Mariota returning to Oregon next year

faba

Marcus Mariota to return to Oregon
Updated: December 3, 2013, 6:20 PM ET
By Kevin Gemmell | ESPN.com
  •  
Mariota Will Return To Oregon

•  

Quarterback Marcus Mariota will bypass the 2014 NFL draft and return for his junior season at Oregon, it was announced Tuesday.

Mariota, a first-team All-Pac-12 selection for the second straight year, has completed 227 of 360 attempts for 3,412 yards with 30 touchdowns and four interceptions. The redshirt sophomore set a Pac-12 record from the end of last season into this year by attempting 353 passes without an interception. The streak came to an end on his first attempt against Arizona on Nov. 23.

"It is an honor to be a student at the University of Oregon and to have the opportunity to represent our institution on the football field alongside my teammates," Mariota said in a statement released by the school. "I look forward to earning my degree next year and to the rest of my career at this great university."

Mariota ranks second nationally behind Florida State's Jameis Winston with a 90.1 Total QBR and is third on the team with 582 rushing yards and nine touchdowns on 81 carries.

He should again receive considerable buzz and be among the early favorites for the Heisman Trophy in 2014.

In two seasons, Mariota has 6,089 passing yards, 77 total touchdowns and only 10 interceptions. His streak of 25 games with at least one TD pass is third longest in the nation.

In addition, Hroniss Grasu, a three-year starter at center, announced that he is returning to the Ducks.

Oregon completed the regular season with a 10-2 record (7-2 Pac-12 North) -- the sixth consecutive 10-win season for the Ducks.

Second best NFL QB prospect in the state of Oregon...

OUCH, this hurts, Not because I wanted Mariota (I didnt) but now Manziel will be the 2nd QB off the board and probably gone for the Jets unless we really crash and burn (which is what we are doing), and trade up,

We are now looking at Carr, McCarron, Mettenberg, possibly Hundley if he comes out, and Murray with his torn up knee. Of all those, I would take McCarron, then Mettenberg, then Carr, and finally Hundley, but truthfully all have to be a step up from the calamity we have now.

OUCH, this hurts, Not because I wanted Mariota (I didnt) but now Manziel will be the 2nd QB off the board and probably gone for the Jets unless we really crash and burn (which is what we are doing), and trade up,

We are now looking at Carr, McCarron, Mettenberg, possibly Hundley if he comes out, and Murray with his torn up knee. Of all those, I would take McCarron, then Mettenberg, then Carr, and finally Hundley, but truthfully all have to be a step up from the calamity we have now.

This group of QB's, and a few not named, or even known by most will bounce all over the map as far as where "draft guru's" think, say, and mock them, and only what each team thinks of each really matters, one team might have McCarron ahead of them all, and a few might not even put Manziel on their board at all because of his character concerns, and Hundley if he comes out because of his lack of experience. But I still don't see Bridgewater being knocked off the #1 QB pedestal, or even #1 overall pick like Geno did last year.

This group of QB's, and a few not named, or even known by most will bounce all over the map as far as where "draft guru's" think, say, and mock them, and only what each team thinks of each really matters, one team might have McCarron ahead of them all, and a few might not even put Manziel on their board at all because of his character concerns, and Hundley if he comes out because of his lack of experience. But I still don't see Bridgewater being knocked off the #1 QB pedestal, or even #1 overall pick like Geno did last year.

I agree, maybe, although even with this scenario, I could see a team trading DOWN, but what if ATLANTA with Ryan end up with the worst record? Do they trade down or take the MONSTER from SC, Clowney (that dude is scary)?

Jacksonville definitely taiking Bridgewater if they get it, Tampa Bay defiinitely taking Bridgewater, Hmmmm Washington, what do they do if they get it? Minnesota, definitely taking Bridgewater.

Maybe the JETS should hope its Atlanta, or Washington, and with all their picks, make a run at Bridgewater for the first pick. Interesting,

I agree, maybe, although even with this scenario, I could see a team trading DOWN, but what if ATLANTA with Ryan end up with the worst record? Do they trade down or take the MONSTER from SC, Clowney (that dude is scary)?

