Ireland's Dolphins = Tannenbaum's "Jets South"

Integrity28

I fully expect us to beat the Bucs week one. Freeman will have an awfull night and we will run it down their throat. The Bucs front 7 is incredibly weak,

Thats not true.  The Bucs front 7 is really strong.  If I'm not mistaken, they were the best team in the league vs. the run last  year.  Least amount of total yards, lowest yards per run, least yards per game.  But they were the were the worst in the league vs. the pass, hence the Gholdson and Revis signings.

this thread is underrating Ryan tannehill. As Jets fans we hope he sucks. but his completion % was 58.3 as a rookie. 

No, this thread is considering that the Dolphins have no left tackle.

Well, I think Rex can stymie Josh Freeman with his schemes.  And Freeman will turn it over.  So yes, thereis a good chance.  It is a home game, isn't it?

Biggest test we have week 1 is showing we can shut down the run like we did when Rex first got here.

Thats not true.  The Bucs front 7 is really strong.  If I'm not mistaken, they were the best team in the league vs. the run last  year.  Least amount of total yards, lowest yards per run, least yards per game.  But they were the were the worst in the league vs. the pass, hence the Gholdson and Revis signings.

They lost players from their front 7 and part of the reason the stats show them as being good verse the run is because teams didnt need to run it on them......they could just throw.

Huge moves?

They were mostly high-cost moves, for players that will never live up to their contracts. LOL

we've been in this austerity mode that says vet minimum signings are just as good as big ticket signings. And that cap space is king. 

I don't think Miami will win a championship but they will be better than they were and probably better than the Jets. 

we've been in this austerity mode that says vet minimum signings are just as good as big ticket signings. And that cap space is king. 

I don't think Miami will win a championship but they will be better than they were and probably better than the Jets. 

Better than the Jets currently are or better than the Jets were?  Because those are two very different things.  I wouldn't be completely shocked if they ended up with a better record than the Jets this year, but I wouldn't call it a given either.  That said, I highly doubt they match the Jets' success in Rex's first two years.  I don't think they'll make the playoffs and even if they do sneak in, I'd bet on them being one and done.

As excited as you can be we are rebuilding we max out at 4 wins! No linebackers and a rookie corner and no safety's equals trouble

This is hysterical.  I know you are just trolling, but a max of 4 wins and you are only going to blame it on the defense?  Way to go all in. 

I think they'll be about 90% as good as the Jets were in Rex's first 2 years, and I remain confident that this current Jets team will scrap with Miami for 2nd in the division.

Just reading about Jake Long taking less money to play in St. Louis, the bloated contracts given to Mike Wallace, Ellerbe, while the offensive line was neglected in front of a young, promising QB... It's hard not to draw the comparison.

I wanted to be first to slap that label on them... Because it'll become painfully apparent when the wheels come off for them.

We will battle for 2nd in this division, and I won't be shocked if after 12 games we are being talked about for a possible playoff spot.

Top 8 defense. Top 8 running game. Middle of the pack passing game, but FAR less turnovers. Book it!

This could happen, but in order for it to happen the Jets are going to have to get Garrard to stay healthy, or Sanchez to have a major bounce back year.    That’s a lot to ask

This could happen, but in order for it to happen the Jets are going to have to get Garrard to stay healthy, or Sanchez to have a major bounce back year.    That’s a lot to ask

We have 3 options at QB, Garrard, Geno and Sanchez without Sporano, all 3 are better options than last year. Plus, we improved the line and the run game. I don't think it's beyound reason that this could translate into 1-3 more wins than we had last year.

Biggest test we have week 1 is showing we can shut down the run like we did when Rex first got here.

I think Rex is a good defensive coach.  Never said he wasn't.  And he has some pieces to work wirth, although I worry about the LBs.  If he has some talent, we will not lose a ton of games.

They lost players from their front 7 and part of the reason the stats show them as being good verse the run is because teams didnt need to run it on them......they could just throw.

How do you determine that? How many more rushes a game would a team run on them if they had a good pass defense? 3.5 a carry is a good average to give up. Teams ran the ball on the Steelers .8 more times a game. Are you saying the Steelers weren't good against the run. Who in the top ten would you say was good against the run?

How do you determine that? How many more rushes a game would a team run on them if they had a good pass defense? 3.5 a carry is a good average to give up. Teams ran the ball on the Steelers .8 more times a game. Are you saying the Steelers weren't good against the run. Who in the top ten would you say was good against the run?

Tampa had by far the worst pass defense in the league. Teams averaged almost 300 yards a game on them. They lost their best pass rusher and their nose tackle in free agency. Their linebackers are very average. You don't have to believe me though - you can ask any of their fans on their forums if you would like or look at the scouting report on their personnel. Why are you bringing up Pitt? They have a completely different defense.

Well, I think Rex can stymie Josh Freeman with his schemes.  And Freeman will turn it over.  So yes, thereis a good chance.  It is a home game, isn't it?

