"Familiarize yourselves with Jarvis Jones"

Gastineau Lives

it's very easy to make a mock draft that doesn't have Jarvis in the first round. 

He's got medical red flags. He's not very big. He's extremely slow. His production, while impressive, is more of the try hard variety not the physical freak variety. 

There's a place for guys like this, it's the 2nd round. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, fine and I can dig that...but, calling him a "horrific" prospect or whatever, is silly.  He's far from horrific. 

If you guys don’t stop picking on me about that, I’ll never speak to any of you again.  I may even hold my breath.  So there.

Actually I didn’t specifically say Austin was horrific, I said all the  O talent in the top ten was horrific.   That may have been a bit dramatic.  Even Geno isn’t actually horrific.  That wouldn’t stop me from throwing a tantrum if the Jets select him at 9 or 13.

The Jets lost 7 starters, or major contributors, on the D.  IMO the D talent at that point in the draft is superior to any O talent that is going to be available. 

I'm with you for the most part, except for Vlad.  I see him as a career backup at best. 

As for Austin flying up the draft boards, I think he's become a media darling more than a legitimate top ten prospect.  His tape is flashy and exciting, a much easier article to write than say "which guard has better balance" or "which Tackle slides laterally the best".  A top ten prospect should have all the stars aligned in his facor from tape, to personality, to combine numbers to prototype physical attributes.  Which is why I think Mingo is overrated as well.  I don't see Austin going top ten Thursday night.  Too much of a Ted Ginn Jr. situation.

Vlad is ok. but even if Vlad stinks they can find guards. if not in later rounds, in their own team. They could start Caleb Schlauderaff. Or dennis Landholt. It won't be great but it would be acceptable (probably).

Tavon Austin is like if ted ginn was 4 inches shorter and not an idiot. Young Santana Moss? I'll take that.  

it's very easy to make a mock draft that doesn't have Jarvis in the first round. 

He's got medical red flags. He's not very big. He's extremely slow. His production, while impressive, is more of the try hard variety not the physical freak variety. 

There's a place for guys like this, it's the 2nd round. 

Friendly, gain nothing but I told you so mans beat that he goes in the first? 

If you guys don’t stop picking on me about that, I’ll never speak to any of you again.  I may even hold my breath.  So there.

Actually I didn’t specifically say Austin was horrific, I said all the  O talent in the top ten was horrific.   That may have been a bit dramatic.  Even Geno isn’t actually horrific.  That wouldn’t stop me from throwing a tantrum if the Jets select him at 9 or 13.

The Jets lost 7 starters, or major contributors, on the D.  IMO the D talent at that point in the draft is superior to any O talent that is going to be available. 

YOU SAID IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree because of the OL talent.  Skills?  Yes, D is definitely stronger.  But there are legitimately 5 OL prospect who could go top 10, so I disagree for that reason alone.

they also signed guys for the D. Barnes, Garay, D. Landry, Pace (re-sign). Pouha is still out there. They signed two offensive players, David Gerrard and Willie Colon. Offense is still in far worse shape than D. 

Vlad is ok. but even if Vlad stinks they can find guards. if not in later rounds, in their own team. They could start Caleb Schlauderaff. Or dennis Landholt. It won't be great but it would be acceptable (probably).

Tavon Austin is like if ted ginn was 4 inches shorter and not an idiot. Young Santana Moss? I'll take that.  

This is like a total 180 turn from you huh?  lol.  Not knocking you, I do it too...I just get a kick out of how much we all change our opinion as the draft get closer.  

Like Coples last year....I was 100% about Ingram until I started hearing Coples could slide...then I was like, **** THAT, TAKE COPLES!!!  haha

they also signed guys for the D. Barnes, Garay, D. Landry, Pace (re-sign). Pouha is still out there. They signed two offensive players, David Gerrard and Willie Colon. Offense is still in far worse shape than D. 

...and Goodson.  I'm interested to see if they get a deal done for Ivory and what it might be.  

This is like a total 180 turn from you huh?  lol.  Not knocking you, I do it too...I just get a kick out of how much we all change our opinion as the draft get closer.  