Jacksonville definitely taiking Bridgewater if they get it, Tampa Bay defiinitely taking Bridgewater, Hmmmm Washington, what do they do if they get it? Minnesota, definitely taking Bridgewater.

Maybe the JETS should hope its Atlanta, or Washington, and with all their picks, make a run at Bridgewater for the first pick. Interesting,

I don't see that being the Idzik way, BUT it is the Woody Johnson way so it would be very possible if one of those 2 teams get the 1st pick, the BIG problem with that thou is the ransom you are going to have to pay, it starts with 13, and 14 1st rounders, 13 2nd, and one of our 13 3rd rounders! I would do this in a heart beat if it was a sure cant miss thing, but as good as Bridgewater is said to be he has never gotten the Luck, Manning label, so this would be a HELL NO for me! Would rather gamble on the highest rated QB the Jets scouts identify in the 2nd tier, and hope you get the Russell Wilson, I know it doesn't happen often, but with all these QB's one will slip through the cracks, and become a huge 3rd round steal this year IMO, the odds really favor it.

^ If Mannion plays on this team, with these weapons and his pronounced/deliberate delivery we can probably draft both Oregon players. 

I am guessing he's staying at OSU.  He still needs work and another year of improvement will really help his 2015 stock.  Watch Jimmy Garopollo wow at the combine for those that haven't seen him -- the level of competition is the one and only question mark -- this kid is a natural.

I am guessing he's staying at OSU.  He still needs work and another year of improvement will really help his 2015 stock.  Watch Jimmy Garopollo wow at the combine for those that haven't seen him -- the level of competition is the one and only question mark -- this kid is a natural.

Have you heard of a kid named JEF MATHEWS? big strong, huge arm, BUT plays in a very soft league. Look him up for late 5th early 6th round.

Have you heard of a kid named JEF MATHEWS? big strong, huge arm, BUT plays in a very soft league. Look him up for late 5th early 6th round.

Yep, plays at Cornell.  Eastern Illinois if the NFL compared to the Ivy League* -- but you never know.  The only thing not to like about Mathews is the league he plays in.  I would take a flyer on him late if, for nothing else, back-up material.

Edit: *Maybe not quite. :-)

Yep, plays at Cornell.  Eastern Illinois if the NFL compared to the Ivy League* -- but you never know.  The only thing not to like about Mathews is the league he plays in.  I would take a flyer on him late if, for nothing else, back-up material.

Edit: *Maybe not quite. :-)

I'm intrigued with Blake Bortles if he comes out, some say could be a 1st rounder, others say 3rd, or further, he will probably go back for his senior year if CFU plays in a BCS game, and he gets beat up, but if the opposite happens, and he goes out, and has a great game on a national stage to go with his head to head victory VS Bridgewater this year, he would probably have no choice, but to come out his stock could only go down from there in that situation.

I'm intrigued with Blake Bortles if he comes out, some say could be a 1st rounder, others say 3rd, or further, he will probably go back for his senior year if CFU plays in a BCS game, and he gets beat up, but if the opposite happens, and he goes out, and has a great game on a national stage to go with his head to head victory VS Bridgewater this year, he would probably have no choice, but to come out his stock could only go down from there in that situation.

No way not to cash in on that situation.  I haven't seen CFU this season -- but being nationally ranked with a non-scrub schedule definitely gives Bortles added credibility.

Would be crazy if this dude gets hurt next year, misses most of the season and his draft stock falls big....Should have taken the money..

You are nothing short of a football genius.  Your insight makes it a pleasure to have you here.  Thanks for playing.

This crop of QBs isn't all that inspiring either.

Compared to Manuel and Smith? This group looks like 1983,  but in reality is probably not even up to Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger.

However, as I said, ANYONE of these compared to the train wreck we have now look great, and just cant be worse, can they?

Archived