So, the Dolphins are doing well

RutgersJetFan

Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill: Joe Philbin created a 'distraction'
Third-year QB said he wishes coach would have handled situation differently
September 24, 2014|By Chris Perkins, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

DAVIE — — Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill said Wednesday that coach Joe Philbin caused a stir and distraction in the locker room by not publicly naming him the starter for Sunday's game in London.

Tannehill, who said he will start, seemed irritated but generally fine with the way things played out. "Obviously, it doesn't feel good," he said of having his starting status publicly questioned.

"It creates a bunch of stir and a bunch of distraction in the locker room, mostly from the outside coming in, and guys having to deal with the distraction of it. So it's not a good feeling, but he's been clear with me and I know where I stand."

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

Tannehill is 29th in the NFL in passer rating (74.1) and also ranks 29th at 56.5 percent of passes completed. He's dead last in the league in yards per attempt (5.03), which is the statistic offensive coordinator Bill Lazor values most.

The third-year quarterback has a career record of 16-19, and despite having a good training camp and preseason, he seems to have regressed handling Lazor's offense so far in the regular season. Inaccurate passes and an inability to throw deep are two of his biggest problems.

On Monday, a day after another poor performance by Tannehill in a 34-15 loss to Kansas City, Philbin was asked four times if Tannehill were still the starter and each time refused to give a definitive answer.

Philbin was questioned by the media for refusing to name Tannehill the starter for the Oakland game. He didn't seem to mind. "I think that's totally fair," Philbin said of the criticism. "I think everybody is entitled to their opinion. They certainly can feel free to express it, and ... at the end of the day, I have to go to sleep and put my head on the pillow and do what I think is the right thing. I have no issues with any of that."

Tannehill has said he doesn't generally watch the news or read publications during the season. Asked how he became aware his starting job might be in jeopardy, he said he got lots of text messages.

"I think I received some texts from basically anyone I've ever known offering their support, which is a good thing, I guess," Tannehill said.

"And then coach came to me and was clear, and he told me what he said and why he said it. But he was clear with me on my standing and my position in the game. He has his reasons, as does everyone."

Tannehill said he asked Philbin why he handled the situation they he way he did, not naming him as the starter.

"He told me why, and I asked him what his reason was," Tannehill said.

So what was the reason?

"You're going to have to get that from him," Tannehill said.

Backup quarterback Matt Moore, speaking to reporters crowded around his locker, said he found the situation a bit of a distraction.

pixel.gif

"Obviously, I did get a couple of text messages from friends and everybody who reads things and it kind of caught me off guard," Moore said.

A few other players — defensive end Jared Odrick, defensive tackle/end Derrick Shelby and linebacker Jonathan Freeny — said the quarterback situation wasn't a distraction.

However, when asked if he wishes Philbin would have handled the situation differently, Tannehill was candid.

"Honestly, yes," he said. "Does it feel good to deal with all the distractions that have been created because of the situation? No. That's life. You face distractions, you face adversity in life and have to be able to handle it.

"You have to be able to fight through it and become a better man, become a better player because of it. So here we are, and we're getting ready to play."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-09-24/sports/fl-dolphins-0925-20140924_1_joe-philbin-distraction-text-messages

Wow..a circus in Minny, a circus in Balt, a circus in Miami, a circus in San Fran....while we have probs they have mega probs...

Yet the word circus has not been mentioned anywhere in any media outlet in reference to those teams.  Funny how that works.  

Archived