Like Coples last year....I was 100% about Ingram until I started hearing Coples could slide...then I was like, **** THAT, TAKE COPLES!!!  haha

some people call it flip flopping. I look at it as an emotional hedge. I want the Jets to take a guard. But they have a tradition of not doing what I want. if they take a guard and my mock is wrong I'm happy. if they take a WR and my mock is right I'm also happy (even tho I personally might want a guard). 

I guess you haven't seen all the decent CB free agents. My original post was about drafting a playmaker and now you use that as your second sentence. And we were talking about drafting two defensive players in the first round. I say **** that no way.

You still haven't explained why our pass defense was number two last year, by the way. And don't say because our run defense and offense sucked, because I will then show how that is a fallacy. Go on, do it.

You should change your screenname to Mezzo Sciangata. :winking0001:

I have seen the decent cb free agents...and that means what?  Ok so you want an OG who is a playmaker...good luck with that.....and I would take two defensive players in 1st round before a defensive player and a OG in the 1st...  

Why do i have to explain why our pass defense was #2 last year? But if I'm gonna answer that useless and pointless question(which falls in sync with most of your posts) I would say - bc nobody had to throw the ball on us!!!! Genius!

By the way...thanks for the dumb recommendation to change my screename, how creative of your one track mind ...but since were on topic, why don't you go change yours to cazzo di merda  :winking0001:

I have seen the decent cb free agents...and that means what?  Ok so you want an OG who is a playmaker...good luck with that.....and I would take two defensive players in 1st round before a defensive player and a OG in the 1st...  

Why do i have to explain why our pass defense was #2 last year? But if I'm gonna answer that useless and pointless question(which falls in sync with most of your posts) I would say - bc nobody had to throw the ball on us!!!! Genius!

By the way...thanks for the dumb recommendation to change my screename, how creative of your one track mind ...but since were on topic, why don't you go change yours to cazzo di merda  :winking0001:

See that's why you are Mezzo Sciangata. Because teams threw the ball on us 13 more times on us for the whole season combined than they did in 2011. GENIUS.

See that's why you are Mezzo Shangata. Because teams threw the ball on us 13 more times on us for the whole season combined than they did in 2011. GENIUS.

Umm ok..... I bet you couldn't wait to take that useless stat out of your back pocket...it means nothing

You write phonetically, don't you? Sooounnddd it outttt. OWWWERRRRRRR NAIIINNTTHHHH PICKKKKKK. Wrong diphthong, ding dong.

Uhhhh ooooooh...he got me on a auto correct typo...i am so ashamed of myself..... that must of just made you feel so smart, you get a sticker bo-bo

Uhhhh ooooooh...he got me on a auto correct typo...i am so ashamed of myself..... that must of just made you feel so smart, you get a sticker bo-bo

Couple of questions:

Do you think offense is important?

Do you think we had a good one?

If yes to number one and no to number two, when do you propose we start to fix the offense?

You write phonetically, don't you? Sooounnddd it outttt. OWWWERRRRRRR NAIIINNTTHHHH PICKKKKKK. Wrong diphthong, ding dong.

Edited by Gastineau Lives, Today, 01:42 PM. >>>>>>  Apparently your having trouble with spelling when writing almost 98% of your posts...can you ever not edit your post or is that your mommy comes and does a quick spell check for you and make you correct your grammer? LOL 

Edited by Gastineau Lives, Today, 01:42 PM. >>>>>>  Apparently your having trouble with spelling when writing almost 98% of your posts...can you ever not edit your post or is that your mommy comes and does a quick spell check for you and make you correct your grammer? LOL 

Lame. Especially when you can't even SPELL grammar. You sure can spell LOL, though.

Lulzacoaster

Why would you want an OG with the 9th pick overall? There are more than enough decent guards in free agency each year and later in the draft as well. You draft play makers in the top 10 or even a cornerstone OT that's gonna dominate right/left side of the line for 10 years!!  So gimme a cb or a pass rusher or even a OT for our 9th pick.....BUT NOT A DAMN OFFENSIVE GUARD!!!!!

This is the thing. If you really want to run the old ground and pound offense that you are apparently bent on, having a Pro Bowl guard next to your Pro Bowl center and Pro Bowl tackle might be something you would want to look into, don't you think? You're already drafting a pass rusher (or cornerback) to help the pass defense that was number two last year, giving up a 53% completion rate and 6.5 ypa.

