60 MPH..... Logan Thomas

eboozer

Now if he could only learn to put it where he needs to.

Developmental player in the 7th or UDFA?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Logan Thomas threw 60 mph at the Combine
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2014, 7:22 AM EST
loganthomas.jpg?w=250AP
When Colin Kaepernick was a relatively unknown prospect coming out of Nevada, he raised some eyebrows at the Combine by throwing a football at 59 mph during on-field drills. That was the fastest of any quarterback that year and believed to be the fastest since the Combine started using a radar gun to track quarterbacks.
But now someone has thrown faster: Logan Thomas, the former Virginia Tech quarterback, reached 60 mph according to Ourlads.com.
Thomas is the first player to reach 60 mph at the Combine, but that doesn’t necessarily mean much: Other than Kaepernick, the list of quarterbacks with the fastest fastballs at the Combine is mostly a list of players who have never amounted to anything in the NFL. Tyler Bray, Zac Dysert, Brandon Weeden and Kirk Cousins are the four other quarterbacks to hit 59 mph since 2008, and the quarterbacks to hit 58 mph are John Parker Wilson, Mike Reilly, Drew Willy, Ryan Mallett and Austin Davis. How many of those guys would you want quarterbacking your team?
So while Thomas’s 60 mph throw is another data point for a guy who had a phenomenal Combine by any measure, what will determine if he can succeed as an NFL quarterback is whether he can throw with accuracy, not velocity.

I would definitely draft him late in the draft as a developmental player........at tight end.  He is not an NFL QB, though.

Is Accuracy a thing that can be developed? I think it can... footwork and throwing motion. If we are unable to get a QB in the draft, I'd have no problem taking a flier on this kid.

He's probably closer to being developed as a QB than he is a TE, which he's never played.

Is Accuracy a thing that can be developed? I think it can... footwork and throwing motion. If we are unable to get a QB in the draft, I'd have no problem taking a flier on this kid.

He's probably closer to being developed as a QB than he is a TE, which he's never played.

I thought someone on this forum said that he actually is a converted TE. Maybe from HS?

Dude would make a great TE, QB, no way.

4.61 SEC Top Performer

35.5 INCH Top Performer

118.0 INCH Top Performer

7.05 SEC Top Performer

4.18 SEC Top Performer

Blue Star = Top Performer

6'6"
Height

34 1/4"
Arm Length

248LBS.
Weight

10 7/8"
Hands

Overview

Started in every games in final three seasons. 2013: Started in all 13 games. 2012: Started in all 13 games. Set school's single-season record for total offense with 3,500 yards. Led the team in rushing with 524 yards. 2011: Second-team All-ACC selection. Started in all 14 games. His 11 rushing touchdowns broke single-season school record for a quarterback set by Bruce Arians in 1974. 2010: Played in seven games as a backup quarterback and wide receiver. 2009: Redshirted. High school: Rated by many scouting services as the top tight end in the nation out of high school.

Analysis

Strengths Outstanding size, stature and strength -- towers over the line, has natural throwing lanes from the pocket and is able to make plays in the grasp. Athletic -- can climb the pocket, escape and run for the sticks. Load to bring down. Generates easy velocity with a quick, compact release and can make all the throws. Is very competitive and will sell out to make a play. Has upside. Tough and durable -- started 40 consecutive games. Team captain and vocal leader.

Weaknesses Plateaued as a sophomore. Uneven performance. Inconsistent footwork and mechanics. Shoddy ball placement. Still developing touch and deep-ball accuracy. Needs to quicken his eyes and expand his field vision. Needs to learn to protect himself -- is not elusive and represents a big target to defenders. Struggled in big games, including a nightmare performance against Alabama. Too careless with the football -- 39 INTs and 23 fumbles as a starter. Career 50-percent passer on third down.

Bottom Line Unrefined, strong-armed, sturdy pocket passer who looks the part and has intriguing, raw arm talent, though he is a converted tight end whose inexperience showed throughout a yo-yo career in Blacksburg. Has definite developmental value given his starter-caliber skill set and intangible makeup. Would benefit from coaching continuity, more specifically a QB coach capable of refining his crude talent.

I am a 15 min drive from Lane stadium and I got too 3-4 Hokie games a year, I want no part of this kid on the Jets. He is wildly inaccurate and turns the ball over all the time, if you think Geno and Mark dove you nuts with int and fumbles this kid will put in you pilgrim state.   

The only kid I want from Tech this year is Kyle Fuller... he so reminds me of Brandon Flowers and his Younger Brother Kendall who started at the other CB sport as a true freshman is even better 

Bottom line Thomas is no Tyrod Taylor, and certainly no Cam Newton. 

I am a 15 min drive from Lane stadium and I got too 3-4 Hokie games a year, I want no part of this kid on the Jets. He is wildly inaccurate and turns the ball over all the time, if you think Geno and Mark dove you nuts with int and fumbles this kid will put in you pilgrim state.   

The only kid I want from Tech this year is Kyle Fuller... he so reminds me of Brandon Flowers and his Younger Brother Kendall who started at the other CB sport as a true freshman is even better 

Bottom line Thomas is no Tyrod Taylor, and certainly no Cam Newton. 

Thank you. a reasonable synopsis based on reality, rather than the dude throws like Nolan Ryan.

Just out of curiosity though, do you really think he could convert to TE in the NFL?

Thank you. a reasonable synopsis based on reality, rather than the dude throws like Nolan Ryan.

Just out of curiosity though, do you really think he could convert to TE in the NFL?

Maybe, he is a great athlete, he went Brookville HS  here in VA not only was he great HS QB but he was a 2 way player and was a very solid cornerback. He was also all state in track. I don't know if that skill set will translate into him being a NFL TE. He did play  some wideout in HS but Frank Beemer brought him in to play H back at Tech not QB. I dont even think he got any offers from D1 schools to play QB just as a H back. Even back then his QB play was suspect at best.     

Maybe, he is a great athlete, he went Brookville HS  here in VA not only was he great HS QB but he was a 2 way player and was a very solid cornerback. He was all state in track. I don't know if that skill set will translate into him being a NFL TE. He did play so some wideout in HS and Frank Beemer him in to play H back at Tech. I dont even think he got any offers from D1 schools to play QB just as a H back. Even back then his QB play was suspect at best.     

If he refuses to change positions, he will be Tim Tebow II, which means he probably joins the Jets.woohoo.

We don't have the resources to develop Logan Thomas.  I would rather have three coaches and their assistants watching Geno. 

You want a project?  Draft Mettenberger in the 3rd or 4th, and make him throw a football without doing that weird foot thingie. 

Archived