Rex showing that he is incapable of learning.

DonCorleone

He wouldn't get a head coaching job anywhere else in the NFL.

this board is way down on Rex Ryan. SO down it's not even in touch with reality. It's kinda like how Philly fans hated Andy Reid 

the fact is Rex Ryan would get another HC job in 5 mins. He's got a playoff resume, he's got a signature defense and his winning percentage is way above .500. Put him on a team with any kind of decent QB and he's ready to roll.

you might not agree with this statement but it's not about what you or I want it's about supply and demand at the NFL HC position. Right now there's a huge demand and a small supply. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this board is way down on Rex Ryan. SO down it's not even in touch with reality. It's kinda like how Philly fans hated Andy Reid 

the fact is Rex Ryan would get another HC job in 5 mins. He's got a playoff resume, he's got a signature defense and his winning percentage is way above .500. Put him on a team with any kind of decent QB and he's ready to roll.

you might not agree with this statement but it's not about what you or I want it's about supply and demand at the NFL HC position. Right now there's a huge demand and a small supply. 

Lovie Smith would like a word with you.

Lovie Smith would like a word with you.

when Lovie Smith was fired he still had a ton of time left on his contract. Therefore he doesn't really "Need" a job right away. In fact if he takes another HC job i believe he forfeits what Chicago is still paying him.  Lovie did interview for several teams btw. 

here's a question would you want Lovie Smith to coach the Jets? cause that's a highly qualified candidate in the NFL HC market. Probably not a cheap one to hire either. 

when Lovie Smith was fired he still had a ton of time left on his contract. Therefore he doesn't really "Need" a job right away. In fact if he takes another HC job i believe he forfeits what Chicago is still paying him.  Lovie did interview for several teams btw. 

here's a question would you want Lovie Smith to coach the Jets? cause that's a highly qualified candidate in the NFL HC market. Probably not a cheap one to hire either. 

No team wanted to hire him. They recently did an interview with him where he was still studying for a nfl coaching job. He said colleges were trying to get him, but no NFL team wanted him, Rex would be in a similar position as he was. He probably got offers to be an assistant though, but he wanted to be an NFL Head coach, no dice though. As for wanting him, no. I'd just keep Rex in that case. Both of them have no idea how to run an offense, but are great defensive coaches.

If history is any indication, he'll get fired and he'll end up in Miami or Buffalo where he'll torment us for years.

Why would any coach take a one year extension? It's not an option that exists outside of the dimwit minds of a message board.

If it's for a NFL head coaching job, and it's the only available option for a head coaching job, you'd bet their ass they'd take it if they were previously the head coach of said team and their job is on the hot seat.

the fact is Rex Ryan would get another HC job in 5 mins.

You love to lecture us about how the NFL is loaded with boring old fuddy-duddies who would never coach in New York because they're afraid of strippers (or whatever the **** you're talking about). The one area in which this is true is NFL owners, who are as straitlaced and humorless a group of men as you'll find anywhere. And they're going to hire a guy who a.) has gotten into a fistfight with his neighbor, b.) has flipped off fans, c.) has multiple tattoos, and d.) spends his offseasons making fetish videos with his wife. Whatever you think about Rex as a coach, the odds are against him getting another job, particularly immediately, simply because NFL owners are a bunch of puritanical prudes.

You love to lecture us about how the NFL is loaded with boring old fuddy-duddies who would never coach in New York because they're afraid of strippers (or whatever the **** you're talking about). The one area in which this is true is NFL owners, who are as straitlaced and humorless a group of men as you'll find anywhere. And they're going to hire a guy who a.) has gotten into a fistfight with his neighbor, b.) has flipped off fans, c.) has multiple tattoos, and d.) spends his offseasons making fetish videos with his wife. Whatever you think about Rex as a coach, the odds are against him getting another job, particularly immediately, simply because NFL owners are a bunch of puritanical prudes.

That and the fact that every team now wants a high powered offense.

If it's for a NFL head coaching job, and it's the only available option for a head coaching job, you'd bet their ass they'd take it if they were previously the head coach of said team and their job is on the hot seat.

The one-year extension isn't a reality-based entity. This is Rex's show-me year. If he finishes 8-8, he gets a 4-year extension or he doesn't: it's not in his best interest, and it definitely isn't in the best interest of a franchise--to give out tryout contracts for head coaches. Either they believe in the coach or they don't. As for Rex, the only reason he'd take a de facto one-year deal is if it came with a sh*t-ton of cash attached to it, which it won't. Otherwise, it's a slap in the face.

you are right about all of this but what you neglect is the nepotism factor in the NFL which is huge. If it wasn't for Buddy, Rex and Rob wouldn't even have gotten a chance. Neither of those guys fit the mold (as you point out) and they got into the worlds most boring fraternity because they were legacy admissions. they didn't fit in when they were at the bottom of the totem pole. Now that they are both at or near the top, their different-ness is forgotten. 

and speaking of nepotism, start matt simms 

you are right about all of this but what you neglect is the nepotism factor in the NFL which is huge. If it wasn't for Buddy, Rex and Rob wouldn't even have gotten a chance. Neither of those guys fit the mold (as you point out) and they got into the worlds most boring fraternity because they were legacy admissions.

Sure, but that doesn't guarantee them a job for life. I have no doubt that if Rex gets fired, he'll immediately find a job as a defensive coordinator. I'm just dubious of his prospects as a head coach.

