If Revis wasn't a greedy pig this defense would've been epic...

CobraVerde

He isn't Sanders.  He might be better in many ways as a CB,  but Sanders was a guy who returned kicks, played on offense, put fans in the seats, etc.  I was never a big Sanders fan, but he brought more to the table than just some CB.  Winning teams wanted him.  It wasn't like he jumped to the Raiders for top dollar.  He wanted to win.  

If the Bucs wind up being a 6-10 team or worse this season,  aren't very good next year, I just don't see a huge market for him. There wasn't one this season.     You can't demand top dollar if half your career you were on losing teams.  And you are known as a hold out, a greedy player,  a guy who now seems to not like his coach.    And as great as he is on defense, again, he isn't Sanders.   A shutdown corner is great if he doesn't cost that much. A shut down corner who will demand 16 million,  no legit super bowl team would ever make that deal. Not for a guy who won't change a team around.  Not for a guy who doesn't seem like the big leader of a defense.  Not for a guy who isn't on special teams or offense or brings interest to a team.    I mean nobody around the league cares about the Bucs at this point except for Jets fans. And that's because of Revis.     Sanders.   People still know who he is today.

Well, I said, he probably wont get 16 mil, but your fooling yourself if you dont think he'll demand top CB money.

There wasnt a huge market for him because it required picks, being a FA is a different story.  The rest of the concerns are why he'll only get short term deals.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He isn't Sanders.  He might be better in many ways as a CB,  but Sanders was a guy who returned kicks, played on offense, put fans in the seats, etc.  I was never a big Sanders fan, but he brought more to the table than just some CB.  Winning teams wanted him.  It wasn't like he jumped to the Raiders for top dollar.  He wanted to win.  

If the Bucs wind up being a 6-10 team or worse this season,  aren't very good next year, I just don't see a huge market for him. There wasn't one this season.     You can't demand top dollar if half your career you were on losing teams.  And you are known as a hold out, a greedy player,  a guy who now seems to not like his coach.    And as great as he is on defense, again, he isn't Sanders.   A shutdown corner is great if he doesn't cost that much. A shut down corner who will demand 16 million,  no legit super bowl team would ever make that deal. Not for a guy who won't change a team around.  Not for a guy who doesn't seem like the big leader of a defense.  Not for a guy who isn't on special teams or offense or brings interest to a team.    I mean nobody around the league cares about the Bucs at this point except for Jets fans. And that's because of Revis.     Sanders.   People still know who he is today.

More to the point, other GMs who might have thought that Revis made the Jets defense (and would then make their defense) see the turnaround with the 2013 Jets vs the 2013 Bucs respective defenses.  You cannot eat up that type of cap room on 1 cornerback.  

He will definitely get you the win IF the other team is strictly a 1-weapon team with that 1 weapon being a WR.  Otherwise you'll still lose if you're not taking care of business elsewhere (at one or two or all of not stopping the non-Revis passes, not stopping the run, or not scoring points).

Meanwhile a past-his-prime, weaponz-less Tom Brady still tossed a couple of TDs against them.  And it's not like they had no pass rush (they sacked Brady a few times) or as if TB's secondary was Revis and nobody else.  

Someone else will pick him up next year, but I think it'll be for something around half what he's getting now (unless it's a 1-year deal or one that makes him cuttable/trade-able after 1 year, in which case it could be as high as the $11-12M range).

We wouldn't have Richardson if we had kept Revis, so the defense likely would not be as epic as it is now. Honestly, I think Richardson is already making about as significant a contribution to the defense as Revis did. With Richardson, our DL is dominant and that makes all elements of our defense significantly better. Think about this: we got 8 sacks Sunday and didn;t really need to blitz.

