Unloading Revis Was a Good Thing...

Steveg

Yep.  The NFL is definitely the "not for long" league so I'm certainly not going to blame him for trying to maximize his earnings.  During his time here, the guy was one of the greatest Jets ever.  There's no way I'm going to be anything but grateful for that.  I remain a Revis fan (and a Jet fan).

I feel the same. Its a business. Football wise though, Revis as A Jet was great and I'll alway feel like I was around to see a rare, very special athlete. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that TWENTY-ONE teams have found their "guy" leaving 11 that WANT to pay a franchise guy, and I include Buffalo, in this eleven as the book is still out on him, so it appears that 2/3's of the teams in the NFL have found thier guy, so I guess it cant be that tough given the haves to have nots.

Obviously, all these teams with REAL QB's are better than the Jets, simply because of that ONE position, the most important position in sports, and until they address that need, we will continue to be a bottom feeder in the NFL.

btw disproving the number of teams looking for franchise QB doesn't even address the point of the argument, which is that you can want to pay a QB revis type money but that doesn't mean they will get the chance. even if it's only 10 teams looking for a QB (to be generous) that's 9 more than ideal. the Jets don't have a superstar to pay Revis' money to... they should have kept the superstar they had. 

btw disproving the number of teams looking for franchise QB doesn't even address the point of the argument, which is that you can want to pay a QB revis type money but that doesn't mean they will get the chance. even if it's only 10 teams looking for a QB (to be generous) that's 9 more than ideal. the Jets don't have a superstar to pay Revis' money to... they should have kept the superstar they had. 

OK, if you want to pay a Corner 16 mill, be my guest.

But

I want to pay a Franchise QB 16 mill.

Just out of curiosity, How many corners are making 16 mill, and how many QB's are making 16 mill? And I'm serious, not trying to degarde you in any way, just curious?

I'm impressed that you can stick to this point of view. The fact that they got Sheldon Richardson -a star in the making- with the Revis pick, and have him locked up for four years for significantly less money than Revis has already made this year demonstrates that it was a good move to move him.

Revis or Sheldon Richardson, another player drafted in the third or fourth round next year, and $13M in cap space to further improve the roster? It's really not even close.

OK, if you want to pay a Corner 16 mill, be my guest.

But

I want to pay a Franchise QB 16 mill.

Just out of curiosity, How many corners are making 16 mill, and how many QB's are making 16 mill? And I'm serious, not trying to degarde you in any way, just curious?

Right now the highest paid players are:

1) Aaron Rodgers 22 mil

2) Joe Flacco 20 mil

3) Drew Brees 20 mil

4) Peyton Manning 19.8 mil

5) Calvin Johnson 18.1 mil

6) Tony Romo 18 mil

7) Eli Manning 15.1 mil

8) Mario Williams 15 mil 

9) Darrelle Revis 14.5 mil

10) Tom Brady 14.2 mil

please note several things, 1) not all the guys on this list are QBs 2) Brady is much lower on this list than he needs to be. Jets fans might like the idea of making Jay Cutler number 3 on this list next year but paying a QB franchise money and getting franchise QB play are also two different things. Is Eli worth more than Revis right now? 

I'm impressed that you can stick to this point of view. The fact that they got Sheldon Richardson -a star in the making- with the Revis pick, and have him locked up for four years for significantly less money than Revis has already made this year demonstrates that it was a good move to move him.

Revis or Sheldon Richardson, another player drafted in the third or fourth round next year, and $13M in cap space to further improve the roster? It's really not even close.

I really love the Sheldon pick but will he be an all pro? will he be a 4x All Pro in his first 5 years? We shall see.

Also don't agree with Sperm's phd disseration that keeping Revis means they pay 7.5 mil to draft Milliner. It assumes Idzik doesn't draft for need, which he clearly did in rounds 2 and 3.

for the record my stance was keep Revis, play out the string, and see how it goes. There was no need to trade him and accelerate 13 mil of dead space. I don't buy into multi year rebuilds, they could have used Revis this year at various points. 

Right now the highest paid players are:

1) Aaron Rodgers 22 mil

2) Joe Flacco 20 mil

3) Drew Brees 20 mil

4) Peyton Manning 19.8 mil

5) Calvin Johnson 18.1 mil

6) Tony Romo 18 mil

7) Eli Manning 15.1 mil

8) Mario Williams 15 mil 

9) Darrelle Revis 14.5 mil

10) Tom Brady 14.2 mil

please note several things, 1) not all the guys on this list are QBs 2) Brady is much lower on this list than he needs to be. Jets fans might like the idea of making Jay Cutler number 3 on this list next year but paying a QB franchise money and getting franchise QB play are also two different things. Is Eli worth more than Revis right now? 

Thanks, Great list. very revealing, 7 Qbs, 1 edge rusher, 1 corner, 1 wr.

Is Eli worth more than Revis right now? Tell me how bad Revis's knee really is and then I could make a better decision. I would say, this is a wash right now, all things considered,

BY FAR, the best value on this list is BRADY.

I would be willing to go somewhere around #6 to #7 for Cutler.

Archived