Cimini: Revis Talks Could Heat Up in the Desert

flgreen

Revis talks could heat up in desert

March, 14, 2013

Mar 14

11:00

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

As of now, the Bucs are the only strong suitor for Darrelle Revis, league sources said Thursday, setting up a high-stakes game of poker between them and the Jets.

Senior officials from both teams will be under the same roof at the NFL meetings, starting Sunday in Phoenix. You'd have to think there will be conversations between the two sides as the Revis trade drama (will they or won't they?) stretches to two months.

Both teams have risk; so does Revis. Let's examine:

The Jets: They're taking a deliberate approach, trying to give the impression they're under no pressure to do anything. Technically, they don't because Revis is under contract for another year, but no one really expects it to get that far. The Jets are rebuilding and they want draft picks, so they're willing to listen to offers. They're waiting for an offer they can't refuse -- i.e. the Bucs' first-round pick (13th overall) -- but the Bucs are refusing to part with it, sources said.

If the Jets overplay their hand, they run the risk of alienating the team that wants him the most. They could wait until the summer, when Revis' surgically repaired knee is healthy. In theory, that would make him more marketable, but what kind of market would there be? If they wait until the Week 8 trading deadline, it stands to reason the most interested teams would be contenders, meaning their 2014 first-round picks would be toward the bottom of the round.

The Bucs: First of all, it's risky to trade for a player only five months removed from major surgery, but the Bucs are on board, sources said -- on board at their price, that is. But they want a game changer at cornerback. The Bucs have a terrific safety tandem with Mark Barron and Dashon Goldson, whom they signed for $41 million, but great safeties don't mean much with mediocre corners -- especially in a division with lethal quarterback-receiver combos in Atlanta and New Orleans.

There are some decent cornerback options on the free-agent market, but no one of Revis' caliber. They could draft a cornerback at No. 13, but then you're talking about a learning curve. The Bucs can extend the poker game until the draft, seeing who blinks first. Of course, if they wait, there's always the chance another bidder will get involved.

Revis: The early cornerback market has to be sobering for the Revis camp. The contracts are coming in lower than expected. Sean Smith, one of the top free-agent corners, signed with the Chiefs for only $6 million a year. Obviously, a healthy Revis is an elite player, but it will be hard in this climate to land a deal worth $16 million a year. Of course, it only takes one -- and the Revis camp evidently feels it has that one in the Bucs, who have plenty of cap room and a willingness to spend.

In an ideal world, Revis would rather make his next big score with the Jets, but that probably won't happen. He's looking for greener pastures, and the greenest is located in Tampa. It could be Tampa or bust for Revis, so you can bet there's an increased sense of urgency to make it happen. They're pushing for a Jets-Bucs meeting in Phoenix -- a showdown in the desert to dicuss the future of a player with his own "island."

If they don't trade him before he gets his roster bonus on Saturday, I'm guessing they won't trade him at all. Woody doesn't burn seven-figure checks unless he's forced to coughIRS.

this, but I would amend your comment to :

I'm guessing they won't trade him at all  OR until he shows he's healthy in camp/early season and value rises (especially if some playoff team suffers serious CB injury and is desperate)

this, but I would amend your comment to :

I'm guessing they won't trade him at all  OR until he shows he's healthy in camp/early season and value rises (especially if some playoff team suffers serious CB injury and is desperate)

By the time camps rol around, teams usually have their cap situations sorted out, and most of those dollars spent already. It will take James Andrews fifteen minutes to tell if Revis' knee is ****ed or not. I don't think teams are really that scared off by it as much as they are the money. Even the most expensive corners this year are getting $5-$7 mil.

By the time camps rol around, teams usually have their cap situations sorted out, and most of those dollars spent already. It will take James Andrews fifteen minutes to tell if Revis' knee is ****ed or not. I don't think teams are really that scared off by it as much as they are the money. Even the most expensive corners this year are getting $5-$7 mil.

which is why we may keep him. hopefully he realizes he can stay where he and Geiger like to reside (from his own accounts) than take a few more sheckels from tampa.

which is why we may keep him. hopefully he realizes he can stay where he and Geiger like to reside (from his own accounts) than take a few more sheckels from tampa.

If there's one thing in life I'm sure of, it's that Darrelle Revis will take the sheckels. I don't see any Revis billboards in midtown, but I see a ton of Brady, Adrian Peterson, and Manning ads everywhere I go. Advertisers like guys who score touchdowns, not guys whose name is never called during a game because he's locked down his receiver. Revis and Geiger will find plenty of strip clubs and skeezers in Tampa. 

