flgreen

Roster evaluation: Players rankings, 1 to 5
February, 8, 2014
FEB 8
8:00
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
  •  

Finally, the top five players on the New York Jets' roster. 

As a reminder, the rankings are based on 2013 performance, positional value, potential and contractual/salary-cap status. As you can see, three of the top five are players with less than four years experience, which, of course, bodes well for the team's future. 

We'll start at No. 5. Here you go: 

5. Damon Harrison, nose tackle, (cap charge: $572,000): The former undrafted free agent has emerged as one of the best run-stuffing interior linemen in the league. Yes, the league. According to Pro Football Focus, a stats-based web site, "Big Snacks" was the fifth-rated 3-4 nose tackle. He's one of the big reasons why the Jets' run defense improved so much. Opponents rushed for only 3.0 yards per carry when he was in the game, as opposed to 3.4 when he was on the sideline. Harrison, grossly underpaid, changed agents, hiring the heavyweight CAA firm -- an indication he could be looking for a new deal. 

4.  Ferguson didn't have a vintage year (eight sacks allowed, according to PFF), but he's still a top-12 left tackle. He's still only 30 years old, plays one of the most important positions on the field, and never gets hurt. Incredibly, he has missed only one snap in his entire career. He's one of the highest-paid left tackles, but he's durable and reliable, protecting the all-important blind side. 

Nick Mangold, center, (cap charge: $7.2 million): Some people feel Mangold slipped a bit last season, especially as a run blocker, but I didn't see it. The Jets finished sixth in rushing, and they averaged 5.11 per carry on runs up the middle, fourth in the league, according to NFL stats. Mangold allowed no sacks, according to PFF. While it's true he rarely comes up anymore in the "best-center-in-the-league" conversation, Mangold, who made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, still is a top-tier player. His guidance was invaluable for rookie quarterback Geno Smith

2. Sheldon Richardson, defensive tackle, (cap charge: $2.3 million): Every team longs to have a player like Richardson, the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. He's a big, athletic, versatile and relentless defensive lineman. He's already a terrific run defender, demonstrating the ability to play behind the line of scrimmage. His production as a pass-rusher tailed off in the second half of the season (he finished with only 3.5 sacks), an aspect of his game that needs improvement. As long as he stays hungry, Richardson has many Pro Bowls in his future. 

1. Muhammad Wilkerson, defensive end, (cap charge: $2.2 million): He completes the "Sons of Anarchy" presence in the top 5. Pound for pound, he's the best player on the team, a holdover from the Mike Tannenbaum regime. Wilkerson has improved each season, and many believe he still hasn't reached his ceiling. He wanted to become a better pass-rusher last season, and he did, leading the team with a career-high 10.5 sacks. Due to make $1.2 million in '14, Wilkerson has outperformed his rookie contract, but his rights belong to the Jets for two more years, assuming they exercise a 2015 option. 

I agree !!!

Thanks, How have you been?

Havent seen you post much since the "TROLL" incident. I got killed in that thread for intervening, but that's fine, I seem to get killed for many things, and will probably get killed in this thread for mentioning that Our QB would not get mentioned until about page 6 and for not celebrating all the STARS Rex has produced on defense.

Post more, your posts are always spot on.

Thanks, How have you been?

Havent seen you post much since the "TROLL" incident. I got killed in that thread for intervening, but that's fine, I seem to get killed for many things, and will probably get killed in this thread for mentioning that Our QB would not get mentioned until about page 6 and for not celebrating all the STARS Rex has produced on defense.

Post more, your posts are always spot on.

I saw that. I just let it lie some people don't like anyone saying anything bad abt the jets . But I've been a fan so long I'm just tired of being inconsient always

the rest of that article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/35381/roster-evaluation-player-rankings-6-to-10

6. David Harris, middle linebacker, (cap charge: $7 million): He calls the defensive signals and rarely comes off the field. Harris played well last season after a disappointing 2012, showing a marked improvement in pass coverage. He's not an elite linebacker in theNaVorro Bowman category, but he's a VIP in the Jets' world. Harris is headed into a contract year. 

7. Geno Smith, quarterback, (cap charge: $1.1 million): This is based largely on positional value and potential. The Jets have a young, developing quarterback who won eight games as a rookie and, barring something unforeseen, he will be the starter again in 2014. It's too soon to say he's the real deal, but his arrow is pointed up -- and that counts for something. 

8. Dee Milliner, cornerback, (cap charge: $2.9 million): He was the ninth overall pick in the 2013 draft, a lofty position that carries a lot of weight. The Jets believe Milliner, who struggled much of the year, turned the corner (no pun intended) in the final month. If he continues on that trajectory, he'll be a No. 1-caliber corner in 2014. 

9. Jeremy Kerley, wide receiver, (cap charge: $1.4 million): Facts are facts: The Jets were 0-4 without Kerley, 8-4 with him. Statisically, their passing attack was more effective when he was on the field -- .6 yards per pass attempt better, to be exact. Not bad for a diminutive slot receiver. 

10. Quinton Coples, outside linebacker, ($2.4 million): If you polled players on the team, asking them which player has the most potential, Coples would come up most often. With him, it comes down to want-to. He has only 10 sacks in two years, but the total should increase at a faster rate now that he's had a year to learn the "rush" linebacker position. 

Previously: 

11. Antonio Cromartie, cornerback 

12. Austin Howard, right tackle 

13. Chris Ivory, running back 

14. Demario Davis, linebacker 

15. Brian Winters, left guard 

16. Dawan Landry, safety 

17. Calvin Pace, outside linebacker 

18. Bilal Powell, running back 

19. Jeff Cumberland, tight end 

20. Santonio Holmes, wide receiver 

21. Mark Sanchez, quarterback 

22. Antonio Allen, safety 

23. Nick Folk, placekicker 

24. Willie Colon, right guard 

25. Stephen Hill, wide receiver

How is SANCHEZ still in the TOP 25? So of the Jets top 25 players, 2 are QB's that have combined for the past 5 years to have (by .1 points) the 2nd worst QBR in the league for a team,2nd worst only to Cleveland. I could look at the Jets practice squad, and come up with 5 players ahead of Sanchez. WOW.

How is SANCHEZ still in the TOP 25? So of the Jets top 25 players, 2 are QB's that have combined for the past 5 years to have (by .1 points) the 2nd worst QBR in the league for a team,2nd worst only to Cleveland. I could look at the Jets practice squad, and come up with 5 players ahead of Sanchez. WOW.

There's only 22 starters on our team.  Sanzhez despite not playing a single snap this season beat out four "key" players. LOL

Talk about a kick in the nuts for Willie Colon and Stephen Hill. 

Personally, I would've placed Antonio Allen ahead of Mark, but that's just me. 

Archived