Wilkerson Will Get Long-Term Deal

JetNation

I really hope they don't play contract games with Wilkerson.  Offer him a fat bonus, lots of upfront money, and keep him around for his career.

Problem with this might be Woody's experience with Revis.  Will he be wanting to fork over a lot of upfront money, not sure if the player will start talking hold out in 2 years?

Don't think Wilkerson is the type individual that will do that, but I don't know the guy either 

It's been reported from pretty much this past offseason that one of the very first things the Jets intend to do with the excessive amount of money they'll be sitting on in this coming offseason is locking Wilkerson up into a new long-term deal.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, particularly if they can make it a bit front-loaded in order to help out the cap hit later in the contract, considering they already have plenty of free money and will have even more of it once Sanchez and Holmes are sent packing.

He's locked in cheap next year and modestly expensive the following year with the option (still cheap for his position).  I think a decent amount of up-front money this year should go a long way to lowering his overall cap hit over the next 6 years or so as compared to waiting another year.  Never know till you start talking, but this *could* end up a great deal for both sides if reason rules the day.

I really hope they don't play contract games with Wilkerson.  Offer him a fat bonus, lots of upfront money, and keep him around for his career.

Problem with this might be Woody's experience with Revis.  Will he be wanting to fork over a lot of upfront money, not sure if the player will start talking hold out in 2 years?

Don't think Wilkerson is the type individual that will do that, but I don't know the guy either 

At this point of Revis' career with the Jets he had held out once and was already working on his second one.

Just rember his draft class was the first under the new rules and they all didn't recieve the contracts that they used to under the new rookie cap I think all of these draft class will be looking for big $ cause they didn't get it the first time . I expect him to get nothing less than anyone at his position

Don't think of Revis, think of Harris.  

I really hope they don't play contract games with Wilkerson. Offer him a fat bonus, lots of upfront money, and keep him around for his career.

Problem with this might be Woody's experience with Revis. Will he be wanting to fork over a lot of upfront money, not sure if the player will start talking hold out in 2 years?

He's been the anti-Revis so far. Didn't hold out on his rookie contract, and has leaked no threats through the media that he will do so now. He shows up to play every week, and that's it.

They'll pay him, and pay him very well. He certainly deserves it.

lets hope rex stops calling him the best defensive player in the NFL

In all fairness, he usually says best DE outside of JJ Watt, so at least he's slightly scaled back.

As good as Wilk as been, there's really a plethora of extremely talented defensive players on the line, so their contracts might serve as good starting points. I think Geno Atkins' deal of 6 years $56 million and $31 guaranteed is probably a pretty good estimate. While Wilk has certainly outplayed his rookie deal, we can technically control him for a few more years and his agent certainly knows that. What's funny is how good he's been, I bet his contract isn't even in the ball-park for what Revis asked for. I think 6 years at around $9.5-10.5 per year with about half guaranteed should be good. Certainly be nice to have him locked up.

Archived