Would You Rather Take A 5 Yr Veteran With The Same Mistakes Or The Rookie With Upside?

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the first opponent of this regular season, and me personally I cant wait.

Question: Would you rather sit this season watching the growing pains of a rookie or would you rather sit another season with the 5 year rookie ...ahem...I mean veteran that makes the same usual mistakes.

on a side note: How crazy will the crowd go if Geno Smith throws a bomb over Revis when we play the Bucs? .......you know Marty will dial up some plays to test that newly repaired knee.

We are not going 1-15 under any circumstances. Gino will be fine

then gina will get to watch the raiders and jags leap frog over him in 2014 and for the next decade

I've had mediocrity or worse for about 26 out of 31 years

enough

get ready for teddy

enter the void for boyd

Bridgewater was ridiculous yesterday...god that dude can ball

I only saw highlights, but I'm going to be watching him and tahj every chance I get.  until the jets win their 4th game, then its going to be watching someone else draft luck or RG III

Question: Would you rather sit this season watching the growing pains of a rookie or would you rather sit another season with the 5 year rookie ...ahem...I mean veteran that makes the same usual mistakes.

Very hypothetical.  Could you give me an example to help me ground this idea?

I only saw highlights, but I'm going to be watching him and tahj every chance I get.  until the jets win their 4th game, then its going to be watching someone else draft luck or RG III

You know exactly what's going to happen.  Disaster before the bye, then win enough meaningless games to land us an OT or something of that nature.

Done dealing with someone who shows a lil flash here and there, but mostly just does not take care of the football. Need to see what we have in Smith. Yeah he had a few turnovers the other night( two being really bad picks), but I liked the way he came back from them like he had already moved on. That sh*t would've phased Sanchez for the rest of the game. Hopefully Smith will grow as season goes on and just take care of the ball as I think our D will keep us in most games. I think the D would lose their sh*t if they spent another season constantly on the field bc of Stinky Sanchez's mistakes.

You know exactly what's going to happen.  Disaster before the bye, then win enough meaningless games to land us an OT or something of that nature.

looking at the sched, I agree 100%.  wouldn't it be great if sanchez rallies the team to 4 straight wins in december and rex keeps his job ?

Very hypothetical.  Could you give me an example to help me ground this idea?

I don't know how else to put the question. if you are going to sit this season and mistakes are going to be made regardless. would you rather see them coming from Sanchez or the Rookie who obviously needs the experience?

my thinking: roll with the rookie, 1) he needs the experience 2) beneficial to find out what we got in the 2rd pick earlier than later. 3) IF he doesn't look to be a QB that we can build around, next year's draft is loaded with talent 4) The writing is on the wall, Sanchez will be gone after this season, maybe even Rex too

What upside? Geno is being gifted a starting spot, much like Mark was and we'll end up with 4 years of mediocre Geno, much like we did with Mark. Hopefully they don't give him a ridiculous extension though.

Well said. If I saw an upside for Geno Iwould root for him but I haven't seen anything to get excited about.

Well said. If I saw an upside for Geno Iwould root for him but I haven't seen anything to get excited about.

I refer you to these numbers before anyone starts calling Geno Smith a bust or whatever. and keep in mind. what you saw was the pre season. and yes Geno Smith has plenty of upside but wont argue this point with anyone because if you don't see it then you just don't see it.

In the past decade, 13 quarterbacks have made their first NFL starts in Week 1. The average stat-line from those starts was: 56.6% completion percentage, 214 yards, .77TDs and 1.54 INTs Five of the 13 quarterbacks won their starting debuts.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-buc-trend-odds-aginst-great-debut-qb-article-1.1443301#ixzz2dkbzqnP7

John Elway completed just 1 out of 8 passes in his week 1 debut....Cowboys lost 11 games Troy Aikman played in his rookie year....

Jets fans gotta be a little patient and be realistic. Don't expect Geno Smith to play like Joe Montana week 1.

John Elway completed just 1 out of 8 passes in his week 1 debut....Cowboys lost 11 games Troy Aikman played in his rookie year....

Jets fans gotta be a little patient and be realistic. Don't expect Geno Smith to play like Joe Montana week 1.

