I was out of town this weekend....what did I miss?

Jetsfan80

And who exactly did you have in mind, from the day after the superbowl through today?

The only one that appears to have been a great signing (considering the compensation) was Reggie Bush.  And it is wishful thinking that he - or anyone worthwhile - would have chosen to come to the 2013 Jets, gutting the roster with a lame-duck HC, instead of a (real or perceived) contender.  Or were we to just outbid everyone by 30-50% during a rebuilding season where the M.O. is dumping overpriced contracts?

I don't expect you (or others, not that I mean to single you out) to like it, but you're 8 months late, and counting, in accepting that this was and is a full rebuilding season where there were 2 goals: dump bad contracts and see which good players we have that aren't cap-killers before 2014's spending splurge.  It is a throwaway year and some of us called it - not that I didn't think it was obvious - back in March.  Some guys on the defense showing some promise doesn't change that.  Cap room was tighter this season and whatever leftover we did have was shelved for 2014 and beyond.  Meanwhile it seemed - and still seems - that Idzik's goal was to see which lower-priced players he has on the roster before potentially splurging on high-priced players at the same position.  You're going to have to watch Geno Smith learn or fail to learn, and maybe more of the same with Simms after that.  They're going to make a young QB pass and pass and pass because that's what the OC does and that's what the league (mostly) is now.  And there are 12 more games of it to watch.

Kahlil Bell looked decent in preseason. This Green guy looks terrible. We needed a serviceable RB who could get the 1 yard or punch it from the goal line I wasn't looking for a 1000 yard rusher....Brandon Jacobs,Cedrick Benson,LaGarret Blount  instead Idzik went after Goodson.

LOL yea.  I don't expect Goodson to be in any kind of football shape either.

Its time Idzik and Rex we need a WR and a RB free agent,trade whatever it takes.

why would a FA WR and RB be in better shape than the guys that are on the roster or coming off of suspension?  I am all for bring BE back but to think he is in better shape than goodson?  I dont see how that makes much sense.

The break we got was Tenn getting to Smith before he could back into the endzone of his own accord.  The refs made the right call and they labored the point during the game.

what was funny about the call was they claimed forward progress on a player who was going backwards. Maybe they revisit this rule lol

why would a FA WR and RB be in better shape than the guys that are on the roster or coming off of suspension?  I am all for bring BE back but to think he is in better shape than goodson?  I dont see how that makes much sense.

Im sure Braylon Edwards Is staying in shape so is Terrell Owens both are better than Gates and Obamanu.

We need another RB now lets all hope Goodson is in shape.

LOL yea.  I don't expect Goodson to be in any kind of football shape either.

Its time Idzik and Rex we need a WR and a RB free agent,trade whatever it takes.

I so want to hit you in the head with a frying pan. A 14" cast iron skillet.

This isn't even a rebuilding year. It's the long year of clearing the books so the rebuilding can actually begin next year. You spend this year evaluating what you've got, and where you need to improve the team next year. Pretty much as simple as that. Bringing in a free agent WR or RB doesn't help. The Jets are much better off getting Spadola on the field than bringing in a guy like your beloved Braylon. Green at RB is a stopgap waiting for Goodson to return (which he does this week) and Ivory to get healthy (which he may never do). Trading for Ivory was dumb, trading more picks away would be dumber.

If Winters is practicing well enough to see the field, put him out there. Walls getting real playing time is a massive plus. This is a season for the GM to decide what's salvageable on this team from the head coach right down thru the practice squad. It's not a year for short term fixes.

I so want to hit you in the head with a frying pan. A 14" cast iron skillet.

This isn't even a rebuilding year. It's the long year of clearing the books so the rebuilding can actually begin next year. You spend this year evaluating what you've got, and where you need to improve the team next year. Pretty much as simple as that. Bringing in a free agent WR or RB doesn't help. The Jets are much better off getting Spadola on the field than bringing in a guy like your beloved Braylon. Green at RB is a stopgap waiting for Goodson to return (which he does this week) and Ivory to get healthy (which he may never do). Trading for Ivory was dumb, trading more picks away would be dumber.

If Winters is practicing well enough to see the field, put him out there. Walls getting real playing time is a massive plus. This is a season for the GM to decide what's salvageable on this team from the head coach right down thru the practice squad. It's not a year for short term fixes.

Ive got a very hard head and I hit back.

Rebuilding?  Show me where the Jets declared they were rebuilding. Just because we went with a rookie QB does not mean we are rebuilding. We had salary cap problems. We have a top 5 NFL defense and a serviceable offense that shouldn't be getting blown out by the Titans.

what was funny about the call was they claimed forward progress on a player who was going backwards. Maybe they revisit this rule lol

Nah, that's always been the case and they won't change the rule.  Might seem a little odd, but the basic bottom line is that the moment a defensive player makes contact with an offensive player, that's immediately designated as the point of forward progress, regardless of any other circumstances, with the idea being that any further backward movement at that point is, at least in part, due to the defensive player.  The point more than anything is to try to erase any ambiguity in the rules, because saying sometimes that is forward progress and other times it isn't would only open up a whole other can of worms.  In that case it probably wouldn't be long before you saw 300+ lb DL lifting up QBs and carrying them across the field while claiming the QB was still dropping back when he grabbed him.