And no, I don't want a guard, I want Tavon Austin. Want him so bad that I've thrown away all my Justin Bieber posters and painted my bedroom navy and gold.

Why would you want an OG with the 9th pick overall? There are more than enough decent guards in free agency each year and later in the draft as well. You draft play makers in the top 10 or even a cornerstone OT that's gonna dominate right/left side of the line for 10 years!!  So gimme a cb or a pass rusher or even a OT for our 9th pick.....BUT NOT A DAMN OFFENSIVE GUARD!!!!!

The Jets don't need a tackle.

Lame. Especially when you can't even SPELL grammar. You sure can spell LOL, though.

Bro, I'm typing from my friggen tablet! sometimes i hit a "e" rather than an "a"  or it auto-corrects one word for another, why are such an annoying nitpicker??  You think I dont see the squiggly red line under the misspelled word??Or maybe is it I just dont give a fcuk bc i didn't think I was talking to my 3rd grade teacher.   Grow some

Got it.  Kyle Wilson and Austin Howard are strengths now.  YOU DRAFT THE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER.  If you do not, you are stupid.  If it's a guard, fine.  If it's a DT, take him.  Don't be a puss. 

Austin Howard was fine last season, he doesn't need to be replaced right now. Wilson is mediocre but I've been over a million times with you why the Jets shouldn't draft another CB.

Austin Howard was fine last season, he doesn't need to be replaced right now. Wilson is mediocre but I've been over a million times with you why the Jets shouldn't draft another CB.

Do you not understand what I am saying?  DRAFTING FOR NEED IS ******* STUPID.  Even stupider is NOT drafting for a perceived lack of need.  For example making a position off-limits because you have a player the caliber of Austin Howard or Kyle Wilson.  Suppose Joeckel falls, you are going to pass on him because you are set with Austin Howard and he "is fine"?  You'd be a candidate for worst GM in history. 

The guy is also Devin Hester returning punts and kickoffs.

Injuries? How many games did Wes Welker miss because of injury? He's never played less than 14 games in a season. Austin is an inch shorter and eleven pounds lighter, which means he's got just about the same body mass. He's also never missed a game due to injury and doesn't take gigantic hits because of his quickness, hell many of his td runs would count if they were playing two hand touch.

He's a (much, it's not even close) faster, quicker Wes Welker. A singular talent. No way do you pass on him for fear of a)Something that has never happened (injury) or b ) Him "busting" (highly unlikely)

I'm not denying his potential. I'm questioning whether his talent is worth more than TWO other players that can be drafted should we auction our pick off for the rights to select him.  A WR and a TE, for example. 

I'm not denying his potential. I'm questioning whether his talent is worth more than TWO other players that can be drafted should we auction our pick off for the rights to select him.  A WR and a TE, for example. 

I don't think we'll be holding an auction. We're not the only house on the block holding a yard sale.

We can draft Escobar later in the draft, or Kelce or McDonald.

Do you not understand what I am saying?  DRAFTING FOR NEED IS ******* STUPID.  Even stupider is NOT drafting for a perceived lack of need.  For example making a position off-limits because you have a player the caliber of Austin Howard or Kyle Wilson.  Suppose Joeckel falls, you are going to pass on him because you are set with Austin Howard and he "is fine"?  You'd be a candidate for worst GM in history. 

Joeckel isn't a RT so the jets shouldn't be drafting him. Fisher is. Austin Howard is a league average starter, Wilson is terrible. They aren't the same and shouldn't be lumped together.

I don't think we'll be holding an auction. We're not the only house on the block holding a yard sale.

We can draft Escobar later in the draft, or Kelce or McDonald.

Drafting a legitimate #1 or #2 receiver would kick Kerley into the slot, where he would be as (if not more) effective as he was in the #2 role last year.  Pairing that with a much improved Stephen Hill would be a trio worth fielding.  Yes, we need a TE and can draft one anywhere in the top-4 rounds and be improved at the position. 

Drafting Tavon Austin vs. trading down and allowing someone else to draft him is a question of net worth. 

I believe the net worth of two picks is better than the net worth of one Austin.  In your example we would just allocate another draft pick to a later round TE.  That's fine, I really don't care when we address the position.  But, the extra pick can be used to benefit the team in another way, say a top-shelf safety or running back. 

Archived