Rex has learned and grown

Jetfanincanada

Smith played better. That's 100% true. The problem is that he was playing better than a state worse than Sanchez ever was. So even the improvement didn't even amount to anything all that impressive. I pray to Lemmy that he can get his sh*t together, and he'll most certainly get his chance in camp, but the odds of that happening given the season he had last year, it's just a really low probability. The risk/reward isn't there to plan for anything otherwise. This franchise's only priority going forward is QB. Nothing else matters and we don't have more years to **** around wondering if yet another promising young QB has the goods or not.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith played better. That's 100% true. The problem is that he was playing better than a state worse than Sanchez ever was. So even the improvement didn't even amount to anything all that impressive. I pray to Lemmy that he can get his sh*t together, and he'll most certainly get his chance in camp, but the odds of that happening given the season he had last year, it's just a really low probability. The risk/reward isn't there to plan for anything otherwise. This franchise's only priority going forward is QB. Nothing else matters and we don't have more years to **** around wondering if yet another promising young QB has the goods or not.

So what would you do at QB this year?

So what would you do at QB this year?

Sign the best vet and pray Bridgewater falls far enough to the point to where he's worth trading up for. Open competition for all 3. If that doesn't happen then just wait it out till next year. This is a sh*tty offseason to need a new QB in, through free agency or the draft.

Sign the best vet and pray Bridgewater falls far enough to the point to where he's worth trading up for. Open competition for all 3. If that doesn't happen then just wait it out till next year. This is a sh*tty offseason to need a new QB in, through free agency or the draft.

Replace "Bridgewater" with a few dozen names, and this has been true of the Jets for about 45 years.

Watching Rex develop Smith this year was a thing of beauty.

I think he handled Sanchez poorly in that he let him be an immature pimp with no consequences ever, but he had clearly learned and grown.

We will now reap the rewards of a real QB in Smith. The last four games showed so much promise and I can't wait to see Geno break out this year thanks to Rex Ryan. Now let's get him a weapon or two in the draft/free agency/trade and profit!

I actually believe that Rex is learning and growing.  But I disagree that this means he will reap the benefits from Smith.  That would be great, and hopefully that is what happens.  But Rex knows he doesn't have 4 years to sit back and hope another kid QB becomes good.

Really? I thought the #1 defense in the NFL just obliterated the #1 offense in the Super Bowl. Must've been a dream.

a great offense or a great defense can get you to the playoffs but to hoist the trophy the other side of the ball has to be competent. maybe the 2000 ravens are the only exception. seattle's offense is light years ahead of the jets'.

a great offense or a great defense can get you to the playoffs but to hoist the trophy the other side of the ball has to be competent. maybe the 2000 ravens are the only exception. seattle's offense isis light years ahead of the jets'.

So fabricated, seahawks offense is getting so overrated.

Did you not notice the receiving core? Who put up 7 touchdowns COMBINED and I witnessed 4 td's get dropped. How about the line, because honestly when it comes to pass protection nobody but howard could point a finger. Run game didn't show till half way through the season. Secondary had there asses whipped. And all you want is a qb when any qb you get will have the same worthless, offense?

People keep saying this as thought there was any merit to the opinion.  It's as if some have no memory of Sanchez's last 4 starts as a NY Jet in December 2012.  He was no better than a rookie Geno with literally every one of his receivers injured. And it's arguable whether that atrocious December was better or worse than that abomination of a 4-game stretch he had from week 2 through week 5.  The first NFL QB since Stoney Case to complete under 50% of his passes (technically under 47% of his passes) in 4 consecutive games.  Unlike Geno (who did the same thing) Sanchez wasn't a rookie and had at least 2 of his regular receivers on the field (such as they were) while Smith had zero.

Literally 8 out of Sanchez's 15 starts in '12 he completed less than half his passes.  Plus another stinker vs Miami when he tipped the scales at 51.9%.  That was with the experience of 3 full NFL seasons and 4 NFL training camps (ok, Jets training camps) under his belt.

2013 Geno Smith, who sucked, was still superior to 2012 Mark Sanchez. When one considers the circumstances like being a rookie and playing in a pro style offense for the first time in his life and worse receivers and a worse line blocking for him, yeah, sucky rookie Geno was better than even suckier year-4 Sanchez. 

I am going to enjoy the day "The Mistake" gets cut.

People keep saying this as thought there was any merit to the opinion.  It's as if some have no memory of Sanchez's last 4 starts as a NY Jet in December 2012.  He was no better than a rookie Geno with literally every one of his receivers injured. And it's arguable whether that atrocious December was better or worse than that abomination of a 4-game stretch he had from week 2 through week 5.  The first NFL QB since Stoney Case to complete under 50% of his passes (technically under 47% of his passes) in 4 consecutive games.  Unlike Geno (who did the same thing) Sanchez wasn't a rookie and had at least 2 of his regular receivers on the field (such as they were) while Smith had zero.

Literally 8 out of Sanchez's 15 starts in '12 he completed less than half his passes.  Plus another stinker vs Miami when he tipped the scales at 51.9%.  That was with the experience of 3 full NFL seasons and 4 NFL training camps (ok, Jets training camps) under his belt.

2013 Geno Smith, who sucked, was still superior to 2012 Mark Sanchez. When one considers the circumstances like being a rookie and playing in a pro style offense for the first time in his life and worse receivers and a worse line blocking for him, yeah, sucky rookie Geno was better than even suckier year-4 Sanchez. 

