Will Campbell

hailtoyourvictor

I know most of you probably don't know much about Campbell, and I wouldn't expect you to. I have watched every Michigan game for the past umpteen years and have some ties to the Michigan Footall program. That being said, this is my breakdown of your 6th round pick.

Campbell has 1st round size and strength. He has 1st round talent. He has had 6th round production. He dominated high school by simply being stronger than everybody and found out, the hard way, that doesn't fly in college. He needed to be worked with and taught fundementals (stance, pad level, etc.). The problem is, as most of you know, Rich Rodriguez completely neglected the defense. Take a look at the turn around Campbell has had under and NFL D Coordinator (Mattison). He has completely transformed his body and attitude and the results followed suit.

Don't be fooled by the felony charge he had last year. You won't find a better personality. He was one of the most liked guys on the team last year. He tried to pull a Duke's of Hazard esque hood slide as a joke, but 340 pounds doesn't tread car hoods too well. There was no chance that felony charge was going to hold, and it didn't.

Campbell's biggest issue in college was technique. He was not good at "playing low". A switch to offensive line might be huge, because 50% of the time you aren't trying to be low. If he plays guard for you guys, then that number increases (leverage isn't needed when you pull). He moves pretty well for a guy his size, so I think he will be fine with a transtion to guard.

Lastly, he is very young. He was an early enrollee at Michigan and also graduated a semester early. He graduated with a 4 year degree from them Universtiy of Michigan in 3 1/2 years, at the age of 21.

I know most of you probably don't know much about Campbell, and I wouldn't expect you to. I have watched every Michigan game for the past umpteen years and have some ties to the Michigan Footall program. That being said, this is my breakdown of your 6th round pick.

Campbell has 1st round size and strength. He has 1st round talent. He has had 6th round production. He dominated high school by simply being stronger than everybody and found out, the hard way, that doesn't fly in college. He needed to be worked with and taught fundementals (stance, pad level, etc.). The problem is, as most of you know, Rich Rodriguez completely neglected the defense. Take a look at the turn around Campbell has had under and NFL D Coordinator (Mattison). He has completely transformed his body and attitude and the results followed suit.

Don't be fooled by the felony charge he had last year. You won't find a better personality. He was one of the most liked guys on the team last year. He tried to pull a Duke's of Hazard esque hood slide as a joke, but 340 pounds doesn't tread car hoods too well. There was no chance that felony charge was going to hold, and it didn't.

Campbell's biggest issue in college was technique. He was not good at "playing low". A switch to offensive line might be huge, because 50% of the time you aren't trying to be low. If he plays guard for you guys, then that number increases (leverage isn't needed when you pull). He moves pretty well for a guy his size, so I think he will be fine with a transtion to guard.

Lastly, he is very young. He was an early enrollee at Michigan and also graduated a semester early. He graduated with a 4 year degree from them Universtiy of Michigan in 3 1/2 years, at the age of 21.

Felonies are no problem.  Most of my friends have multiple felonies and every one is very like-able -- damn near lovable. 

Campbell has 1st round size and strength. He has 1st round talent. He has had 6th round production. He dominated high school by simply being stronger than everybody and found out, the hard way, that desist fly in college. He needed to be worked with and taught fundementals (stance, pad level, etc.). The problem is, as most of you know, Rich Rodriguez completely neglected the defense. Take a look at the turn around Campbell has had under and NFL D Coordinator (Mattison). He has completely transformed his body and attitude and the results followed suit.

I really like this guy great great value at 6th round this guy is a mountain

Out of curiosity, what is the state of your offensive line? Do you think Campbell has a decent shot at landing on the 53 man roster? You guys are more likely to use him at guard than tackle, I assume?

Without seeing him play the position, he sounds like a guy you try to carry on the practice squad.

Without seeing him play the position, he sounds like a guy you try to carry on the practice squad.

I think the only thing he has going for him is that he was a three year varsity starter as an OT in high school (only 2 year DT) and was considered a blue chip recruit as an OT, but felt he had better pro-potential on the defensive side of the ball. Was apparently considering the switch prior to this season before the coaching change.  Should really be interesting to see what comes of this, as it would be nice to replace Brandon Moore with his replica.

We're probably looking at two to three years before we know what his value is.  He is not plug and play at any position.

That's why i didn't like this pick. There is a good chance that in 2016 he's Brandon Moore but we need warm bodies who can play NOW with all the holes on this team.

Out of curiosity, what is the state of your offensive line? Do you think Campbell has a decent shot at landing on the 53 man roster? You guys are more likely to use him at guard than tackle, I assume?

The Jets drafted two guard/tackles ahead of him. It's a position of need on the team. It really comes down to a competition with his fellow rookies, and at least one free agent. 

That's why i didn't like this pick. There is a good chance that in 2016 he's Brandon Moore but we need warm bodies who can play NOW with all the holes on this team.

The team wasn't going to be good this year either way. If this guy turns out to be a beast, it's a good pick. 

Archived