Clarifying Jets West And Camp Cromartie

JetNation

We are receiving a steady stream of emails, and even a few phone calls, asking for information on Jets West and Camp Cromartie.  We would like to clarify a few things:

• These workouts are not open to the public
  • These are not official team sponsored events

Many of the questions we receive are from Jets fans in California who can’t attend training camp because it is held on the east coast.  Unfortunately, as much as you would like to see the offense work out at Jets West Camp, which has been run by Mark Sanchez, you won’t be able to go.   The same goes for the private workouts that are going to be run by Antonio Cromartie.

Here are some details on both:

Jets West:  Last year the camp took place in mid July and the security detail included uniformed armed guards.  Since this isn’t a team sponsored event the Jets don’t pay the travel expenses for the players to attend.  Mark Sanchez paid for the security and we are told he lined up sponsors in years past to help offset the costs of the camp.  Mama Sanchez might show up this year with a tray of her famous meatballs, but we repeat the camp is closed to the public.

Antonio Cromartie Defensive BacksConor Orr has an excellent article that outlines what this is all about.

Now, the schedule will be made to accommodate a group of teammates that includes Aaron Berry, Bush, Stephen Hill and Kyle Wilson.

A house will be rented and for four weeks they will all live and train together.

“By us working out together and understanding each other, we get a better feel for each other, too,” Cromartie said earlier this week. “Not just here, but outside of this building. That’s something we’re trying to build on.”

The workouts and camps are a good thing even if you can’t see them working out.  The Jets have a new offense and they need as many reps as possible as they get ready for training camp. On the defensive side of the ball, the secondary is young and they are replacing one Landry brother with another one.  So anything Cromartie can do to help speed up the learning curve will be a huge help.

Camp Cromartie. Kinda awesome how Antonio is stepping up and becoming the decisive leader of this defense.

Yeah he even stuck his nose in against the run last year. Mmmm Hill is going also, skipping Jets West, does this mean he's already in the Geno camp?

Isn't Jets West at Mission Viejo High School? If so, how is it possible to entirely shut out the public?

By the way, Eli Manning held workouts at Hoboken High School, sans armed guards, and I'd argue that it had a better overall result. I'm sick of Jets West, I don't think they do anything out there besides play flag football and hit the beach.

Cro, however, is going about his business and that couldn't make me any happier.

Isn't Jets West at Mission Viejo High School? If so, how is it possible to entirely shut out the public?

By the way, Eli Manning held workouts at Hoboken High School, sans armed guards, and I'd argue that it had a better overall result. I'm sick of Jets West, I don't think they do anything out there besides play flag football and hit the beach.

Cro, however, is going about his business and that couldn't make me any happier.

Cromartie don't need no armed guards at his workouts.  Just take his kids and give the girls girll scout cookies to sell and the boys lottery tickets for football.  Keep everyone out.. LOL

Isn't Stephen Hill already having trouble with his knee, having to have it drained in minicamp?

Wouldn't he be better off resting it and letting it build up strength than running hard at Camp Cromartie?

well if hes feeling better it could be that he didnt get much work done during minicamp so wants to get some training in

i just dont get why hes not with sanchez

I don't know.  I would speculate-and this is going out on a limb-that Hill doesn't think Sanchez will be our QB by the end of the season so by going to Cromartie's camp, he acts as an inducement for Geno to go too.

I haven't heard anything about what Geno is doing, but going to Cromartie's camp and working out with our #2 receiver would certainly be a nice solution for Geno to get extra work while still maintaining equal status with Sanchez in the QB competition.  I don't think that's why Cro started it, but that might be the way it works out.

I don't know.  I would speculate-and this is going out on a limb-that Hill doesn't think Sanchez will be our QB by the end of the season so by going to Cromartie's camp, he acts as an inducement for Geno to go too.

I haven't heard anything about what Geno is doing, but going to Cromartie's camp and working out with our #2 receiver would certainly be a nice solution for Geno to get extra work while still maintaining equal status with Sanchez in the QB competition.  I don't think that's why Cro started it, but that might be the way it works out.

Just curious: If Santonio Holmes isn't ready for week 1, who will be the #1 receiver?  Cromartie or Hill?  :cool0044:

As far as Hill goes, it's entirely possible he sees a greater benefit of being able to actually work against defenders, especially a guy like Cro who is not exactly easy to beat in coverage.  The other thing to consider is that both of these events are taking place out in California, so it's entirely possible that Hill plans on attending both of them.  I seriously doubt the defenders would take such great offense to Hill heading off for a few days (which is all Jets West really is) of their month-long training session in order to work out with the offense.

It's also nice to see Hill realizing that he needs work and is doing everything he can to get better.  He definitely seems like he's a hard worker and he also doesn't appear to be your typical diva WR.

He's the best player on the team and he knows it, so he's finally owning it.  Makes sense.  Its good to see.

I question how much longer Cro will be Cro. He's 29. At what point will he lose a step (and become awful)? unlike other DB's who have technique and instincts, Cro is all athleticism. This is not a hypothetical as it's coming next season they will either have to extend him or let him go after 2014. 

I question how much longer Cro will be Cro. He's 29. At what point will he lose a step (and become awful)? unlike other DB's who have technique and instincts, Cro is all athleticism. This is not a hypothetical as it's coming next season they will either have to extend him or let him go after 2014. 

Depending on how well Milliner and Wilson play this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see them extend Wilson and try to trade Cro after this season.  Wilson stepped up his play in the second half of last year and if they think he's capable of being a #2, and Milliner turns out to be what they hoped for, that might be the way to go.  Then on top of that they could try snagging another #2/#3 CB in FA.  They could also wait until after 2014 and try to do the same thing then if they think he's worth the high dollar amount for one more year.

That said, I think your analysis of Cro is a bit outdated.  This isn't 2007 anymore, I don't think there's any question that he's nowhere near the same player he used to be, and I would say that the main difference is the improvement of his technique.  While any player is going to see their athletic ability decline as they age, which will ultimately have an impact on their play, I don't agree with the concept that Cro is going to one day become this completely awful player simply because he hit his 30th birthday.

Archived