Rex's offensive input

77DRAFT

How much offensive input does Rex have on game day?

Just wondering how many decisions Rex makes on the offensive side

of the equation?  Plays like going for the long field goal last week are

killing us, and the play calling, especially the 4th down call on the goal line

against the Steelers, (Powell up the middle) have really been non creative

and brain dead.  Is the a Rex / Marty situation or strictly a Marty situation?

Rex apologists have to realize that Rex is fully responsible for the horrible

offensive showing that he carries with him from year to year, and his

personell decisions leave a lot to be desired, the man simply can not 

coach offensive football, and that isn't going to change if it hasn't changed

by now, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Mangini said he called four or five plays a game, the four or five most important

plays, and that was a death sentence, anyone know how many (if any) plays

Wex calls.

rex and the 3 coordinators meet on tuesday to have a comprehensive overall game plan for that weeks opponent

I bet rex tells marty to run or pass in critical situations, take a shot or play it safe, but I bet he doesn't call a single actual play

yes the HC is ultimately responsible, but rex does not draft the players or call the plays on offense

settle down francis

And it's amusing already to watch Jets fans start to make that heel-turn toward blaming Marty now. It's early yet, and quiet, but you can see that developing as we speak. Poor Rex. Saddled with inept coordinators and players every time out. Change the GM, but the GM is still bad! Change the quarterback, but the quarterback is still bad! Change the offensive coordinator for a third time, but the offense is still bad! Good thing there's no common denominator or something.

And it's amusing already to watch Jets fans start to make that heel-turn toward blaming Marty now. It's early yet, and quiet, but you can see that developing as we speak. Poor Rex. Saddled with inept coordinators and players every time out. Change the GM, but the GM is still bad! Change the quarterback, but the quarterback is still bad! Change the offensive coordinator for a third time, but the offense is still bad! Good thing there's no common denominator or something.

In fairness to Rex, I think the rule is that most NFL coaches "get it" once they're on their third QB and fourth OC.

Did you just compare REx to Rich kotite?

Nooooo, but you used the time-honored defense that you hear right before every bad coach in every sport gets fired: "He's not out there missing tackles/making errors/missing free throws; he's not the one who's throwing interceptions/striking out/getting beaten to rebounds!"

Nooooo, but you used the time-honored defense that you hear right before every bad coach in every sport gets fired: "He's not out there missing tackles/making errors/missing free throws; he's not the one who's throwing interceptions/striking out/getting beaten to rebounds!"

Firing GMs coaches every five years doesn't make the team better. If we'd kept Bradway and Herm together, we'd have five titles right now.

Firing GMs coaches every five years doesn't make the team better. If we'd kept Bradway and Herm together, we'd have five titles right now.

(Bradway never left, funnily enough.)

this post illustrates the real problem which is expectation (5 titles) 

we expect the team to win it all but forget that it's a 1/32 chance every year

that's 3% for all the math fans out there

btw the Jets replaced 60% of their players year over year the fact that they are 5-5 we should be praising the coaches not talking about firing them. that goes for Kotwika and Marty too not just Rex. 

mediocre has become a curse word in these forums 

in this league .500 and above is by definition, an above average job. you shouldn't fire anyone performing above average unless there's a sure fire upgrade waiting in the wings. I don't care if we are talking about school janitors or the CEO of a fortune 500 company. above average isn't a fireable offense.

See guys, every team enters each year with only a 1 in 32 shot of winning the title.

It is these types of nuggets of NFL wisdom that you can find at draftdaddy.com. That website is draftdaddy.com.

btw the Jets replaced 60% of their players year over year the fact that they are 5-5 we should be praising the coaches not talking about firing them. that goes for Kotwika and Marty too not just Rex. 

in this league .500 and above is by definition, an above average job. you shouldn't fire anyone performing above average unless there's a sure fire upgrade waiting in the wings. I don't care if we are talking about school janitors or the CEO of a fortune 500 company. above average isn't a fireable offense.

Strive to be average bro. I like it

(Bradway never left, funnily enough).

this post illustrates the real problem which is expectation

OK, again, why don't you try to explain how a coach that bad has a plus .500 W/L percentage? I suppose it was because Tanny was such an amazing GM? Or because Sanchez was a top of the line QB? What is it?

Keep ******* that chicken, Sartre.

OK, again, why don't you try to explain how a coach that bad has a plus .500 W/L percentage? I suppose it was because Tanny was such an amazing GM? Or because Sanchez was a top of the line QB? What is it?

The same reason Chad Pennington has a 44-37 career record as a starter.

So nobody on this site knows if Rex steps in and calls plays, 

most HC's do, it would be interesting to know.

It's a simple question with a simple answer, he

probably is taking the wheel at the most crucial

times, or Marty has become very conservative morphing

into Schotty when his creativity and wildness are needed

most, sorry if I hurt the feelings of Rex apologists, hopefully

someone will ask Rex this question, it has a lot to do with

evaluating him.

More whining for the sake of whining. What coach would have this rag tag bunch performing any better? Belichick has 2 more wins with a top 3 qb. Your're saying he'd have 7 wins with Smith to Nelson?

The bar has been lowered to Average. I believe in Rex's ability to continue coaching a defense that can get us 7-9 wins a year if we keep using our high draft picks on it. I'm happy being the Blackberry of the NFL instead of Apple or Android. We could always fall into that Other category and wind up being flip phones if we try to improve.

Whoa, then we have been severly ripped off as Jet Fans. We last won in 1969, so we are on 44 years without a title. If the formula is 1/32 of a chance, then since 1969, we are owed (if my math is correct), approximately 1.3 titles, and I will even throw the .3 titles in as a tip and settle for the 1 title we are owed. We better hurry up and get that next one because in the year 2033 we will be owed 2 complete titles.

last weeks game plan sucked.  but overall i've been impressed with how he went from a 60/40 pass guy to a 60/40 run guy after seeing the dogsh*t he had for talent here

So nobody on this site knows if Rex steps in and calls plays, 

most HC's do, it would be interesting to know.

It's a simple question with a simple answer, he

probably is taking the wheel at the most crucial

times, or Marty has become very conservative morphing

into Schotty when his creativity and wildness are needed

most, sorry if I hurt the feelings of Rex apologists, hopefully

someone will ask Rex this question, it has a lot to do with

evaluating him.

something tells me idzik knows, and nothing else really matters tbh

Idzik's actually calling the plays with the express intent of sabotaging Rex and undermining his genius.

Maybe next year Idzik can just concentrate on the draft and free agency so we can actually get some talent on this team.

Archived