I am starting to despise Idzik already

Jetfan13

Too early to tell on Idzik.  So far, I really like what I see.  No "leaks", a quiet Rex, fat trimmed, we're under the cap, tough stance on the Revis trade, Idzik was known as a good finance/ cap guy, and so far that has born out.  What remains to be seen is the personnel side of the GM coin.  2015 will be telling on whether or not he drafts, trades, and aquires FA's well enough to put a long-term contender on the field.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too early to tell on Idzik.  So far, I really like what I see.  No "leaks", a quiet Rex, fat trimmed, we're under the cap, tough stance on the Revis trade, Idzik was known as a good finance/ cap guy, and so far that has born out.  What remains to be seen is the personnel side of the GM coin.  2015 will be telling on whether or not he drafts, trades, and aquires FA's well enough to put a long-term contender on the field.

Rational post.  Any more of that and you will  probably be banned.  JK

I have strong hope that he will do alright on the personnel side.  Guy has a long history of being around football.  His father was a Jets coach.  He started his career as a scout .  He was just smart enough to get a Masters degree in economics.

Also think he is smart enough to listen to  what the people in the scouting department are advising him.  IMO that was one of Tannenbaum’s  downfalls.  He was just to arrogant to listen 

I would have liked at least signing Landry and dumping Holmes. Im worried about the interior D-Line. DiVito was our best run stopper and Pouha was 2nd. I am glad all the lb's r gone, they were all to slow, but just give us a sign of hope. In the long run, it will all probably work out but I hoped w would at least have a shot at play-offs this year. Now Im not so sure.

Understandable.  I wasn't expecting anything this year.  I wouldn't go so far as to root for a flop season because I actually like watching Jets games, like it when we win games, and don't plan on taking the year off.  But there is no way no how that we are winning a superbowl this year.

I'd rather get our house in order for a more realistic run a year later when we won't have 40% our cap eaten up by dead weight ($20M+ dead cap space from Revis and Pace and Scott and Pouha, Sanchez $13M, Harris $13M, Holmes $9M) and holes all over the place.  It's crappy for us as fans, but it'll be crappier to have gobs of usable space eaten up next year by dead weight and look back and wish we'd just taken our medicine a year prior.

Dumping Holmes is easier said than done.  We now have him in a contract year of sorts.  After 2013 he has no more guaranteed money.  In 2014 he has a big salary due.  If he maximizes what he's capable of and is a good boy then he might get it.  If he doesn't, then he's getting cut and won't nearly be the FA commodity that he was when we re-signed him.

Landry I'm torn on.  On the one hand, I liked the play we got out of him in '12 and we can afford him.  His coverage wasn't great, but what safety's coverage is? He hits like a truck and I'm sure some receivers look over their shoulders running a pattern because they don't want Landry blindsiding them into little receiver pieces.  And I just liked his attitude in the 1 year he was here.  On the other hand, some good-performing players with a spotty history (either for health reasons or being a dickhead reasons) like Landry we may be better off with a take the money and run attitude.  Remember that last year this time it was considered "risky" of us to pencil him in as the starter for just one season and we needed a backup plan because no one figures him to last without getting injured.  We got a solid year out of him - for dirt cheap - but if he goes back to missing bunches of games here & there and is unavailable for playoff runs due to one nagging injury or another, then we're better off not being locked in to him for half a decade at 2-3x what we paid him in '12.  Use the cap space on someone else and pocket the 4th round compensatory pick.  I could have gone either way with him.

Pouha is too old to rely on as a 16-game starter and combining him with DeVito on the line at the same time is some of the reason we can't reach the QB (superior run stuffers as they are).  We drafted Ellis and he's going to have to play.  If he turns out to be a (healthy) good one, then a line with Ellis and Coples and Wilkerson sounds pretty good.

Great post.  T0m posted something similar earlier in the thread. 

I too am dying to see what personnel decisions he makes and the details of their contracts.  That for me is what's going to better define him as being a good GM for us.  So far we're just hearing about his non-moves; which, can sometimes be a better litmus test of a good GM. 

Great post.  T0m posted something similar earlier in the thread

I too am dying to see what personnel decisions he makes and the details of their contracts.  That for me is what's going to better define him as being a good GM for us.  So far we're just hearing about his non-moves; which, can sometimes be a better litmus test of a good GM. 

Effing Shane, man.  Pre-stealing my thunder. 

This is where you lose me, but you know that.

Doing the right thing with the roster =/= hanging the coach out to dry. What does it matter what Rex "looks like" coaching a band of misfits, if Idzik is aware of the talent level he supplied Rex, and doesn't care about the media? - like you said. If he's unafraid to do the unpopular thing by trading Revis, he could be equally unafraid of doing the unpopular thing by bringing back Rex should he judge him to be a solid coach over the course of the year.

Agree with this.  Idzik could keep Rex even with a poor record as long as the team showed some heart.  Too many times under Rex we played flat when we had all the motivation to win.  If Rex's team could play hard even though we lack the resources it may factor into Idzik's evaluation.  So far, I like his approach.

Archived