Inside The Numbers with Marty Mornhinweg's Offense

flgreen

New York Jets: Inside the Numbers with the Marty Mornhinweg Offense

May 19th, 2013 at 5:30 am by Alan Schechter

Home » Jets » New York Jets: Inside the Numbers with the Marty Mornhinweg Offense

The Jets’ offense is going through a metamorphosis. Gone are the days of the Eastern style of pounding the football, and in is the West Coast offense under the direction of Marty Mornhinweg. We have talked about how the West Coast offense works, in terms of being based on a horizontal passing game, and quick decisions.

We can talk in generalities about the characteristics of the WCO, but why not go deeper? Why not take a look at how Marty Mornhinweg calls a game? Are there any trends that we can look at, that may translate into the upcoming season, and hopefully years to come?

To analyze, I went back to two games in 2012, a win (week 1), and a loss (week 8). Let’s look at these games and see if the numbers tell us anything.

First we look at play distribution. In both of these games, the emphasis was on the pass. In week 1, Marty called 58 pass plays against only 30 rushing plays. In the week 8 loss to Atlanta, Marty ran 38 passing plays against only 24 rushes. This is all very typical of a West Coast offense, as it is always built on the short passes setting up the run.

Look at the average gain per pass play as well. In the week one win, the Eagles averaged 5.3 yards gained per pass play. In the week eight loss, the Eagles averaged a gain of 4.7 yards per pass play. This tells us, as expected, that there are a lot of 3 step drops happening here, with quick decisions. Little slants, in-cuts, screen passes, etc., are always going to be prevalent here. The passing game is based horizontally, not vertically, which is what keeps the average down.

Now you go to the play by play and look at trends. In the week one win, every drive except for three began with passing plays. All of those passes except for one went for over 10 yards. Same idea in the game from week 8 against the Falcons. All drives but two went for passes, and the completed passes to open a drive went for no longer than 12 yards. This is classic West Coast offense. Bill Walsh would be proud.

And screen passes? Always, there are screen passes. In week one, I counted 10 targets to running backs in the short passing game. In the week 8 matchup against the Falcons, there were only 2 short passes thrown to running backs, but the lead sustained in double digits for most of this game, so there was a mitigating factor that kept the passing game away from the running backs, but that doesn’t change the fact that Marty is fond of using the backs out of the backfield. He once had a fullback with 60 receptions in one year, which tells you all you need to know about the philosophy

Some takeaways as far as the Jets are concerned? Well for one thing, be ready to see an offense that looks like nothing we have seen in the past with these guys. The days of 1st and 10, run, second and 7, run, and third and 5, pass, are over. The Jets are going to pass early on in their series, and will spread the ball around.

Another obvious point is that the passing game will consist solely of 3 and 5 step drops at the most. No longer are we going to see deep drops with Mark or Geno getting a long time to think about what they are doing. Instead, we will see quick drops, and quick decisions, not giving the quarterback too much time to out think themselves.

Finally, Chris Ivory and company had better have their hands ready. We see in these games that Marty uses the running back a lot in the passing game, and overall, we see that the running back is always near the top of the team in receptions. They are going to be active this fall, no doubt about that.

Bottom line is that the new Jets’ offense is not even going to resemble the offense of the past. Is this a good thing? Absolutely,

http://thejetpress.com/2013/05/19/new-york-jets-inside-the-numbers-with-the-marty-mornhinweg-offense/

There was an article posted last week that said Marty called the plays.  Guess you can believe who you want

I feel better now.  we'll have an offense with midget WR's going over the middle with either a rookie or a QB as dumb as a rock making quick decisions, and RB's that aren't know for their hands and no TE's

How effective can the WCO be in the Northeast? I know Philly was sorta running it but...

Interestingly, WCO seems like a perfect fit for Geno Smith... maybe he was a Marty M. pick?

He was the pick because he fell 38 spots from where he was touted to go in January.  The jets badly need a QB.  It was a fairly safe flyer, and good value. 

Doesn't really reflect at all that they loved him.  Just couldn't pass on him at 39

An Important part of any WCO is the fullback lets Hope Bohanon lives up to whats expected from a FB in this offense. Im sure Marty had some input in getting Bohanon with an emphesis on receiving ability.

Terminator 2.

I punch a cat every time I read WCO here. This obsession with labels...Two games eh?

Not completely useless, but this article is not really useful either.

Ahem.  Allow me to introduce myself...I'm the President of the ASPCA and....

lol just kidding.  Got a laugh out of your post.

How effective can the WCO be in the Northeast? I know Philly was sorta running it but...

Interestingly, WCO seems like a perfect fit for Geno Smith... maybe he was a Marty M. pick?

It's worked pretty well in Wisconsin for a couple decades. It's not the WCO, but the Pats run something of a throw first offense, too. I don't see any reason why an offense dominated by safe, short to midrange passes can't be effective in the Jersey swamp. I mean, outside of the personnel the Jets plan to use to run it.

That basically describes Brian Schottenheimer. "The short passing game setting up the run" is a fine idea. Now all the Jets need is a RB. Oh, and an offensive line would help matters as well, as would a QB who can complete passes for more than five yards. 

New York Jets: Marty Mornhinweg’s West Coast Offense: Analyzing a Drive

May 20th, 2013 at 2:00 pm by Alan SchechterJets

This afternoon, we are going to take another look at Marty Mornhinweg and his West Coast offense. Yesterday, we broke down 2 different games to look for patterns in how the offense is run.  We looked at how drives started, the average yards per pass, among other things.

