Behind the Butt fumble number 2...

slowmoe57

Geno's fumble is obviously not as bad.

At least with Smith, I understand what he was trying to do.  He was about to get tackled on his right arm, right where he was holding the ball.  He had to move the ball away somehow, or the tackler could just pick the ball out Geno's hands.  He decided to transfer the ball to his other arm but could not pull off that transfer before he got hit and the ball popped loose.  Not good, obviously, but at least he was trying to protect the ball.

With Sanchez, to this day I don't understand why he did what he did.  Things were going downhill for the team, lot of pressure on the QB as a result-but there's still no excuse for running into a stationary blocker's posterior.  The TV announcers were trying to say that Moore was thrown into Sanchez' path, but clearly that's not what happened.  If Sanchez runs three feet to the right he possibly makes the first down instead of plowing into his lineman's rearend and losing the ball.

With Sanchez, to this day I don't understand why he did what he did.  Things were going downhill for the team, lot of pressure on the QB as a result-but there's still no excuse for running into a stationary blocker's posterior.   

having watched the buttfumble 100,000 times this winter on ESPN, it's fairly clear Sanchez was trying to slide and kill a busted play. He didn't really run into Moore's ass as much as he slid into it.  which doesn't sound gay at all. 

That would make sense, let me check the video again.  Even if true it would be a little disappointing, since one step to the right of Moore there was a hole that might have taken him close to the first down, but at least there's an explanation of what Sanchez was attempting to do.

Looking at it again, you appear to be right.  Sanchez decided to start his slide at the instant he passed Moore, who was blocking Wilfork.  Moore might have moved back only a foot or so, but it was enough to interfere with Sanchez' slide which was just beginning.  The hole to the right was not that big as I recalled it, and it was first and 10 anyway, so he didn't need to make a first down. 

Not a good decision, but at least I understand what Sanchez was attempting.

cm-32612-050afe5c716b5c.gif

I agree, the left leg would not tuck in like that unless you were preparing to slide.  It even seems Sanchez has vision of sliding right into that gap when Moores ass backs into his head

Yep definitely a slide

Which brings up a point.   Isn't the play dead as soon as the QB begins his slide?  Honestly don't know 

Yep definitely a slide

Which brings up a point.   Isn't the play dead as soon as the QB begins his slide?  Honestly don't know 

Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1: 

When a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet;

Yep definitely a slide

I was always under the impression the ball was dead at the beginning of the slide motion.  At least that's the impression the announcers gave me

Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1: 

When a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet;

That clarifies it...thanks Bit

having watched the buttfumble 100,000 times this winter on ESPN, it's fairly clear Sanchez was trying to slide and kill a busted play. He didn't really run into Moore's ass as much as he slid into it.  which doesn't sound gay at all. 

Everybody seems to disregard the fact that Wilfork absolutley blasted Moore into Sanchez, lets not act like Moore was standing still, or pushing foward, he was getting blown back, and got an extra hard push from Wilfork at the exact same time Sanchez was trying to, well I don't know what the hell he was trying to do lol, but it is made out to be much worse than it actually was from a stupidity point of view, IMO Wilfork gets just as much credit for that play as Sanchez gets stupidity points.

Archived