Of all the talented players Rex has destroyed and/or wasted

AFJF

Okay, I read the rest of it. It seems that people who still defend Rex have this flaw in how their brain processes logic... they say, "Rex has proven he can be successful with a decent roster", and they've accepted this as a truth. Therefore, it is either impossible or implausible for them to admit that a head coach is responsible for more than just motivating a team to wins, because that would mean admitting that part of the job NOT being done well by Rex is informing and shaping the roster alongside the GM. 

In this Rex isn't at fault world, there seems to be this devotion to compartmentalized responsibilities. I have to assume that the people making these arguments would probably fail in a collaborative industry / work place. This void in understanding cause and effect, I don't get it. If Rex asks for Coples, and Tanny picks him, and then Coples fails... Rex shares in the blame, as does Tanny and Coples. How can anyone reasonably argue anything other than this? When players / teams suck, there's usually a LOT of people responsible for it, not just one. The parts around Rex have changed in efforts to remove part of the suck, but he results keep getting worse. This isn't an opinion, this is logic, Rex is a major part of the problem. 

I would also add that Rex hasn't proven he can be good with a good roster. He got carried by a bunch of really good veteran players in his first 2 years, but he was making the same coaching mistakes then that he does now, and when the rubber met the road his scheme got eaten alive then the way it does now too. 

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I stopped reading as soon as you, again, tried to use spin rather than facts to make Rex unaccountable for player selection. In my response, I cited that Rex not only influenced guys Tanny picked in the draft, but also guys he signed in FA and traded for. This isn't boxed in just to the "Rex pick" that Tanny gave him each draft. This is about a coach saying "this is what I need to succeed, which influences the selections and way the roster is built". To say Rex is only responsible for the Boyd's and John Connor's is ridiculous.

Look at how many defensive players we've taken in the first round since Rex has been here, with Tanny and Idzik both.

Let's go through the history of our drafts with Rex... first off, the very first selection: Sanchez. The story goes, Woody, Tanny and Rex went to see his pro-day and Rex declared "this is my guy". Sure, Tanny swung the trade but any unbiased, reasonable person can take from this that Rex had HUGE sway over that pick.

Revis. Do we really think Tanny picked Revis in a vacuum? Coples. Rex promised the guy we'd take him if he was there. This kind of thing creates a dynamic where the GM has to trump the beloved coach's "word". That pick is all Rex. Holmes, Rex said he signed off on it. Plaxico, Rex said go get him. Mason, Rex swore by this guy. 

So, not only were we giving Rex and uncontested selection late in drafts, which it appears we're still doing, but he had major influence over the re-architecture of this team after the Mangini squad dissipated. This isn't narrative, this is an account of things that happened, and Rex confirming for us the role he had in it. 

The biggest problem this team has had under Rex's regime is that nobody stood up to him on these roster decisions/requests, which puts the GM's (both of them) at fault, but it doesn't remove the fault from Rex. I'm embarrassed for people who can't see this for what it is.

Never said Rex didn't influence picks.  I acknowledged the fact that he, and every other HC in the NFL should have some influence.  If they're gonna' coach the team, they should be throwing in their .02.  I stated the fact that Tanny is on record as saying he was responsible for all other picks.  I'm not sure how that's spin, but obviously in these emotional debates, some of  us see/hear what we want instead of what's being said.

On the Sanchez pick, if Tanny, Woody and Rex all loved him, why would there be any sway?  I don't know who lobbied for what as I wasn't there.  As I've said in the past, I'm more curious as to who let all of his receivers walk out the door.  That's what was more detrimental to the team than anything.  Sanchez wasn't great, but he was leaps and bounds better than Geno ever was.

Revis was a consensus first rounder.  Is it that far of a stretch to suggest that perhaps multiple people in the room liked him?  Rex promised Coples they'd pick him.  That doesn't mean a whole lot.  I've heard several stories throughout the years who have said such and such team made such and such promise.  Sometimes they keep them, sometimes they don't.  If Coples was being used right, he'd be a hell of a player IMO.  That's 100% on Rex.

I won't do the revisionist history thing on Holmes.  I was ecstatic when they got him for such a low price.  Like him or not, he showed all the signs of being a game breaker before the Jets dealt for him.  The deal didn't work out because he was a bigger diva than anyone could have imagined.  Any HC in need of offensive playmakers is going to sign off on getting a player of Holmes' ability for a mid/low round pick. 