Today we are going to get even more specific.  We are going to break down a drive from last season, and look at what plays were run.  During the drive, we are going to take a look at a play, in pictures, which will show you a prime example of how the West Coast offense works.

The drive we are going to look at takes place in week 4 of the 2012 season.  There are just about 6 minutes remaining in the first half, and the Eagles and Giants have played to a 0-0 tie.  The Eagles have taken over at their own 30 yard line.

First and 10-Eagles 30 yard line: Mike Vick takes a quick three-step drop and throws an incomplete pass to the left

Second and 10-Eagles 30 yard line:  We are going to look at this play in pictures, to see how the West Coast offense works.  Here is the formation:

Mike Vick is under center, 2 backs are behind him in the I formation.  2 receivers are set to the left, and one to the right.  Let’s role the play forward, and you will see what I mean about the West Coast offense.

Take a look at what we have this time.  Take a look at the players in the green circles.  3 receivers and 2 backs have entered into the pattern as available options for Mike Vick to throw to.   And the characteristic of the WCO comes out if you look at how far they are from the line of scrimmage.  Notice that nobody is farther out than 10 yards.  Short passing game, a hallmark of the West Coast offense.  How does it end up?

Vick hits Shady McCoy for 6 yards to set up third and short.  My point?  The West Coast offense is built on multiple options for the quarterback to choose from, a short distance down the field.  Back to the drive.

(Defensive offsides sets up first and 10 for the Eagles)

First and 10-Eagles 41 yard line: Vick throws incomplete down the field to DeSean Jackson.

Second and 10-Eagles 41 yard line: From the shotgun, Vick takes a quick drop and hits Johnson on the right side for a 17 yard pickup.

First and 10-Giants 42 yard line: Vick comes under center this time, takes a quick 5 step drop, hits LeSean McCoy in the left flat and McCoy runs ahead for 12 yards.

First and 10-Giants 30 yard line: Vick in the shotgun, takes a 3 step drop, hits Jason Avant on a quick slant for 7 yards.

Second and 3-Giants 23 yard line: Again, Vick is in the gun, but tries to cross up the Giants by calling a draw to “Shady” McCoy.  Unfortunately, McCoy trips and falls for a loss of one.

Third and 4-Giants 24 yard line: Vick drops back to pass, but in the face of the pass rush, scrambles around left end and out-of-bounds, just far enough for the first down.

First and 10-Giants 20 yard line: From the shotgun, Mike Vick surprises by handing to McCoy coming from the left side.  He runs around right end to pick up two yards.

Second and 8-Giants 18 yard line: Once again from the shotgun, Vick takes a 3 step drop and hits McCoy in the right flat.  However, the defense was ready and stopped McCoy for a loss of one.

Third and 9-Giants 19 yard line: Vick takes the snap from the gun, and hits DeSean Jackson for the 19 yard TD pass.

This drive is exactly how the West Coast offense is designed to work.  It consists of flooding the defense with many options in the short passing game, set to overload the other side with too many players to cover.  That done, is set up the rushing attack.

This is not the Jets’ offense that we have become accustomed to, ladies and gentlemen.  I can’t wait to see it in action.

New York Jets: Inside the Numbers with the Marty Mornhinweg Offense

May 19th, 2013 at 5:30 am by Alan Schechter

And screen passes? Always, there are screen passes. In week one, I counted 10 targets to running backs in the short passing game. In the week 8 matchup against the Falcons, there were only 2 short passes thrown to running backs, but the lead sustained in double digits for most of this game, so there was a mitigating factor that kept the passing game away from the running backs, but that doesn’t change the fact that Marty is fond of using the backs out of the backfield. He once had a fullback with 60 receptions in one year, which tells you all you need to know about the philosophy

http://thejetpress.com/2013/05/19/new-york-jets-inside-the-numbers-with-the-marty-mornhinweg-offense/

I don't understand how you even pretend to judge a guy on two games.  Especially a guy that's been around this long.  I also don't believe the above paragraph.  Passes to running backs are not always screen passes.  Also, when you are losing in double digits screen passes should be MORE effective.  The board always wanted more screen passes because they saw it as an alternative to running, but IMO that doesn't work.  Screen passes work as an alternative to the deep passing game.  Let the pass rush pin its ears and come up field and then dump behind them.  The Jets could never do that because they never had a decent passing game, so teams stacked the box and worried about gap discipline.  

That basically describes Brian Schottenheimer. "The short passing game setting up the run" is a fine idea. Now all the Jets need is a RB. Oh, and an offensive line would help matters as well, as would a QB who can complete passes for more than five yards. 

QB is third on the list? Booo. 

Who knows what we have in Marty M.  The Eagles were bad on offense last year.  They averaged something like 17 points a game.   The season before the QBs had something like 25 interceptions and Vick was only a 59 percent passer that year.   Both non playoff disappointing seasons.   And they have playmakers.   So while the defense gets the blame for last years 4-12 season,  the offense still could only muster 17 points a game.   Not sure why MM gets passes on being some offensive guru while people still blame Reid for the downfall.   If MM was the reason behind the great offensive stats, he's probably just as much to blame for their last two seasons.   Or he wasn't important at all.  

So WCO or not,  17 points a game doesn't win you many football games.  And a few people on this board wanted the Jets to trade for Nick Foles.  

I'm not sure why the assumption that a team who scored 17 points a game last year with some weapons would translate into a team with MM and some hoped Foles would suddenly make the Jets offense great without any weapons.

Archived