Nah, that's always been the case and they won't change the rule.  Might seem a little odd, but the basic bottom line is that the moment a defensive player makes contact with an offensive player, that's immediately designated as the point of forward progress, regardless of any other circumstances, with the idea being that any further backward movement at that point is, at least in part, due to the defensive player.  The point more than anything is to try to erase any ambiguity in the rules, because saying sometimes that is forward progress and other times it isn't would only open up a whole other can of worms.  In that case it probably wouldn't be long before you saw 300+ lb DL lifting up QBs and carrying them across the field while claiming the QB was still dropping back when he grabbed him.

I hear ya BG I was just trying to point out how funny it sounds.  

Rebuilding?  Show me where the Jets declared they were rebuilding. Just because we went with a rookie QB does not mean we are rebuilding. We had salary cap problems. We have a top 5 NFL defense and a serviceable offense that shouldn't be getting blown out by the Titans.

No team declares that they're rebuilding. The team just hired a new GM. He's going to build the team in his image. That's what new GM's do. He had no money to do that this year, so the build begins next year.

That doesn't mean that they don't want to win games, but developing young players is much more important this year than buying an extra win or two with a player they don't want on the roster in 2014.

I hear ya BG I was just trying to point out how funny it sounds.  

Oh yeah, I don't disagree with you, but even the NFL knows how incompetent their refs are, so they'd rather have strange sounding rules with little-to-no need for interpretation than having to give any more real decision-making powers to them than absolutely necessary.

the jets defense stuffed the run all day. folk went 2-2 on field goals. other than that, the jets were dominated completely on all other phases of the game. geno appearently, hasn't decided if he wants to play qb for the jets or point guard for the harlem globetrotters. ducasse would make a better sumo wrestler than an nfl guard, and yes,the officiating still is what it is

No team declares that they're rebuilding. The team just hired a new GM. He's going to build the team in his image. That's what new GM's do. He had no money to do that this year, so the build begins next year.

That doesn't mean that they don't want to win games, but developing young players is much more important this year than buying an extra win or two with a player they don't want on the roster in 2014.

This is Rex Ryans 5th season as head coach don't you dare mention rebuilding. The AFC East is there for the taking.

Why doesn't anyone want to talk about Jake Locker going surgical on the defense?

the secondary is a problem. Cro looks terrible. Dee is hurt. Walls was a liability and the safeties can't run. Could Kyle Wilson actually be the best cover player on the Jets? Good thing they traded Revis.

7 new starters on defense.  2 new starters on the OL.  A rookie QB.  A first year starter at RB and FB.   New TE's.  Still developing young WR's.

Did they need to declare it a rebuilding year?  Seems pretty obvious, no?

7 new starters on defense.  2 new starters on the OL.  A rookie QB.  A first year starter at RB and FB.   New TE's.  Still developing young WR's.

Did they need to declare it a rebuilding year?  Seems pretty obvious, no?

Wow so all teams who replace bad players here with more bad players on offense  and start new QBs are rebuilding? 

I wonder how the season ticket holders who pay FULL PRICE feel about that? 

Wow so all teams who replace bad players here with more bad players on offense  and start new QBs are rebuilding? 

I wonder how the season ticket holders who pay FULL PRICE feel about that? 

Pretty much.

Not sure...I guess they just accept the reality that its a rebuilding season?  

Pretty much.

Not sure...I guess they just accept the reality that its a rebuilding season?  

Have you noticed this year in the NFL there aren't many dominating teams  Pittsburgh is 0-4 the Giants are 0-4. Theres quite a few 2-2 teams at this point. This Jets team at 2-2 can still make the playoffs. We experimented with Gates,Obamanu,Green time to cut them loose they stink.

Have you noticed this year in the NFL there aren't many dominating teams  Pittsburgh is 0-4 the Giants are 0-4. Theres quite a few 2-2 teams at this point. This Jets team at 2-2 can still make the playoffs. We experimented with Gates,Obamanu,Green time to cut them loose they stink.

Broncos are about as dominant as it gets.  I think its safe to say, if the Jets made the playoffs, they'd get clobbered in Denver. 

The Jets arent doing anything significant this year.  We all knew this.  Showing some signs of a life is a good thing.  A young team like this will have some stinkers like we saw on Sunday.  This year is about learning, and seeing how they respond to a reeling Falcons team on the road is a good thing...win or lose.  

Archived