Regardless, GM's job to get input from staff and make decisions based on those.  Maybe a better football man would have thanked Rex for  his input and said no.

Of course Rex swore by Mason.  I mentioned earlier that he always sticks up for his guys which makes him sound like an idiot because some of these guys just aren't that good but Rex talks them up to raise expectations.  I too wish he would be more like BB when talking about his own guys.  Let their play speak for itself.

I like him, you don't. Now let's see if we can find a thread that didn't get hijacked like this one, and discuss Jets football.

Never said Rex didn't influence picks.  I acknowledged the fact that he, and every other HC in the NFL should have some influence.  If they're gonna' coach the team, they should be throwing in their .02.  I stated the fact that Tanny is on record as saying he was responsible for all other picks.  I'm not sure how that's spin, but obviously in these emotional debates, some of  us see/hear what we want instead of what's being said.

On the Sanchez pick, if Tanny, Woody and Rex all loved him, why would there be any sway?  I don't know who lobbied for what as I wasn't there.  As I've said in the past, I'm more curious as to who let all of his receivers walk out the door.  That's what was more detrimental to the team than anything.  Sanchez wasn't great, but he was leaps and bounds better than Geno ever was.

Revis was a consensus first rounder.  Is it that far of a stretch to suggest that perhaps multiple people in the room liked him?  Rex promised Coples they'd pick him.  That doesn't mean a whole lot.  I've heard several stories throughout the years who have said such and such team made such and such promise.  Sometimes they keep them, sometimes they don't.  If Coples was being used right, he'd be a hell of a player IMO.  That's 100% on Rex.

I won't do the revisionist history thing on Holmes.  I was ecstatic when they got him for such a low price.  Like him or not, he showed all the signs of being a game breaker before the Jets dealt for him.  The deal didn't work out because he was a bigger diva than anyone could have imagined.  Any HC in need of offensive playmakers is going to sign off on getting a player of Holmes' ability for a mid/low round pick. 

Regardless, GM's job to get input from staff and make decisions based on those.  Maybe a better football man would have thanked Rex for  his input and said no.

Of course Rex swore by Mason.  I mentioned earlier that he always sticks up for his guys which makes him sound like an idiot because some of these guys just aren't that good but Rex talks them up to raise expectations.  I too wish he would be more like BB when talking about his own guys.  Let their play speak for itself.

I like him, you don't. Now let's see if we can find a thread that didn't get hijacked like this one, and discuss Jets football.

Rex and Tanny are on record saying that Rex dubbed Sanchez as "his guy" after the pro-day. You didn't need to be there to understand who had sway. Sanchez should have been better than Geno, he was picked in the top 10, Geno was a second rounder. If you want to compare Geno to a past QB, compare him to Kellen Clemens, because that is the last 2nd round QB we took.

How is this thread hi-jacked? It is about Rex and players and responsibility for who sucks, and that's what we're discussing. Is this what you do when your points are exposed for biased nonsense? You claim hi-jack? Gimme a break.

I happen to really like Rex, a lot... but I love the Jets. Rex is a detriment to them. Plain and simple.

Rex and Tanny are on record saying that Rex dubbed Sanchez as "his guy" after the pro-day. You didn't need to be there to understand who had sway. Sanchez should have been better than Geno, he was picked in the top 10, Geno was a second rounder. If you want to compare Geno to a past QB, compare him to Kellen Clemens, because that is the last 2nd round QB we took.

How is this thread hi-jacked? It is about Rex and players and responsibility for who sucks, and that's what we're discussing. Is this what you do when your points are exposed for biased nonsense? You claim hi-jack? Gimme a break.

I happen to really like Rex, a lot... but I love the Jets. Rex is a detriment to them. Plain and simple.

The thread was a question about which players Rex is holding back the most and will reap the rewards of his departure.  It wasn't about Rex, his coaching style, who he trades for or signs.  It turned in to that because it's what people are doing in every single thread on the board.  It was a simple question.  What current players will become legitimate NFL players as a result of Rex leaving?  Exactly one person has made an attempt to answer that question by saying Rex has held back Mo Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson.  Tom also chimed in but I think he may have been joking when he said every player on the roster is going to be great when Rex leaves.  The thread is absolutely hijacked, and as a result I tried to move on politely, but then my points are biased nonsense, because Rex has never performed well as a head coach at any time during his tenure.  My claims that he has done well when he had the horses are baseless.  Despite the fact that I disagree with your opinion, I'll go ahead and respect it.