I acytually agree. I think Rex can completely out scheme Freeman's abilities, but I am not convinced we will be scoring many points this season. That's been our problem

I acytually agree. I think Rex can completely out scheme Freeman's abilities, but I am not convinced we will be scoring many points this season. That's been our problem

that is the fly in the ointment.  But I worry about that more with teams who have good scoring capability.  TB does not impress me that way.

Tampa had by far the worst pass defense in the league. Teams averaged almost 300 yards a game on them. They lost their best pass rusher and their nose tackle in free agency. Their linebackers are very average. You don't have to believe me though - you can ask any of their fans on their forums if you would like or look at the scouting report on their personnel. Why are you bringing up Pitt? They have a completely different defense.

I'm just challenging your logic that they had a good run d because teams passed on them well. As if teams passed all day on them compared to other teams. And what that has to do with average...

Impossible!  They were 7-9 last year with wins over powerhouses like the Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs and Panthers (twice). 

They're going to be different, and not insignificantly.  They were 4-4 when Nicks went down for the season; 3-5 after that, and probably would have been 2-6 if Atlanta played like they gave a crap in week 17.  After beating up on the NFL's punching bag in Oakland, their stud rookie RB would then have trouble getting rushing yards against Atlanta (50 yds on 21 carries) & St.Louis (62 yds on 18 carries).  Davin Joseph also missed the entire season.  After looking solid as a 1st round rookie in '11, DE Adrian Clayborn went on IR after busting up his knee in week 3.

Additions compared to most of 2012 (at least for week 1, when we play them):

- Davin Joseph replaces Jamon Meredith

- Carl Nicks replaces Ted Larsen

- Darrelle Revis replaces E.J. Biggers

- Dashon Goldson replaces Ronde Barber

- Adrian Clayborn replaces Daniel Te'o-Nesheim

Right off the bat that's 4 pieces of garbage (including Barber at his age) replaced by 3 first team all-pros plus another pro bowler.

- Just like we expect players like Coples to improve from year 1 to year 2, I think they expect Mark Barron to do the same (and his job just got a whole lot easier with two first team all pros joining the secondary now).

- Eric Wright just lost a fortune for being a complete moron and is now playing for a new contract (plus he can double his '13 money with incentives).

- Douchebag Blount is out of the locker room.

- Freeman gets both his WR starters returning (familiarity/continuity and all that I was told was so important for Sanchez) plus added Ogletree and Smith as #3/#4

Look, they still have to show it on the field, but on paper they're going to have 5 potential beasts replacing 5 wastes of space.  The only loss I can see is 2011 2nd rounder Bowers moving into the starting spot after they decided not to match the 1-year deal Seattle offered Bennett (and even though he got 9 sacks, he was playing with a torn rotator cuff the whole 2012 season anyway).  With plenty of cap space to bring him back, Schiano seemed confident in the younger guy who's still only 23 (this year he's the guy they're "expecting double digit sacks" from).  Apparently tore his Achilles last spring so he took a while to get his sea legs even after he came off the PUP list.  So Schiano, who coached them both, doesn't see it as a downgrade.  We'll see if he's right.  They already had the NFL's #1 rush defense and just added two serious studs in their secondary to replace two outright liability DB starters.

Long-term they're not going to be able to keep their current squad together, but short term it looks like they actually could make some noise if Freeman can be a not-sucky QB.  

It's a bit simplistic to say last year we were 6-10 and they were 7-9 so therefore this year we should also be evenly matched.  I know you know better than to assume a team gets no better when it replaces 4 backup-level starters with 4 pro bowlers.  Surely you wouldn't think it insignificant if they lost those 4 players from last year to this year.

Of course if Freeman - who isn't so marvelous to begin with - regresses in '13 like his '09 draft buddy Sanchez did in '12, though, none of the above will matter much. 

I'm just challenging your logic that they had a good run d because teams passed on them well. As if teams passed all day on them compared to other teams. And what that has to do with average...

It cool. I wasn't saying that there is always a correlation. It is only true in some cases. 

They're going to be different, and not insignificantly.  They were 4-4 when Nicks went down for the season; 3-5 after that, and probably would have been 2-6 if Atlanta played like they gave a crap in week 17.  After beating up on the NFL's punching bag in Oakland, their stud rookie RB would then have trouble getting rushing yards against Atlanta (50 yds on 21 carries) & St.Louis (62 yds on 18 carries).  Davin Joseph also missed the entire season.  After looking solid as a 1st round rookie in '11, DE Adrian Clayborn went on IR after busting up his knee in week 3.

Additions compared to most of 2012 (at least for week 1, when we play them):

- Davin Joseph replaces Jamon Meredith

- Carl Nicks replaces Ted Larsen

- Darrelle Revis replaces E.J. Biggers

- Dashon Goldson replaces Ronde Barber

- Adrian Clayborn replaces Daniel Te'o-Nesheim

Right off the bat that's 4 pieces of garbage (including Barber at his age) replaced by 3 first team all-pros plus another pro bowler.

