Rex Report: Praise for Sanchez

flgreen

August, 1, 2013

Aug 1

4:51

PM ET

By  Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan weighed in on the quarterbacks after practice, a strong day for Mark Sanchez in red zone drills. Ryan noted that the veteran played well.

Thursday's advantage: Sanchez

Geno Smith's day: He went 5-for-10 with two sacks and a TD. Highlight was a 50-yard pass to Ryan Spadola.

Mark Sanchez's day: He was 10-for-16 with a sack, an INT and two TDs. The INT came on a last-second Hail Mary.

Quote: "I thought Mark did a great job, especially on the gotta-have-its."

-- coach Rex Ryan

"It gets tough down there because it gets compacted and things," Ryan said. "I thought Mark did a great job, especially on the gotta-have-its. After the two minute when we did the gotta-have-its, he made a great throw. Now the defense helped him out when they never had the personnel on the field. If you play with nine on the field, bad things happen."

Ryan also had some good things to say about Geno Smith, the rookie who is pushing Sanchez for his starting spot.

"Mark did a nice job down there," Ryan said. "And I thought Geno was impressive at the end that last play when you gotta-have-it he scrambles and keeps his vision down the field and finds a guy open at the end. So that was impressive. Both guys I thought had a good day today."

Ryan said Smith is benefiting from the instruction of quarterbacks coach David Lee and new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

"There are a couple things that we knew he'd have to improve on, like his footwork No. 1, the depth of routes," Ryan said, "but he has picked that up very quickly."

MUTUAL RESPECT: Ryan didn't want to talk specifically about Riley Cooper's offensive comment, but he would talk about how the Jets go about bonding. "There's not one perfect person in our locker room, we've all made mistakes, obviously me more than others, but the thing is we all respect each other."

THAT'S RICH: Sheldon Richardson may be out of practice to recover from a root canal, but the rookie DL has already impressed his coach. "We don't want to put him in Canton yet but he looks pretty good. He's an explosive guy an explosive athlete. He certainly belongs here."

WESTHOFF WILDCAT: Mike Westhoff, the Jets former special teams coordinator, is on site and, as a newly minted member of the media, he sat in on Ryan's presser and asked a question about the way the Jets will use personnel in the Green & White scrimmage.

QUICK HITS: Asked to single out a few players, Ryan said WR Vidal Hazelton "He seems to be popping up to me," and C Dalton Freeman. He noted that Hazelton had solid blocking skills.

QUICK HITS: Asked to single out a few players, Ryan said WR Vidal Hazelton "He seems to be popping up to me," and C Dalton Freeman. He noted that Hazelton had solid blocking skills.

There you have it, Tom.  Rex singled out Hazelton, not Obomanu, so you may be right regarding WR.  He singled out Dalton Freeman rather than Caleb Schlauderaff, so I might be right regarding the backup center.  LOL

There you have it, Tom. Rex singled out Hazelton, not Obomanu, so you may be right regarding WR. He singled out Dalton Freeman rather than Caleb Schlauderaff, so I might be right regarding the backup center. LOL

lol Or they'll both be cut and we'll both drink beer.

Rex loves the word "great."   As I said on the other thread---you need a QB who can get you to the other team's 10 in the first place.  How many red zone INTs has this guy thrown over the years?  Listening to his remarks always annoys me.  Other coaches always sound more adult in their speech. 

August, 1, 2013

Aug 1

4:51

PM ET

By  Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

MUTUAL RESPECT: Ryan didn't want to talk specifically about Riley Cooper's offensive comment, but he would talk about how the Jets go about bonding. "There's not one perfect person in our locker room, we've all made mistakes, obviously me more than others, but the thing is we all respect each other."

See...these kinds of statements.  What coach talks like this?

One that's self-deprecating and doesn't act like he's above everyone; he's an every-man type of guy, it's what endears him to everyone who plays for him.  Now, I like his personality, but I could care less about how someone acts so long as they win.  Belichik is the perfect example; guy is a complete smug son of a bitch, but he wins, so no one cares.  Tell ya what, even his act will wear thin with those win-fed, spoiled new england/boston fans.

One that's self-deprecating and doesn't act like he's above everyone; he's an every-man type of guy, it's what endears him to everyone who plays for him.  Now, I like his personality, but I could care less about how someone acts so long as they win.  Belichik is the perfect example; guy is a complete smug son of a bitch, but he wins, so no one cares.  Tell ya what, even his act will wear thin with those win-fed, spoiled new england/boston fans.

i am sure the whole league looks at Rex as a humble, self-deprecating guy and not a boastful blowhard.

i am sure the whole league looks at Rex as a humble, self-deprecating guy and not a boastful blowhard.

You asked about what type of person speaks like that, not about the perception of that person. I could care less what the league thinks of him; the entire league thinks Belichik is a smug a$$hole, yet he still wins, so who cares?  Rex could drive onto lawns to hit kittens so long as he's winning games.

Archived