Mo Wilk

Ghost

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one more for the fin fan:

Last year the Jets had 8 new starters on defense, and no-one to catch, throw or run the ball. AND STILL BEAT THE FINS WITH THEIR WHOLE SEASON ON THE LINE. I think our FA's from last year and our draft did a pretty good job, how did yours turn-out?

I never questioned the jets draft from 13. I'm questioning their free agency approach. And I already said REX is a great coach. He absolutely proved it getting that team with a sh*t offense to 8 wins.

I never questioned the jets draft from 13. I'm questioning their free agency approach. And I already said REX is a great coach. He absolutely proved it getting that team with a sh*t offense to 8 wins.

You need to stop now before you get Shane involved with that kind of talk!!

Are their any jet fan's on here that are not happy sitting around watching top tier free agents sign everywhere except New york? Or is everyone happy with the Jet's approach to free agency the last two years.

I'd like to see what they actually do in FA before forming that opinion.  It hasnt even been 24 hours you tard.

What if the Jets land Decker, Revis and Ware...are you still talking?  NO.  So, STFU and think back on your last game of the season, its a fond memory around here.

no. I think he got bored tearing you guys up. he is making realistic points,imo

I guess u weren't paying attention then. His only realistic point was that we haven't signed anyone yet, and I don't see that as a problem.

I'd like to see what they actually do in FA before forming that opinion.  It hasnt even been 24 hours you tard.

What if the Jets land Decker, Revis and Ware...are you still talking?  NO.  So, STFU and think back on your last game of the season, its a fond memory around here.

A combination of those 3 would be the only reason for keeping your hands in your pockets this long with 40mil available. I doubt it happens though.

Copied from another thread,Idzik's philosophy:

Get it now phagfan?

1.John Idzik is on-record stating that he view free agency as a means of plugging holes, enabling him to take a best player available approach to the draft - rather than forcing him to draft for need

2.He has shown that when he does use free agency, he is only looking to plug holes for 1-2 seasons. Meaning that the way he is spreading money out in the FA contracts, he is front-loading them so that he can cut guys when they are ready to be replaced by his draft picks after a year or two. Meaning he'll continue to keep the salary cap healthy.

3.He has shown a clear understanding that teams overpay in the first wave of FA, and despite there being some talented players that align to our needs, the contractual demands they will have do not align with his philosophy for long-term building and success.

Copied from another thread,Idzik's philosophy:

Get it now phagfan?

1.John Idzik is on-record stating that he view free agency as a means of plugging holes, enabling him to take a best player available approach to the draft - rather than forcing him to draft for need

2.He has shown that when he does use free agency, he is only looking to plug holes for 1-2 seasons. Meaning that the way he is spreading money out in the FA contracts, he is front-loading them so that he can cut guys when they are ready to be replaced by his draft picks after a year or two. Meaning he'll continue to keep the salary cap healthy.

3.He has shown a clear understanding that teams overpay in the first wave of FA, and despite there being some talented players that align to our needs, the contractual demands they will have do not align with his philosophy for long-term building and success.

So he basically is shopping in the $5 Blu-ray bin and will draft all his good long term players. Got it. About keeping the salary cap healthy. You do realize it's back to back years the Dolphins are top 5 in available cap space. There are ways to manage the cap and sign top tier Free Agents. 

So he basically is shopping in the $5 Blu-ray bin and will draft all his good long term players. Got it. About keeping the salary cap healthy. You do realize it's back to back years the Dolphins are top 5 in available cap space. There are ways to manage the cap and sign top tier Free Agents.

I know, how did that translate to wins and losses? and at THE END of last season the fins STILL had $8mill available that Bozo the owner didn't want to

spend.

A combination of those 3 would be the only reason for keeping your hands in your pockets this long with 40mil available. I doubt it happens though.

I'd actually be pretty bent if he spent all $40M on just three players. The Jets, despite knocking the fish out of the playoffs last year, have holes all over the roster. They need a couple starting OL, a quality QB, WRs, a CB, S, a RB who can catch, a pass rushing OLB. If they land one of those top guys (Decker?), and then pick up a bunch of mid-range guys after most of the league's money has dried up, I'll be pretty pleased.

And then still finish behind the Jets in the standings?

I appreciate you coming around. Free agency is going slow around here, but it's nice to be reminded of our lesser sister.

And make the playoffs once in 13 years, get serious

I grabbed some lunch. I'm back ;)

You made some good points, but your entire premise is based on non-action within the first day of free agency opening.  Idzik comes from a front office notorious for not having day-1 signings, and it worked pretty well for them.  A lot of fans had this notion that we would just throw bags of money to x-position, y-position, and z-position because that is what we are used to.  We have been conditioned to treat free agency like it's Christmas morning and we're  all expecting the most expensive new toy on the market.  But the truth is we don't know what Idzik's plan is, or how to be content with being a patient decisive franchise.  Most fans disagreed with signing a DL with the #13 pick in the draft last year, and we see how that turned out.  Last year, this man took pennies to build our roster back up to .500 after trading away our most talented player.  He did it with a rookie at QB, and with severely lacking offensive weapons.  We don't know what he will do this year with financial flexibility and options, because it has only been 22 hours of the new season.

As it stands, our greatest positional need is at WR.  Today, the #1 rated WR free agent is visiting our facitilities.  Austin Howard (ranked #7 )) has left town, but we already have a replacement in Breno Giacomini (ranked #4) en route for a visit.   