We don't expect Geno to play like Joe Montana, ever.  We just hope for better than Mark Sanchez, but he's not there yet.

We don't expect Geno to play like Joe Montana, ever.  We just hope for better than Mark Sanchez, but he's not there yet.

100% agree with this. but I have a feeling unrealistic folks will be calling for Simms if they see the slightest trouble with Geno Smith. they gotta keep in mind that 1) mistakes will be made and 2) Simms is solid but played well against third stringers that some either didn't make a team or are on the practice squad

100% agree with this. but I have a feeling unrealistic folks will be calling for Simms if they see the slightest trouble with Geno Smith. they gotta keep in mind that 1) mistakes will be made and 2) Simms is solid but played well against third stringers that some either didn't make a team or are on the practice squad

Just wondering.  Why do people think that Smith has a higher upside then Simms?   Simms seems to have made a quantum leap since he has been in the NFL.  He was an UFA coming in for sure, but he is also a 2nd year player who has looked very good in 3 preseason games.

Smith was over-hyped by the draft guru's, but ignored by the NFL drafters.  From what we have seen in preseason, Simms has a stronger arm, and has played better then Smith. 

The idea that Simms played well against 3rd stringers is fine, but Smith played poorly against 3rd stringers.  Don't forget it was with 11 minutes left in the game when Sanchez came in.  The Giants starters were long gone.  Smith was still playing badly 

Just wondering.  Why do people think that Smith has a higher upside then Simms?   Simms seems to have made a quantum leap since he has been in the NFL.  He was an UFA coming in for sure, but he is also a 2nd year player who has looked very good in 3 preseason games.

Smith was over-hyped by the draft guru's, but ignored by the NFL drafters.  From what we have seen in preseason, Simms has a stronger arm, and has played better then Smith. 

The idea that Simms played well against 3rd stringers is fine, but Smith played poorly against 3rd stringers.  Don't forget it was with 11 minutes left in the game when Sanchez came in.  The Giants starters were long gone.  Smith was still playing badly 

solid points. im not norstradamus at all but I think Geno Smith has a 1up on any QB on the roster because of his athleticism and ability to extend plays with his feet and his college experience. I like Simms and he is solid.

What upside? Geno is being gifted a starting spot, much like Mark was and we'll end up with 4 years of mediocre Geno, much like we did with Mark. Hopefully they don't give him a ridiculous extension though.

There's no reason to think Geno will get more than a year if he doesn't merit it.

If we're terrible this year, we're in a position to move because there's no financial investment and we're drafting in a spot that could land us a top QB.

Drafting Geno when he fell to us at 39 was a great move for that reason.

There's no reason to think Geno will get more than a year if he doesn't merit it.

If we're terrible this year, we're in a position to move because there's no financial investment and we're drafting in a spot that could land us a top QB.

I actually agree.  I hated Smith at 9 or 13, but at 39 he had good value (I hope) and don't have a problem with the Jets taking him there.

your point is also correct that if Smith is going to be as bad as I suspect he is, the Jets may have a shot at Teddy. 

Problem is, I think Rex D is going to be to good to allow the Jets to fall that far.  Plus I'm not really thrilled about suffering thru a 2-14 year, and have it turn to 5-11.  Just out of reach of the elite players

I actually agree.  I hated Smith at 9 or 13, but at 39 he had good value (I hope) and don't have a problem with the Jets taking him there.

your point is also correct that if Smith is going to be as bad as I suspect he is, the Jets may have a shot at Teddy. 

Problem is, I think Rex D is going to be to good to allow the Jets to fall that far.  Plus I'm not really thrilled about suffering thru a 2-14 year, and have it turn to 5-11.  Just out of reach of the elite players

On top of it all, there's no guarantee that Bridgewater will be successfull at the next level, Can you imagine the outcry if the Jets tank the season and Bridgewater is the next Ryan Leaf? Then imagine Geno lights it up when he's traded to another team for a 5th round pick? That's why you never tank a season for a Prospect, no matter how hyped up.

yes sir! I 100 % in agreement with this also

I  expect Geno to play like Hannah Montana. The one game he played against a 1st string dee he was horrible, period. And I am tired of being patient. I want to be competitive at least, not training people for next year.

Archived