But part of me is glad that he's gone. Living in Miami and seeing how wade James bosh and Allen took less money for the team and how that's panned out assures me we will be fine... Just a thought...

remember if revis wasnt traded we   would of never drafted Richardson.    im hopefull that milliner is gonna be OK with the passrush the jets are gonna have a shut down corner isnt a neccesity. JETS are gonna rush the passer pretty good for next decade. 8 sacks is gonna be a standard operation around jets games.  the penalty's have to stop, I dont know if K wilson  could cover his WR half the time. i just dont know. the dude is always out of position and getting  toasted, lets keep it real. Dez  Bryant was the better draft pick   that year. but its nothing new. jets couldnt draft if there life depended on it. KEEP IT REAL  DOG. IM A DIE HARD JETS FAN TOO.  WILSON IS A BUM. COULDNT  cover ray charles on his best day.   ray charle stats vs wilson 7-8 for 240 yards 2 tds

Tampa's defense isnt the problem...if Freeman didnt have his head up his ass and Schiano wasnt such a j/o...and a couple of bounces go their way...I mean we're talking about how good Revis has looked. Lets be fair, that Tampa defense is nasty

what tampa games have you been watching. 0-3 it is what  it is an ungly win is way better then a pretty loss.  Tampa has QB problems, when ever you QB isnt nominated at team captain even if its a pitty captain. that team has problems, anyway the record speaks for its self.

We wouldn't have Richardson if we had kept Revis, so the defense likely would not be as epic as it is now. Honestly, I think Richardson is already making about as significant a contribution to the defense as Revis did. With Richardson, our DL is dominant and that makes all elements of our defense significantly better. Think about this: we got 8 sacks Sunday and didn;t really need to blitz.

true that fellow JETS fan.  REVIS with a  me me me player. and to win a superbowl, u need team team team players. thats why the jets are 2-1 and the bucs are 0-3. this isnt tennis where one player can bring the trophy home. u need 22 players unselfishly to bring home the trophy.. the jets offense needs to score at least 17 points for jets to get the W.

Richardson under contact at rookie salary for 4 years vs. Revis at 10x the price?  I'm with you.  If Milliner becomes even a good #2 by the end of the season, we are fine on defense.  I'm much more interested in a great TE and RB next year.  And a PR. 

Darrin Walls might be a nice surpise, hope he gets a chance to show his cover skills. Never should of drafted Milliner.

First, the guy has the right to make as much money as he can, so calling him a greedy pig isn't exactly fair. The main point though, which I have stated many times before and which people are saying in this thread, is that Revis is a great corner but really isn't a difference maker. We have, I believe, the #2 ranked defense in the league so far, and are 2-1. The Bucs are 0-3, and Revis is already lobbying to get rid of the head coach (although I can't blame him for that). Again, the Bucs don't look like a playoff team with Revis there. In fact, even with Revis, they're still not gonna beat the Saints and the Falcons.

More to the point, other GMs who might have thought that Revis made the Jets defense (and would then make their defense) see the turnaround with the 2013 Jets vs the 2013 Bucs respective defenses.  You cannot eat up that type of cap room on 1 cornerback.  

He will definitely get you the win IF the other team is strictly a 1-weapon team with that 1 weapon being a WR.  Otherwise you'll still lose if you're not taking care of business elsewhere (at one or two or all of not stopping the non-Revis passes, not stopping the run, or not scoring points).

Meanwhile a past-his-prime, weaponz-less Tom Brady still tossed a couple of TDs against them.  And it's not like they had no pass rush (they sacked Brady a few times) or as if TB's secondary was Revis and nobody else.  

Someone else will pick him up next year, but I think it'll be for something around half what he's getting now (unless it's a 1-year deal or one that makes him cuttable/trade-able after 1 year, in which case it could be as high as the $11-12M range).

Oh it's the NFL, there will be somebody who pays him what he wants or close to it.  But most winning teams aren't spending dumb money.  And as many of us stated a long time ago, as good as Revis is,  the guy isn't going to make any team go from 6-10 to 12-4.   Most players aren't going to do that.  He might shut down the best WR, but if the team still has avg TEs, WRs, RBs, etc, he kind of just becomes a fake 'stat' guy.   That's always the problem with the CB.  The Giants never had shut down corners, but when they won two super bowls, that DL pressured and sacked Brady.   You don't need the best CB in the league if the QB cant even throw the ball to a RB.   Whereas even with Revis, if the DL is just suspect and puts little pressure on QB,  good ones just dump it off to TEs, other WRs, etc.

