How many wins will save Rex?

AFJF

Lets cut the bullsh*t about the 1 losing season stat.  Rex has had 1 good season, 1 bad season and 3 mediocre seasons record-wise.  He isnt some awesome head coach that annually wins over 10 games.  

As for good head coach or not... he isnt.  He's too loyal to players.  Too slow to make changes in players, strategy or coaching staff.  He;s too worried about being a cheerleader and mouthpiece than he is about fixing the obvious problems staring him in the face,

But, if Rex does get canned after this year, it is all on Idzik then.  But he wont be going anywhere for at least 4 years.  And it wont matter who the coach is.. big name or not.  Lots of big names fail. Lots of no-names succeed.

Rex is just not a grown up.  Last year his performance in the press room was positively unmanly.  He was like a little boy crying after losses. This year he has to prove he is a grown up.  If he retreats behind his wall of defensive meetings and does not coach the whole team, he will be gone.  He has to recognize what his responsibility is and rise to meet it.  I do not think Idzik is any kind of a hatchet man.  I do not think he has his people, so to speak.  He is cool and analytical.  I like him.  Can he draft.  We will soon get an inkling.

Rex is a dead man walking. No amount of wins saves his job. Idzik is replacing him no matter what.

And it will be a sad day.

Our new GM traded away possibly the best player we've ever had and is going to fire the best HC we've ever had.

1. Weeb

2. Parcells

45. Rex

46. Herm

47. Lou Holtz

Lets cut the bullsh*t about the 1 losing season stat.  Rex has had 1 good season, 1 bad season and 3 mediocre seasons record-wise.  He isnt some awesome head coach that annually wins over 10 games.  

As for good head coach or not... he isnt.  He's too loyal to players.  Too slow to make changes in players, strategy or coaching staff.  He;s too worried about being a cheerleader and mouthpiece than he is about fixing the obvious problems staring him in the face,

But, if Rex does get canned after this year, it is all on Idzik then.  But he wont be going anywhere for at least 4 years.  And it wont matter who the coach is.. big name or not.  Lots of big names fail. Lots of no-names succeed.

2009 the Jets were an avg team, got lucky because the Colts essentially benched their starters for a half and the rest is history.

2010 they had a very good year.  

2011 they were avg to below avg.

2012 they were a below avg team.

I agree that the Jets under Ryan haven't been a great team. They were a lucky team, but isn't that how it works for most coaches?  What's Tomlin really done in Pittsburgh but win a super bowl with another coaches team?  What did Gruden do in Tampa besides win a super bowl with some other coaches team?   And really, what the hell did Dungy do but choke away playoff games most of his HC career?   

Ryan knows defense.   You go into this season knowing that Ryan will at least have a team who plays defense.   They night not be what they once were, but they still will have moments.    Bringing in a new coach, you need something.    And you need a HC who probably will have to listen to whatever Idzik is selling. It seems Idzik is in control, wants that control, and most start HC aren't going to want that kind of team.  They usually demand a certain power.   

Idzik seems more on the path of a AJ Smith.   He's in control.   Whether that works or not, we will find out.

Rex should receive an award for making those sh*t rosters into legitimate contenders.  The guy inherited, Kellen Clemens, Thomas Jones, Chansi Stuckey and Dustin Keller on offense and had the team a half away from the SB two years in a row.  Its a minor miracle really.  Rex has been the one consistent strength of the NY Jets.  He's a great HC.

No names succeed?  Like who?  lol

Rex should receive an award for making those sh*t rosters into legitimate contenders.  The guy inherited, Kellen Clemens, Thomas Jones, Chansi Stuckey and Dustin Keller on offense and had the team a half away from the SB two years in a row.  Its a minor miracle really.  Rex has been the one consistent strength of the NY Jets.  He's a great HC.

No names succeed?  Like who?  lol

No names succeed when they take over good rosters. And even then they have some sort of assistant track record. Or pedigree.    If the jets go 4-12 next year and it doesn't seem like any of their drafted kids are special,  a no name coach is going to take over a bad team.  That doesn't usually translate into success.     At least with Ryan, the Jets didn't seem like a 'rebuild' kind of team.   And honestly this years team, it's Idzik's team, not Ryan's.

Agree with those who say might not be pure wins/loses that decides his fate. If the team fights hard all the way and shows improvement, he stays. If it quits or there is locker room turmoil then only playoffs can save him.

I think 8 Wins changes the trend for the team. 8 wins gets Rex a reprieve. HOWEVER, explain to me the following....why hire a top gun like Marty Morningweg if you are going to replace the Coach in a year? Do we then HANDCUFF the next coach by agreeing to keep Marty in place? If its a lesser extension of the situation that Rex has now? I mean if that is the case they should have just promoted someone in house for OC.

Again, keeping Rex for one year makes no sense if you bring in external coaches to assist him. It would have made more sense to promote internally all the coaches rather than go out and hire externals who may be here one year with Ryan and then have to leave as a new coach cleans house.

Good point above.

If you're not really giving Rex a fair shot and are preparing to just unload him anyway, why bring in Mornhinweig, a respected OC, to help him turn it around?

I don't understand this move at all either.  And it's not like the guy is some great HC. He kind of sucked as a HC. And what does he really have to work with on this offense ?   Maybe they really are hoping Sanchez pulls an Alex Smith.  Who knows.   Because there really is no reason to pay a Marty M and then if the team just isn't good, fire everybody anyway.

I think 8 Wins changes the trend for the team. 8 wins gets Rex a reprieve. HOWEVER, explain to me the following....why hire a top gun like Marty Morningweg if you are going to replace the Coach in a year? Do we then HANDCUFF the next coach by agreeing to keep Marty in place? If its a lesser extension of the situation that Rex has now? I mean if that is the case they should have just promoted someone in house for OC.

Again, keeping Rex for one year makes no sense if you bring in external coaches to assist him. It would have made more sense to promote internally all the coaches rather than go out and hire externals who may be here one year with Ryan and then have to leave as a new coach cleans house.

Mornhinweg usually gets a HC interview IIRC. I expect the Jets wanted first dibs this time. 

The article this article was based around has floated around for years:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2012/1/21/2723928/is-marty-mornhinweg-the-next-great-head-coach

As far as Sanchez, of course they're hoping he is a late bloomer. If he actually won the starting job and had a good season then this whole rebuild thing gets alot easier. 

Archived