Lol, Rex destroyed players. Please enlighten me how he accomplished this? Thx

By failing to develop them.  That's why I'm asking the question.  Which player has suffered the most as a result of Rex running the show?  Once he is gone, which draft pick will break out and open some eyes?

By failing to develop them. That's why I'm asking the question. Which player has suffered the most as a result of Rex running the show? Once he is gone, which draft pick will break out and open some eyes?

OK so please give me some players that moved on and became a solid player?

OK so please give me some players that moved on and became a solid player?

That's a completely different question and I can't think of any to be honest.  Somebody told me Cro is playing well but I haven't watched any Arizona games and I know he got beat for 200ish yards against the Broncos which is crazy since the Jets as a team only gave up something like 237 against him.  Actually, he wouldn't count though since he wasn't a young player who Rex had to develop.  Good question.

Which players do you think will benefit from him leaving?  So far we have one vote for Mo Wilkerson and one vote for Sheldon Richardson as the players who will improve their performance once Rex leaves. 

That's a completely different question and I can't think of any to be honest. Somebody told me Cro is playing well but I haven't watched any Arizona games and I know he got beat for 200ish yards against the Broncos which is crazy since the Jets as a team only gave up something like 237 against him.

Which players do you think will benefit from him leaving? So far we have one vote for Mo Wilkerson and one vote for Sheldon Richardson as the players who will improve their performance once Rex leaves.

Cro was a JI decision...

I'm assuming the players you mentioned would improve based on the change of DL alignment but the Jets do play 4-3 fronts so this assumption doesn't hold much water.

Again, if these underachieving players went on to have better production elsewhere I could see an argument....

Cro was a JI decision...

I'm assuming the players you mentioned would improve based on the change of DL alignment but the Jets do play 4-3 fronts so this assumption this hold much water.

Again, if these underachieving players went on to have better production elsewhere I could see an argument....

Just curious.  Lots of talk about Rex's inability to coach up young players so I was wondering which players the board feels are better than what Rex has gotten out of them.  I started by asking which players would be all-time greats, but I've watered it down to who will benefit most from his departure or who will develop the most.  Anything along those lines.  Just curious to get the predictions now, rather than "oh, I knew Rex was  holding him back" when somebody turns in to a true player.  Anyone can say "I knew that was going to happen" after it  happens. 

Mo and Sheldon weren't my picks by the way.  I think they benefit from Rex and Dunbar being present.  To each his own though.

Just curious. Lots of talk about Rex's inability to coach up young players so I was wondering which players the board feels are better than what Rex has gotten out of them. I started by asking which players would be all-time greats, but I've watered it down to who will benefit most from his departure or who will develop the most. Anything along those lines. Just curious to get the predictions now, rather than "oh, I knew Rex was holding him back" when somebody turns in to a true player. Anyone can say "I knew that was going to happen" after it happens.

Mo and Sheldon weren't my picks by the way. I think they benefit from Rex and Dunbar being present. To each his own though.

Its a very good question but difficult to answer. Is Coples playing out of position? Possibly but there is no evidence yet.

Remember Farrior? He went to Pittsburgh and had a productive career even though he was still a young player with the Jets. Would he have improved if he stayed? That's an unknown..

The thread was a question about which players Rex is holding back the most and will reap the rewards of his departure.  It wasn't about Rex, his coaching style, who he trades for or signs.  It turned in to that because it's what people are doing in every single thread on the board.  It was a simple question.  What current players will become legitimate NFL players as a result of Rex leaving?  Exactly one person has made an attempt to answer that question by saying Rex has held back Mo Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson.  Tom also chimed in but I think he may have been joking when he said every player on the roster is going to be great when Rex leaves.  The thread is absolutely hijacked, and as a result I tried to move on politely, but then my points are biased nonsense, because Rex has never performed well as a head coach at any time during his tenure.  My claims that he has done well when he had the horses are baseless.  Despite the fact that I disagree with your opinion, I'll go ahead and respect it.