The reality is a guy like Revis is less valuable on a team than a guy like Fitzgerald and Megatron.  Those guys score, put up big numbers, and so on.  And yet those guys are rarely on winning teams.   Same goes for Revis.  If you pay a hell of a lot to one player, it kind of means you can't pay for a lot of other players.   And the best CB in the NFL just means he's the best CB in the NFL on losing teams.     

As much as I loved him as a player,   the Jets really had that 11-5 season.   Other than that they were mostly an 8-8 team since Revis was drafted.   It wasn't like he made them 13-3 every year.

Oh it's the NFL, there will be somebody who pays him what he wants or close to it.  But most winning teams aren't spending dumb money.  And as many of us stated a long time ago, as good as Revis is,  the guy isn't going to make any team go from 6-10 to 12-4.   Most players aren't going to do that.  He might shut down the best WR, but if the team still has avg TEs, WRs, RBs, etc, he kind of just becomes a fake 'stat' guy.   That's always the problem with the CB.  The Giants never had shut down corners, but when they won two super bowls, that DL pressured and sacked Brady.   You don't need the best CB in the league if the QB cant even throw the ball to a RB.   Whereas even with Revis, if the DL is just suspect and puts little pressure on QB,  good ones just dump it off to TEs, other WRs, etc.

The reality is a guy like Revis is less valuable on a team than a guy like Fitzgerald and Megatron.  Those guys score, put up big numbers, and so on.  And yet those guys are rarely on winning teams.   Same goes for Revis.  If you pay a hell of a lot to one player, it kind of means you can't pay for a lot of other players.   And the best CB in the NFL just means he's the best CB in the NFL on losing teams.     

As much as I loved him as a player,   the Jets really had that 11-5 season.   Other than that they were mostly an 8-8 team since Revis was drafted.   It wasn't like he made them 13-3 every year.

I think a guy like Revis is really effective and useful against certain teams with a dominant #1 WR.  He makes a huge difference by taking away a Megatron, Fitz or VJax.  The problem is against a team that has multiple receiving options, usually led by a great QB, he just can't make enough of a difference by himself.  However, there is usually only one QB or one guy carrying the ball and that's where a stout DL can make a difference on almost every play.

The Jets' decision to move Revis was largely driven by cap problems, of which his salary was far from the only component.  TB had the space available and needed to upgrade their woeful secondary.  As best I can tell their problems right now are not Revis being slow to recover or otherwise not earning his pay.  They are on the offensive side of the ball, where Freeman is not getting it done, and with a woeful CS.

It also deserves mention that the Jets D's success is partly a function of all the high draft picks that have been given to the D, along with the trade for and high salary paid to Cromartie. i suppose it is fair to say once the team made the decision to be prepared to move Revis, that strategy has proven right.  But let's not forget that the Jets still have questionable talent here and there on O as a result.  RIght now they are depending on contributions from Kerley, a third round pick, and Powell, a fourth.  Even the trade for Holmes (which too many Jet fans criticize) only involved a fifth round pick.  Sure Ducasse was a second round pick, but that's evidence of the problem in depending on every pick on O to hit.  Hopefully as it is starting to look the second round pick for Smith will pay big dividends.

The point is that Revis's departure has been to a large extent ameliorated by the huge investments made elsewhere on D.  Meanwhile the secondary has almost overnight become the shakiest unit on the D.  In short it is far from clear that it has been a good thing that Revis was unloaded.

First, the guy has the right to make as much money as he can, so calling him a greedy pig isn't exactly fair. The main point though, which I have stated many times before and which people are saying in this thread, is that Revis is a great corner but really isn't a difference maker. We have, I believe, the #2 ranked defense in the league so far, and are 2-1. The Bucs are 0-3, and Revis is already lobbying to get rid of the head coach (although I can't blame him for that). Again, the Bucs don't look like a playoff team with Revis there. In fact, even with Revis, they're still not gonna beat the Saints and the Falcons.

Revis has the ability to shut down there best reciever ! Jackson went for 150 against us if u did not notice . That being said if u can get to the qb u don't Need a great one but before u say we don't need him lets get through the next 6 games. We need to win 2 of the next 6

Darrelle Revis went for the money. He got a ridiculous rate for his services on the open market and there are many business-minded Jets fans who understand how supply and demand works.  There aren't many 4x All Pro CBs that hit the market. It's not a situation that happens every year. 

Archived