NFL Draft prospect announces he's gay: Michael Sam, OLB/DE Missouri

T0mShane

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we forced to act like this kid did not consider the possibilities?  He should, but I'm pretty sure that he did.  He has a publicist, yet I am painfully naive. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/sports/football/for-nfl-prospect-michael-sam-upbringing-was-bigger-challenge-than-coming-out-as-gay.html

No way man, didnt consider it at all, Agents and publishers dont think of marketability,not even in thier job descrption

HAHAHA.. agents never lie,,,,my god you guys are gullible

You're right. Sam's motives are financial and his agent's full of sh*t and it's clear he's probably not even really gay, he's probably just faking it so he can be a spokesman for KY Jelly.

Gotta admit man, it's kinda sad that you don't realize how much of a dickhead viewpoint all of this is.

You're right. Sam's motives are financial and his agent's full of sh*t and it's clear he's probably not even really gay, he's probably just faking it so he can be a spokesman for KY Jelly.

Gotta admit man, it's kinda sad that you don't realize how much of a dickhead viewpoint all of this is.

yes, cause saying he considered the implications beyond football is saying he's not really gay. Ridiculous. Never once did I say it was the only reason. And I'm sorry, agents lie, it's kinda of part of their job.

I can't understand how suggesting the man and his team of representatives considered this move from all angles is a "dickhead viewpoint". I'm in meetings like this all time, it's the way it works.

No way man, didnt consider it at all, Agents and publishers dont think of marketability,not even in thier job descrption

Yeah, see, the problem with this whole TEH GAY =TEH FAME = TEH MONIES thing you're doing here is that the fleeting, superficial outside world interest generated by the announcement is a whole other thing from the actual and perceived consumer preferences, HR decisions, and working conditions that will ultimately dictate his ability to capitalize on it.

I'm going to be so angry when the publishers start pushing his line of gay pop up books to children. I can't even imagine what Blindside 2 is going to be like

Yeah, see, the problem with this whole TEH GAY =TEH FAME = TEH MONIES thing you're doing here is that the fleeting, superficial outside world interest generated by the announcement is a whole other thing from the actual and perceived consumer preferences, HR decisions, and working conditions that will ultimately dictate his ability to capitalize on it.

When did I say it was the sole reason for his decision? You guys are acting as if I'm saying he only did it for the attention. I said it was considered. probably in a large meeting with his agents. it's just the way these things work. I'm not maligning the guy or criticizing him for considering it, he should be and his agents would be doing him a disservice if they hadn't analyzed it.

yes, cause saying he considered the implications beyond football is saying he's not really gay. Ridiculous. Never once did I say it was the only reason. And I'm sorry, agents lie, it's kinda of part of their job.

I can't understand how suggesting the man and his team of representatives considered this move from all angles is a "dickhead viewpoint". I'm in meetings like this all time, it's the way it works.

Oy vey. Ever the contrarian. You're 100% in the wrong on this one. I'm sorry you can't see why.

Oy vey. Ever the contrarian. You're 100% in the wrong on this one. I'm sorry you can't see why.

And I am sorry you think agents don't lie. You can say I'm wrong all you like, but I'm certain I am not. It was clearly discussed and factored into his decision, 

Oh yeah, clearly.

In addition to notoriety and book deals, I also don't think we should rule out doing it for political gains. Now, I'm not saying Michael Sam announced his sexuality in order to eventually win a seat on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.  But then I'm not saying he didn't either. 

In addition to notoriety and book deals, I also don't think we should rule out doing it for political gains. Now, I'm not saying Michael Sam announced his sexuality in order to eventually win a seat on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.  But then I'm not saying he didn't either. 

You know what? Mark that down too. Because I study politics for a living and I see this all the time. Clearly this factored in.

You think Applebee's will jump on this? "Applebee's, THE place to bees when you've just found out your son's a 'mo".

I'm not saying this will be their strategy, but surely they've considered it.

Initial negotiations were with Ruby Tuesdays. His agents and publicist had to settle for less money but more mass appeal with Applebee's. 

Initial negotiations were with Ruby Tuesdays. His agents and publicist had to settle for less money but more mass appeal with Applebee's.

Not at least making a call to Chili's was a blunder. I know he said he couldn't finish his Denny's, but passing on unlimited chips and salsa for under three bucks is the type of mistake that could set you back years.

Not at least making a call to Chili's was a blunder. I know he said he couldn't finish his Denny's, but passing on unlimited chips and salsa for under three bucks is the type of mistake that could set you back years.

my sister's boyfriend works at Arby's corporate and I heard they're pissed.

Archived