If there's one thing in life I'm sure of, it's that Darrelle Revis will take the sheckels. I don't see any Revis billboards in midtown, but I see a ton of Brady, Adrian Peterson, and Manning ads everywhere I go. Advertisers like guys who score touchdowns, not guys whose name is never called during a game because he's locked down his receiver. Revis and Geiger will find plenty of strip clubs and skeezers in Tampa. 

Hmmm, or Musicals to attend and Pier One's to shop at ;)

If they don't trade him before he gets his roster bonus on Saturday, I'm guessing they won't trade him at all. Woody doesn't burn seven-figure checks unless he's forced to coughIRS.

Yeah Woody is a cheapskate. When was the last time he spent a significant amount in acquisitions? Besides 2 years ago, 3 years ago, 4 years ago and so on?

Yeah Woody is a cheapskate. When was the last time he spent a significant amount in acquisitions? Besides 2 years ago, 3 years ago, 4 years ago and so on?

The reason Rex is still the coach and that Revis wasn't giving anything more than a band aid extension in 2010 is because of Woody being cheap. 

The reason Rex is still the coach and that Revis wasn't giving anything more than a band aid extension in 2010 is because of Woody being cheap. 

the top corner free agent went for $6 mill.  is revis worth $16 ?

No I don't think he is. I also don't think that really effects the point I made about 2010 though.

Band-aid extension? Who are you, Revis's agent? He got a 4 year $46M contract (if he doesn't hold out).  That's a giant sh*tload for a guy who had 3 years left on his rookie deal.  A rookie deal that would have paid him $20M over the final 2 years as it was.

The deal he got is about the maximum contract Revis could be trusted with.  For Revis, who wants his contract re-evaluated every other year, 4 years IS a long-term deal. If - as you say - he isn't worth $16M/year, and got paid $32M over the first 2 years of that contract, then how is this a band-aid as opposed to a real contract?

I'm sure he made some missteps along the way, but the Revis contract was one of Tannenbaum's better jobs as GM here.  A lesser job of it and Revis would have held out again after 2 years $32M was paid to him no matter how much longer the contract was.  He can't pocket a bunch of bonus money AND get paid the value of Nnamdi's tag + 120% + 120% amount every year. 

It seems to me he wants in excess of the money he'd get as a free agent every year and a long-term contract at the same time.  The greatest QBs in history don't even get that.

Band-aid extension? Who are you, Revis's agent? He got a 4 year $46M contract (if he doesn't hold out).  That's a giant sh*tload for a guy who had 3 years left on his rookie deal.  A rookie deal that would have paid him $20M over the final 2 years as it was.

The deal he got is about the maximum contract Revis could be trusted with.  For Revis, who wants his contract re-evaluated every other year, 4 years IS a long-term deal. If - as you say - he isn't worth $16M/year, and got paid $32M over the first 2 years of that contract, then how is this a band-aid as opposed to a real contract?

I'm sure he made some missteps along the way, but the Revis contract was one of Tannenbaum's better jobs as GM here.  A lesser job of it and Revis would have held out again after 2 years $32M was paid to him no matter how much longer the contract was.  He can't pocket a bunch of bonus money AND get paid the value of Nnamdi's tag + 120% + 120% amount every year. 

It seems to me he wants in excess of the money he'd get as a free agent every year and a long-term contract at the same time.  The greatest QBs in history don't even get that.

If the goal was to keep him at a low cost for 4 years it was a good deal. If the goal was for him to retire as the Jet, it obviously wasn't. Cap people who write about this stuff were saying that in 2010 as soon as the deal was signed.

If the goal was to keep him at a low cost for 4 years it was a good deal. If the goal was for him to retire as the Jet, it obviously wasn't. Cap people who write about this stuff were saying that in 2010 as soon as the deal was signed.

The goal was to keep him in a Jets uniform for as long as possible before his next contract negotiation, or for as long as possible before his cost exceeded his value.  

For some unknown reason you believe that the length of that contract determines how long it takes before they're at the negotiating table with Revis again.  If Revis wants to hold out after 2 years and $32M is paid, what difference does it make if there are 2 years or 5 years left on the contract.  Holding out is holding out.  And in order to take away Revis's holdout leverage, I doubt he was going to allow his fate to be controlled by someone other than Revis for more than 4 years.

Revis wants up front money and THEN for each remaining year to be at the #1 CB level.  I don't know how anyone negotiates with that attitude in a way that keeps him from holding out.

