who do you like on day two?

sirlancemehlot

Day two (2nd or 3rd) or Day Three (4th thru 7th)

OK, so the draft is right around the corner and word has it this draft is long on depth but short on superstars.  Lots of very good, not a lot of great.  That being said, with the Jets looking ro "re-tool" day two could mean a lot to this team.  Taking into consideration our needs, what's available, and possible sleepers, here are my five day two/three possiblities in no particular draft order:

1. QB  Tyler Bray

Lots of questions about his ability to beat better teams, but at 6'-6", 230 lbs and a 5.05 40 time, he's got all the tools.  Add the fact that his production  from 1983 yards passing in 2011 to 3612 yds in 2012, and you see a guy who may be turning the corner.  Also of note, he's had a 140+ passer rating in each of his past three seasons.  Good time to shop for a backup QB in my opinion.

2. Justin Hunter WR

may not make it to the third rd where the Jets select, but questions about his lean frame and occasional drops could see him fall.  Very athletic and has excellent fast-twitch, tough enough to play gunner on punt team for Tennessee.

3. Travis Kelce TE

Will be A day two guy, possibly as low as a 5th due to a suspension for all of the 2010 season, mediocre career stats and a deep TE class.  Has prototypical size and is an accomplished run-blocker, with the ability to catch and run.  A decent athlete who ran the wildcat as a redshirt freshman.  He, like Bray, may be a late bloomer judging from a huge jump in production late in his college career. 

4. Earl Wolff S

Excellent size and solid instincts, an impact player that really jumps off the tape at times, runs a 4.44 40 time, has excellent read ability and good tyechnique.  Possibly one of the biggest defensive sleepers in the draft.  Different ananlysts have ranked him as high as the fith best safety and as low as the 11th.  From what I've seen, a very underrated prospect.

5. Hugh Thornton G

Superior strenght and quickness for a 6'4" OL, ran a better 40 than Warmack and was onl a hair slower tha cooper at 5.11.  Extremely versatile and has nice footwork, started at both LT and Guard since true freshman year.  Former two-time Idaho state champ wrestler.   Aggressive and physical. Projects at G better than tackle but can backup both and probably start at G within a year's time.

Who you got?

Day 2 includes the 2nd and 3rd round. 

That's the sweet spot for WRs, TEs, RBs and Safties.  I wouldn't be surprised if Idzik maneuvers himself into position to make several selections on that day. 

I could see the #9 or the #13 pick getting auctioned off to the highest bidder for a team looking to land the last remaining OT, Geno Smith or Tavon Austin. 

I am operating under the assumption that we address the pass rush in the 1st round.

RB - Lacey or Bernard (if either slips into Day 2)

WR - Arron Dobson or De Andre Hopkins (no smurfs)

CB - DJ Hayden (fast, easy moving cover guy -- and a great story too)

OL - Kyle Long (can play G or T -- I do not think Howard is the answer at RT)

DT - Sylvester Williams (especially if we are not sold on Ellis)

Day 2 includes the 2nd and 3rd round. 

That's the sweet spot for WRs, TEs, RBs and Safties.  I wouldn't be surprised if Idzik maneuvers himself into position to make several selections on that day. 

I could see the #9 or the #13 pick getting auctioned off to the highest bidder for a team looking to land the last remaining OT, Geno Smith or Tavon Austin. 

Adding picks in the 2nd and 3rd would be a great move.  

DJ Swearinger and Travis Kelce are two personal favorites and I'd be thrilled with either in the third round. Keenan Allen could now be a target after running poorly if they think there's a reason for that and his health checks out (two big if's). I like Mike Glennon but don't really think it makes sense to go QB this year.

2nd Round targets

E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
Larry Warford, G, Kentucky
Sio Moore, OLB/ILB, Connecticut
Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford

3rd Round targets

Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
Dallas Thomas, G/T, Tennessee

Dude, there are sh*t tons of good players in the 2-3 rounds this year.  Well known analysts are saying that the quality of the players projected between 11 and 50 doesn't change hardly at all.  I'm hoping that between the Revis trade, and trading down with one of the first round picks, we can end up with 5 or even 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.  We can really rebuild this team quickly if we hit these draft picks.

OLB

Corey Lemonier (love him)

Alex Okafor

Jamie Collins

Damontre Moore

S

Jon Cyprian (love him)

Eric Reid

Matt Elam

G/T

Larry Warford

Kyle Long