F The Fish Thread

neckdemon

He's starting 7 news players on defense.

Jesus.  

lol

We've had a pair of new safeties every season. Figure it out Rex. 

And yeah being a fixture doesnt mean you're good. Jets fans overrate guys like crazy....there's a ton of David Harris type players in the league.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For as much as we've invested in defense and for how much Rex believes in defense first...it just isnt good enough. 

People keep trotting this reasoning out there, but if your old GM kept drafting duds on defense, it doesn't matter how much you invest.  For every Wilkerson we drafted Tannenbaum was also drafting Vernon Gholston, Kyle Wilson, Kenrick Ellis, and Quinton Coples.  He also overpaid David Harris who has been a huge liability in pass coverage, and now somehow Antonio Cromartie forgot how to play football. 

Idzik got us Sheldon Richardson but he also unfortunately took Dee Milliner.

We've had a pair of new safeties every season. Figure it out Rex.

All late rounders/UDFA's except for Landry, who we (rightfully) let go after 1 season.  And at least Antonio Allen (7th rounder) has looked pretty good at times.

If Milliner was as good as advertised and Cro didn't suddenly suck, we wouldn't be as worried about Safety right now.  The whole secondary is getting exposed now because of that, and if we don't get to the QB all day, we're in trouble. 

People keep trotting this reasoning out there, but if your old GM kept drafting duds on defense, it doesn't matter how much you invest.  For every Wilkerson we drafted Tannenbaum was also drafting Vernon Gholston, Kyle Wilson, Kenrick Ellis, and Quinton Coples.  He also overpaid David Harris who has been a huge liability in pass coverage, and now somehow Antonio Cromartie forgot how to play football. 

Idzik got us Sheldon Richardson but he also unfortunately took Dee Milliner.

My issue with the defense is....you'll be building it forever. You're never going to have a perfect defense and I dont know if Rex realizes that. The Jets defense is OK. Look around the league- most good teams are stopping the run. There are teams getting to the QB a lot better than the Jets though. A lot of defenses turn the ball over too- something we stink at. We love Wilkerson...but look at the stats for interior pressure around football...there are a bunch of dudes having better seasons. Hell- the Jets have no one near as good as Cam Wake on defense.

You need continuity on offense a lot more on defense....and our offense has had different guys at the skill positions every season. Next year will be no different.

My issue with the defense is....you'll be building it forever. You're never going to have a perfect defense and I dont know if Rex realizes that. You need continuity on offense a lot more on defense....and our offense has had different guys at the skill positions every season. Next year will be no different.

7 new starters THIS season.

lmfao

7 new starters THIS season.

lmfao

How many of those guys will be starters next season? Kind of what I mean....you're going to have new starters on defense every year. You can draft and draft defense but it's never going to be this superunit you guys envision. The Jets have put all of their resources into one side of the football and its just OK.

How many of those guys will be starters next season? Kind of what I mean....you're going to have new starters on defense every year. You can draft and draft defense but it's never going to be this superunit you guys envision. The Jets have put all of their resources into one side of the football and its just OK.

I think its pretty safe to say, Wilk, Richardson, Snacks, Coples, Harris, Davis, Milliner, Allen, Landry - will all be starters next season.

Very drastic difference.

I think its pretty safe to say, Wilk, Richardson, Snacks, Coples, Harris, Davis, Milliner, Allen, Landry - will all be starters next season.

Very drastic difference.

If Allen and Landry are starting that's not good. Milliner- who knows right now. He could be good he could suck. 

Very drastic difference.

Allen and Landry suck so hard. Get new rabbit ears for your 13" black and white TV, swamp logger.

If Allen and Landry are starting that's not good. Milliner- who knows right now. He could be good he could suck. 

Why is not good if Allen is starting?  He's a 7th round pick making huge strides.  If he continues to progress and keeps earning his starting role, that's a very good thing for the Jets.  I hope they upgrade Landry but I think they signed him to a multi-year deal and its clear Rex doesn't put the stock into safety as fans do (assuming he's still here).  

A bunch of corners available via FA. Spend on defense...draft offense.

Pretty amusing that five years after hiring the greatest defensive mind in the history of the game who was allegedly a huge free agent magnet and committing huge resources to defense over that span, that defense will essentially need to be rebuilt this offseason.

Why is not good if Allen is starting? He's a 7th round pick making huge strides. If he continues to progress and keeps earning his starting role, that's a very good thing for the Jets. I hope they upgrade Landry but I think they signed him to a multi-year deal and its clear Rex doesn't put the stock into safety as fans do (assuming he's still here).

Allen runs a 4.7 40. Landry might be slower.

Pretty amusing that five years after hiring the greatest defensive mind in the history of the game who was allegedly a huge free agent magnet and committing huge resources to defense over that span, that defense will essentially need to be rebuilt this offseason.

Moving parts all over the place....everything this team has done since Rex has been here as been defense orientated. 

My issue with the defense is....you'll be building it forever. You're never going to have a perfect defense and I dont know if Rex realizes that. The Jets defense is OK. Look around the league- most good teams are stopping the run. There are teams getting to the QB a lot better than the Jets though. A lot of defenses turn the ball over too- something we stink at. We love Wilkerson...but look at the stats for interior pressure around football...there are a bunch of dudes having better seasons. Hell- the Jets have no one near as good as Cam Wake on defense.

You need continuity on offense a lot more on defense....and our offense has had different guys at the skill positions every season. Next year will be no different.

You're right that the focus needs to shift towards the offense.  But reverting back to the "Rex keeps drafting defensive players!" argument is just plain false.  This was 100 % Idzik's draft.  And what's more, they DID want Tavon Austin, but couldn't land him. 

You're right that the focus needs to shift towards the offense. But reverting back to the "Rex keeps drafting defensive players!" argument is just plain false. This was 100 % Idzik's draft. And what's more, they DID want Tavon Austin, but couldn't land him.

Soooooooooo...you're saying Rex bears responsibility for the previous four drafts?

Moving parts all over the place....everything this team has done since Rex has been here as been defense orientated

Yeah, like trading up to get Sanchez in year 1. Although you do have a point - Sanchez did give the Defense a lot of attention by putting them back out on the field with his constant 3 and outs and horrible INT's.

Archived