NY Jets Claim Scott Wedige Off Waivers

JetNation

The NY Jets are looking to add depth at the Center position and claimed Scott Wedige today off waivers from the Arizona Cardinals.

The Northern Illinois University Alumni is listed as 6’4″ 314 lbs and will be given an opportunity to make a roster spot.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
MSSfPJmuPU8

View the full article

Not exactly adding depth.  His background is pretty similar to Schlauderaff.  Kicked around a bunch of practice squads.  The Cards obviously liked him.  They signed him as an UDFA, kept him until around final cuts and then signed him back to their active roster near the end of last year.  I would hope this is another guy to "compete".  I'm not surprised there would be a bunch of turnover on the OL.  The team is on their 3rd OC in three years.  When Sparano took over the guys seemed suited to his style (or lack thereof) but Mornhinweg might be looking for something other than "ground & pound."  

Whatever is going on, they seem to be monkeying around a lot at reserve center the past few days.  I wonder if anybody got dinged.

Cool.  I hear there's an abundance of OL talent in Arizona.  This kid must be phenomenal.  

I kid. 

If he is as good as Schlauderaff, who did well in the last game IIRC, perhaps this is a practice squad move.  Players lose their eligibility to be on the practice squad after three years.  I'm not going to look it up, but that sounds about right for Schlauderaff.  Caleb either makes the roster, or he gets cut.  Bringing in Wedgie and having Peterman practice at center tells me they're moving on. 

on edit:  Schlauderaff has been on the 53-man roster since 2011.  He lost his eligibility to play on the practice squad a long time ago.  This means they're happier moving forward with other pieces this year, not a big surprise considering they brought in 2 OGs, drafted 2 OGs, and perhaps have Vlad's little light bulb flickering this year.  Schlaudy is a goner. 

Archived