Even more so, at the time we did this contract there was this assumption that by now the cap would be over $140M and climbing.  Imagine how terrible a 7-year contract with Revis would look like if it were created based on those salary cap numbers.  I've got a zillion complaints about Tannenbaum.  This was a good contract for the Jets.  

Is Revis a gay? Serious question. It's always Geiger you hear about. A player of Revis caliber should at least have a Megan Good a la Thomas 'all work' Jones.

The goal was to keep him in a Jets uniform for as long as possible before his next contract negotiation, or for as long as possible before his cost exceeded his value.  

For some unknown reason you believe that the length of that contract determines how long it takes before they're at the negotiating table with Revis again.  If Revis wants to hold out after 2 years and $32M is paid, what difference does it make if there are 2 years or 5 years left on the contract.  Holding out is holding out.  And in order to take away Revis's holdout leverage, I doubt he was going to allow his fate to be controlled by someone other than Revis for more than 4 years.

Revis wants up front money and THEN for each remaining year to be at the #1 CB level.  I don't know how anyone negotiates with that attitude in a way that keeps him from holding out.

Even more so, at the time we did this contract there was this assumption that by now the cap would be over $140M and climbing.  Imagine how terrible a 7-year contract with Revis would look like if it were created based on those salary cap numbers.  I've got a zillion complaints about Tannenbaum.  This was a good contract for the Jets.  

The more years left on his deal the more leverage the Jets have in the situation. Remember, the guy has never actually missed a game because of a hold out and we still don't know if he actually would've ever sat games out. I think we just have a disagreement on if he would've sat games out or even a full season which I don't think he would have.

The more years left on his deal the more leverage the Jets have in the situation. Remember, the guy has never actually missed a game because of a hold out and we still don't know if he actually would've ever sat games out. I think we just have a disagreement on if he would've sat games out or even a full season which I don't think he would have.

Wrong. Just wrong.

Jets only have leverage if they have wording that prevents him from holding out otherwise he's locked in for long-term at cheap dollars.

He was out of shape and injured because of his most recent holdout so it's a matter of a point of view as to him never missing a game due to a holdout.

Wrong. Just wrong.

Jets only have leverage if they have wording that prevents him from holding out otherwise he's locked in for long-term at cheap dollars.

He was out of shape and injured because of his most recent holdout so it's a matter of a point of view as to him never missing a game due to a holdout.

it's only wrong if you think he'd be willing to sit out 3,4,5 years. 

No I don't think he is. I also don't think that really effects the point I made about 2010 though.

sure it does.  not wanting to pay double the market price doesn't make you cheap

find something else to bitch about, you're wrong about this one

it's only wrong if you think he'd be willing to sit out 3,4,5 years.

Wrong is thinking that Revis will allow himself to be locked up for longer with reasonable terms just because you want it to be so.

He got $12M per over 4 years and wanted to hold out after 2 for more guaranteed bonus money.

There is no basis for believing that Revis would allow himself to be locked up for any longer than we have him. He thought he was worth 16,000,000 per year every year long term because that was once Nnamdi's tag #.

You be Tradermadmike and I'll be Revis. Make your proposal.

Wrong is thinking that Revis will allow himself to be locked up for longer with reasonable terms just because you want it to be so.

He got $12M per over 4 years and wanted to hold out after 2 for more guaranteed bonus money.

There is no basis for believing that Revis would allow himself to be locked up for any longer than we have him. He thought he was worth 16,000,000 per year every year long term because that was once Nnamdi's tag #.

You be Tradermadmike and I'll be Revis. Make your proposal.

I'm not an expert in structuring NFL contracts but your argument still rests on the idea that he would hold out with 2,3,4 years left on his deal and sit out prime years of his career.

We're constantly up against the cap.

But don't let that dissuade you, tell me more about Woody being cheap.

I'm not an expert in structuring NFL contracts but your argument still rests on the idea that he would hold out with 2,3,4 years left on his deal and sit out prime years of his career.

1. Cowardly reply. Come up with what you think was such an easy/obvious no-brainer deal.

2. Then why bother even with this deal? According to your logic we should have let him try to sit out 2012.

1. Cowardly reply. Come up with what you think was such an easy/obvious no-brainer deal.

2. Then why bother even with this deal? According to your logic we should have let him try to sit out 2012.

Something with more years and a bigger signing bonus. I'm not an NFL GM or a cap guy but teams sign young stars to long term deals all the time there is no reason they had to be in this situation this year.

You're saying that they should've let him hold out instead of giving him the deal in 2010? Well he really was badly underpaid at that point. He deserved a new deal. 

When was the last time he spent it on the right players?

It's a pass happy league, we have the best corner in it, Revis is a goner.

Archived