Sure, but that doesn't guarantee them a job for life. I have no doubt that if Rex gets fired, he'll immediately find a job as a defensive coordinator. I'm just dubious of his prospects as a head coach.

Rex isn't a DC anymore. He got a haircut, lost weight and won about 40 regular season games (plus 4 playoff wins). he has signature wins against Belly, Brady, Manning, Brees etc. There's a reason why Rob topped out at DC and Rex moved on to HC. the andy reid comparison is actually a sound one, guys like that who are so good at being coordinators are elevated to HC because that's what they want to be called when they are doing their coordinating.  

Rex isn't a DC anymore. He got a haircut, lost weight and won about 40 regular season games (plus 4 playoff wins). he has signature wins against Belly, Brady, Manning, Brees etc. There's a reason why Rob topped out at DC and Rex moved on to HC. the andy reid comparison is actually a sound one, guys like that who are so good at being coordinators are elevated to HC because that's what they want to be called when they are doing their coordinating.

Because he made Woody feel like a frat pledge.

Andy Reid won seven division titles and developed 46 quarterbacks and owners like quarterbacks.

Rex_Ryan_wife.jpg

Yeah, if 2 of our wins were losses we'd be 3-8.

What do you want? Penalties are part of the game. Rex's team was NOT the team that blew those 2 games. That was the Patriots and Bucs. If it were the other way around, you wouldn't be talking about 2 games that we "should have" won.

Of course penalties are a part of the game, but looking at the Jets record and saying how great of a coach is without acknowledging there has been two gifts of wins is not really right IMO.

I don't blame anyone.

Rex had been building this team for 5 years, I believes in Rex, looks like I was wrong .

If not for two gift wins, we are 3-8 right now and wondering if Rex makes it through the season.

This is what's so beguiling to me: Rex has been here five years. This is the final product. This is what he's put together. Regardless of how bad the GMs allegedly ****ed him over, where are all of these players he was supposed to attract? Where are these players that this player's coach was going to create here? Rex fans were outright giddy that he had the team at .500. After five years as coach. He's supposed to be competing for titles by now. Instead, it's in full rebuild.

This is what's so beguiling to me: Rex has been here five years. This is the final product. This is what he's put together. Regardless of how bad the GMs allegedly ****ed him over, where are all of these players he was supposed to attract? Where are these players that this player's coach was going to create here? Rex fans were outright giddy that he had the team at .500. After five years as coach. He's supposed to be competing for titles by now. Instead, it's in full rebuild.

That's what happens when you miss badly on a qb in the 1st round. Hard to win in this league when your qb sucks dick. And that's also the reason why we need to draft a qb in the 1st round. I want to see someone try and tell me why mister 22.7 qbr rating should be our qb in 2014.

Also look at Kansas City. Look at them now when they finally have an average qb. Their 9-2 with just game manager qb play. They drafted really well all those years they couldn't find a qb and its paying off now. It goes to show you how much a qb influences a team.

In all likelihood at the end of year five Rex will be right around .500 as a HC. He took over a 9-7 team and at the end of year the team will be in a much worse position than where it was five years ago.

Jets fans hated Mangini, and I'm not a fan either, but he had two winning seasons in three years and took over a horrid team from Herm. Mangjni was hated, Rex is loved.

Same GM for both.

That's what happens when you miss badly on a qb in the 1st round. Hard to win in this league when your qb sucks dick. And that's also the reason why we need to draft a qb in the 1st round. I want to see someone try and tell me why mister 22.7 qbr rating should be our qb in 2014.

Also look at Kansas City. Look at them now when they finally have an average qb. Their 9-2 with just game manager qb play. They drafted really well all those years they couldn't find a qb and its paying off now. It goes to show you how much a qb influences a team.

He's had five years to find his Alex Smith and he didn't do it. His response to developing Sanchez was to surround him with Holmes, Plaxico, and Derrick Mason. Then it was to hire Tony Sparano. If you're going to let Mark Sanchez destroy your regime, you need a better regime.

I don't blame anyone.

Rex had been building this team for 5 years, I believes in Rex, looks like I was wrong .

If not for two gift wins, we are 3-8 right now and wondering if Rex makes it through the season.

Believe in Rex as well.  If he nosedive two straight season hes got to go.  Gift wins?  No such thing.  Good teams win ugly.

Believe in Rex as well. If he nosedive two straight season hes got to go. Gift wins? No such thing. Good teams win ugly.

Come on, those games were both absolutely lost if not for complete fluke penalties, both of them. I am thrilled we did, but they are what they are.

I am hoping Rex can get this team to 9-7 this year, with the remaining schedule that is doable if he is the coach I think he is. Every remaining game is very winnable.

He's had five years to find his Alex Smith and he didn't do it. His response to developing Sanchez was to surround him with Holmes, Plaxico, and Derrick Mason. Then it was to hire Tony Sparano. If you're going to let Mark Sanchez destroy your regime, you need a better regime.

To be fair, I imagine most people thought that Sanchez would be at least a little better than Smith.

Sadly this is true.

He chases Asomgua while letting the line and receiving core go to crap. He should have known Sanchez was not good enough to carry a team, but he wanted to build the 85 bears d, which is not really possible anymore.

2011 set the team down the path it is today.

Archived