We've been connected to a possible reunion with Revis (#1 rated CB), and have a roster full of young unknowns that can potentially emerge as starters (Ben Ijalana, Will Campbell, Oday Oboushi, Zach Sudfeld, even Josh Bush).

So while you say we are sifting through bargain bins, the truth is we don't know what we're doing.  But overpaying for players got us in the predicament we were in last year, and looks to be the direction you're heading. 

Paying Mike Wallace $50M, Brandon Albert $46M, Brian 'freaking' Hartline $30M, Trading up to draft a player to put him on the trade block?

I'd actually be pretty bent if he spent all $40M on just three players. The Jets, despite knocking the fish out of the playoffs last year, have holes all over the roster. They need a couple starting OL, a quality QB, WRs, a CB, S, a RB who can catch, a pass rushing OLB. If they land one of those top guys (Decker?), and then pick up a bunch of mid-range guys after most of the league's money has dried up, I'll be pretty pleased.

And then still finish behind the Jets in the standings?

I appreciate you coming around. Free agency is going slow around here, but it's nice to be reminded of our lesser sister.

I must say all the jabs are pretty funny but it's getting redundant responding to the "How did Free Agency work for ya last year!" A majority of money spent went to the passing game. It was much improved. I would have love to see what Keller could've provided but injuries happen. Unfortunately we had a little bullying issue last year. Not sure if you guys heard of it? They actually hired this guy Ted Wells to interview and investigate or locker room. It also caused us to lose 3 starting offensive lineman. Call me crazy, but I think it may have had an effect on the team.

I must say all the jabs are pretty funny but it's getting redundant responding to the "How did Free Agency work for ya last year!" A majority of money spent went to the passing game. It was much improved. I would have love to see what Keller could've provided but injuries happen. Unfortunately we had a little bullying issue last year. Not sure if you guys heard of it? They actually hired this guy Ted Wells to interview and investigate or locker room. It also caused us to lose 3 starting offensive lineman. Call me crazy, but I think it may have had an effect on the team.

Um, not "how did FA work out for the Dolphins last year." It's, "How has FA worked out for the Dolphins over the last two decades". Just to clarify

It also caused us to lose 3 starting offensive lineman. Call me crazy, but I think it may have had an effect on the team. <-- it definitely did, Tannehill took a beating. That affects your passing game. 

Martin, Richie, who was the third?

You made some good points, but your entire premise is based on non-action within the first day of free agency opening.  Idzik comes from a front office notorious for not having day-1 signings, and it worked pretty well for them.  A lot of fans had this notion that we would just throw bags of money to x-position, y-position, and z-position because that is what we are used to.  We have been conditioned to treat free agency like it's Christmas morning and we're  all expecting the most expensive new toy on the market.  But the truth is we don't know what Idzik's plan is, or how to be content with being a patient decisive franchise.  Most fans disagreed with signing a DL with the #13 pick in the draft last year, and we see how that turned out.  Last year, this man took pennies to build our roster back up to .500 after trading away our most talented player.  He did it with a rookie at QB, and with severely lacking offensive weapons.  We don't know what he will do this year with financial flexibility and options, because it has only been 22 hours of the new season.

As it stands, our greatest positional need is at WR.  Today, the #1 rated WR free agent is visiting our facitilities.  Austin Howard (ranked #7 )) has left town, but we already have a replacement in Breno Giacomini (ranked #4) en route for a visit.   

We've been connected to a possible reunion with Revis (#1 rated CB), and have a roster full of young unknowns that can potentially emerge as starters (Ben Ijalana, Will Campbell, Oday Oboushi, Zach Sudfeld, even Josh Bush).

So while you say we are sifting through bargain bins, the truth is we don't know what we're doing.  But overpaying for players got us in the predicament we were in last year, and looks to be the direction you're heading. 

Paying Mike Wallace $50M, Brandon Albert $46M, Brian 'freaking' Hartline $30M, Trading up to draft a player to put him on the trade block?

All that statement in bold does is attest to the outstanding job Rex did with a sub par roster. And as it stand right now the Jets Roster is worse off than it was last year. Good options at Tackle and CB are becoming fewer and fewer. It just seems odd that a team with 40 million in cap is not aggresiveley trying to sure up some of their deficiencies.

All that statement in bold does is attest to the outstanding job Rex did with a sub par roster. And as it stand right now the Jets Roster is worse off than it was last year. Good options at Tackle and CB are becoming fewer and fewer. It just seems odd that a team with 40 million in cap is not aggresiveley trying to sure up some of their deficiencies.

Which options at RIGHT tackle have we missed out on?  All reports are that we were in heavy negotiations with Austin Howard, and that he chose to move on.  Idzik refused to budge on his valuation of the player's worth.  Can't knock us for not being aggresive, it was a position we didn't need filled until yesterday afternoon--after which we immediately placed calls to Zach Strief and got Breno Giomacini on a plane (both of whom grade out better than Howard). 

As for CB, yes, they flew off the shelves faster than expected...to everyone's surprise.  

However, we left the light on for Cromartie, have expressed interest in Revis,  Munnerlynn, and I have a sneaking suspicion that we could lure Brandon Browner here to play press man coverage in week-5 and be in fine shape. We have adequate depth to survive the first quarter of the season if we whiff on Revis, and the total team will be better by not over-paying for players in order to satiate the fans, and keep the "sky from falling".    

Nope...pretty sure your team just sucks.

Archived