- Just like we expect players like Coples to improve from year 1 to year 2, I think they expect Mark Barron to do the same (and his job just got a whole lot easier with two first team all pros joining the secondary now).

- Eric Wright just lost a fortune for being a complete retard and is now playing for a new contract (plus he can double his '13 money with incentives).

- Douchebag Blount is out of the locker room.

- Freeman gets both his WR starters returning (familiarity/continuity and all that I was told was so important for Sanchez) plus added Ogletree and Smith as #3/#4

Look, they still have to show it on the field, but on paper they're going to have 5 potential beasts replacing 5 wastes of space.  The only loss I can see is 2011 2nd rounder Bowers moving into the starting spot after they decided not to match the 1-year deal Seattle offered Bennett (and even though he got 9 sacks, he was playing with a torn rotator cuff the whole 2012 season anyway).  With plenty of cap space to bring him back, Schiano seemed confident in the younger guy who's still only 23 (this year he's the guy they're "expecting double digit sacks" from).  Apparently tore his Achilles last spring so he took a while to get his sea legs even after he came off the PUP list.  So Schiano, who coached them both, doesn't see it as a downgrade.  We'll see if he's right.  They already had the NFL's #1 rush defense and just added two serious studs in their secondary to replace two outright liability DB starters.

Long-term they're not going to be able to keep their current squad together, but short term it looks like they actually could make some noise if Freeman can be a not-sucky QB.  

It's a bit simplistic to say last year we were 6-10 and they were 7-9 so therefore this year we should also be evenly matched.  I know you know better than to assume a team gets no better when it replaces 4 backup-level starters with 4 pro bowlers.  Surely you wouldn't think it insignificant if they lost those 4 players from last year to this year.

Of course if Freeman - who isn't so marvelous to begin with - regresses in '13 like his '09 draft buddy Sanchez did in '12, though, none of the above will matter much. 

I have no problem with any of this. It doesn't change my point in the slightest.  Beating the Buccaneers is not an insurmountable task.  Adding all those guys is nice, but I will wait to see it on the field.  I think they will be like last year's Colts.  A good team that the Jets are perfectly capable of demolishing. Of course the Jets are perfectly capable of flopping against them like they did against the Titans and Chargers, but...

I have no problem with any of this. It doesn't change my point in the slightest.  Beating the Buccaneers is not an insurmountable task.  Adding all those guys is nice, but I will wait to see it on the field.  I think they will be like last year's Colts.  A good team that the Jets are perfectly capable of demolishing. Of course the Jets are perfectly capable of flopping against them like they did against the Titans and Chargers, but...

I never said - or insinuated - that it was an insurmountable task.  Last time I checked, Josh Freeman was still their QB.  That alone makes them beatable by any other NFL team.

Just that the team that went 7-9 last year had major upgrades at 20-25% of their starting positions from 2012 to 2013.  4-5 of the team's worst starters from last year have been replaced with players who will be 4-5 of the team's best starters (with the remaining starters remaining constant).  It wasn't merely upgrading; areas of obvious weakness are now areas of obvious strength.

But it keeps getting thrown around that they won 1 game more than we did last year therefore we're evenly-matched teams this year as well.  Other than possibly our DL - and keep in mind they were the #1 run defense last year - I can't identify a unit on our team that is equal (let alone superior) to Tampa's.  Maybe CB if Milliner is good right out of the gate (or, certainly, if Revis isn't Revis anymore) but their secondary as a whole should be better.

I never said - or insinuated - that it was an insurmountable task.  Last time I checked, Josh Freeman was still their QB.  That alone makes them beatable by any other NFL team.

Just that the team that went 7-9 last year had major upgrades at 20-25% of their starting positions from 2012 to 2013.  4-5 of the team's worst starters from last year have been replaced with players who will be 4-5 of the team's best starters (with the remaining starters remaining constant).  It wasn't merely upgrading; areas of obvious weakness are now areas of obvious strength.

But it keeps getting thrown around that they won 1 game more than we did last year therefore we're evenly-matched teams this year as well.  Other than possibly our DL - and keep in mind they were the #1 run defense last year - I can't identify a unit on our team that is equal (let alone superior) to Tampa's.  Maybe CB if Milliner is good right out of the gate (or, certainly, if Revis isn't Revis anymore) but their secondary as a whole should be better.

You didn't.  I never said the Jets were better than the Bucs.  The post I initially responded to seemed to indicate that thinking the Jets could beat the Bucs week one was crazy talk. 

You didn't.  I never said the Jets were better than the Bucs.  The post I initially responded to seemed to indicate that thinking the Jets could beat the Bucs week one was crazy talk

That is crazy talk.  Their QB is Josh Freeman.

Jets fans should be the first ones to acknowledge that poor QB play can trump anything.  And Freeman is certainly capable of poor QB play.

Archived