I am going to enjoy the day "The Mistake" gets cut.

S0MxvFq.gif

Really? I thought the #1 defense in the NFL just obliterated the #1 offense in the Super Bowl. Must've been a dream.

They won 43-8, they didn't win 10-8.      The Seahawks were the best team in the NFL all year long.  They have a great defense, good special teams, a good offense, a great RB, a good young QB,  a smart and fun HC,  a smart GM, and fans who love that team and are the "12th man."   They are also a team who rarely loses at home, ever, going back a long long time.      

So fabricated, seahawks offense is getting so overrated.

not for nothin but you can be "light years ahead of the jets' offense" and still be pretty bad. there is a chasm between jets' O and "good"

lol

Sanchez sucks something something. Can't wait until it's some other team's fan base blaming every coach, receiver, blocker, and the alignment of the planets as excuses for this clown.

This x 1000! It is crystal clear that all of our offensive problems were Sanchez, and I cannot wait to be done with him, and all of our offensive shortcomings.

This x 1000! It is crystal clear that all of our offensive problems were Sanchez, and I cannot wait to be done with him, and all of our offensive shortcomings.

Bad as Geno was on balance, every game I'd see at least one play where Geno bought time with his feet - or hell, just moved out of the damn way - where Sanchez would just stand there and take the sack. Then of course we'd hear the usual dribble about how he had no time to throw. Yeah, if you stand in that one spot like an easy target you have no time. But if you move out of the way you do. It's as though we have so many fans that are unaware that a QB can move in the pocket (or move out of it).  But when we're on defense and another QB eludes a pass rush then it's "we have no pass rushers" like the opponents that seemed to get to Sanchez so easily even when our OL was the class of the league.

This past year, literally no one on our OL had a good season in pass blocking.  Or if someone can show how that's untrue based on some metric, well that metric escaped me while I was watching games.  The problem was that too often Smith screwed up even with the extra time he bought himself.  And because of that, the team will bring in other options.

I wish there were better options out there. But it isn't every year that there's a Peyton Manning or a Drew Brees to be had.  The cream of the crop is Josh McNown and Michael Vick? Yuck. Well, you take the one that makes you hold your nose the least tightly and also take one in the draft. All signs point to the Jets doing this so it's all I can ask at this point.

Bad as Geno was on balance, every game I'd see at least one play where Geno bought time with his feet - or hell, just moved out of the damn way - where Sanchez would just stand there and take the sack. Then of course we'd hear the usual dribble about how he had no time to throw. Yeah, if you stand in that one spot like an easy target you have no time. But if you move out of the way you do. It's as though we have so many fans that are unaware that a QB can move in the pocket (or move out of it).  But when we're on defense and another QB eludes a pass rush then it's "we have no pass rushers" like the opponents that seemed to get to Sanchez so easily even when our OL was the class of the league.

This past year, literally no one on our OL had a good season in pass blocking.  Or if someone can show how that's untrue based on some metric, well that metric escaped me while I was watching games.  The problem was that too often Smith screwed up even with the extra time he bought himself.  And because of that, the team will bring in other options.

I wish there were better options out there. But it isn't every year that there's a Peyton Manning or a Drew Brees to be had.  The cream of the crop is Josh McNown and Michael Vick? Yuck. Well, you take the one that makes you hold your nose the least tightly and also take one in the draft. All signs point to the Jets doing this so it's all I can ask at this point.

Geno is 1000x better than Sanchez. I think Geno is going to show us that we have a franchise QB this year. If the Jets like a QB I have no problem with them taking one, and then trading them in the offseason after Geno proves all the doubters wrong. I think a lot of the struggles Geno had last year were due to suspect OL play and suspect WR play, all of Sanchez's struggles were due to Sanchez as he had elite talent around him. I don't want Vick, McNown, fine, they both stink but I don't want Vick, I think he is Sanchez bad.

Geno is 1000x better than Sanchez. I think Geno is going to show us that we have a franchise QB this year. If the Jets like a QB I have no problem with them taking one, and then trading them in the offseason after Geno proves all the doubters wrong. I think a lot of the struggles Geno had last year were due to suspect OL play and suspect WR play, all of Sanchez's struggles were due to Sanchez as he had elite talent around him. I don't want Vick, McNown, fine, they both stink but I don't want Vick, I think he is Sanchez bad.

I would love it if Geno would show what you think he's going to. He didn't look like a franchise QB last year, that's for sure. In the meantime, there are a lot of other players on the team and a lot of coaches and fans putting in a lot of time. It isn't all going to be for the sole purpose of getting Geno Smith his reps to see if he's turned a corner yet.  Been there done that with his predecessor.

Vick I could not and would not root for. Not for 1 series. Not for a winning TD pass to happen as a game is closing out. I think he's better than Sanchez, but I don't care.

I would love it if Geno would show what you think he's going to. He didn't look like a franchise QB last year, that's for sure. In the meantime, there are a lot of other players on the team and a lot of coaches and fans putting in a lot of time. It isn't all going to be for the sole purpose of getting Geno Smith his reps to see if he's turned a corner yet.  Been there done that with his predecessor.

Vick I could not and would not root for. Not for 1 series. Not for a winning TD pass to happen as a game is closing out. I think he's better than Sanchez, but I don't care.

Im tellin u, Geno is going to be the man this year. You heard it here first. If he is, you can come to Canada and have some good Canadian beer with me.

Archived