It turned into that because the thread was started on the premise of a loaded question. That slight shift in subject is the obvious other half of the conversation about Rex and the talent on this team, the half people that support Rex don't want to have.

To answer the initial question, Rex has held back Sanchez. Mark's most fluid, natural looking game was his first game. After he started making mistakes as a rookie, Rex's QB-hating nature as a defensive coach manifested in a lack of confidence and trust in the kid. They tried to hide him, rather than let him take his lumps. Frankly, as an inexperienced college QB he should have sat for a year behind a veteran. He further held him back by babying him. Red, yellow, green.

He also held back Kerry Rhodes. I wasn't a fan of Rhodes, but he was a capable safety, and Rex ran him out of here I suspect because he was light in the loafers. He used a bunch of other euphemisms for it in his stupid book, but the homophobic undertone and singling out was like no other criticism he's ever made of a player... ever. 

Cotchery was ran out of town, and as we saw last year as a Steeler, he was perfectly capable of contributing still. Rex insisted on replacing him with turds, that he signed off on like Holmes, Mason and Plaxico. Cothcery would probably still be out-contributing those bums if he were still a Jet.

Danny Woodhead. 

Oday Aboushi. He's been better than Winters, and yet Rex didn't promote him to starter. 

Every single player that has lined up in the wildcat. Seriously, stupid formation, shouldn't be part of the playbook, but it has been insisted upon by Rex with every OC we've had for him.

Decker. Rex should have benched Geno weeks ago, as such, Decker would have stat'ed better this year. In addition, Rex rushed him back from injury. Same goes for Milliner, he was brought back from injury too soon this year, I said so at the time.

Coples. Rex has moved him from DL to LB, can't find a place for him, didn't have a plan for him... promised him he'd draft him.

Dwight Lowery. Got burned in Rex's D, went to Jags and has been better as a Safety.

I don't have the energy to keep at this... if you are trolling, you win.

It turned into that because the thread was started on the premise of a loaded question. That slight shift in subject is the obvious other half of the conversation about Rex and the talent on this team, the half people that support Rex don't want to have.

To answer the initial question, Rex has held back Sanchez. Mark's most fluid, natural looking game was his first game. After he started making mistakes as a rookie, Rex's QB-hating nature as a defensive coach manifested in a lack of confidence and trust in the kid. They tried to hide him, rather than let him take his lumps. Frankly, as an inexperienced college QB he should have sat for a year behind a veteran. He further held him back by babying him. Red, yellow, green.

He also held back Kerry Rhodes. I wasn't a fan of Rhodes, but he was a capable safety, and Rex ran him out of here I suspect because he was light in the loafers. He used a bunch of other euphemisms for it in his stupid book, but the homophobic undertone and singling out was like no other criticism he's ever made of a player... ever.

Cotchery was ran out of town, and as we saw last year as a Steeler, he was perfectly capable of contributing still. Rex insisted on replacing him with turds, that he signed off on like Holmes, Mason and Plaxico. Cothcery would probably still be out-contributing those bums if he were still a Jet.

Danny Woodhead.

Oday Aboushi. He's been better than Winters, and yet Rex didn't promote him to starter.

Every single player that has lined up in the wildcat. Seriously, stupid formation, shouldn't be part of the playbook, but it has been insisted upon by Rex with every OC we've had for him.

Decker. Rex should have benched Geno weeks ago, as such, Decker would have stat'ed better this year. In addition, Rex rushed him back from injury. Same goes for Milliner, he was brought back from injury too soon this year, I said so at the time.

Coples. Rex has moved him from DL to LB, can't find a place for him, didn't have a plan for him... promised him he'd draft him.

Dwight Lowery. Got burned in Rex's D, went to Jags and has been better as a Safety.

Again including Sanchez in this removes credibility of your argument.

Danny Woodhead. 

It was a legitimate question that I asked based on the fact that so many people have told me that Rex cannot develop young players.  I took it upon myself to look back at the draft picks he inherited from Mangini, and that were made by  his previous GMs.   None of them jump out at me as guys who will amount to much, but since I don't profess to know it all, I asked the question.  I'm wondering what I'm missing in terms of young players who he has failed to develop.  Keeping in mind of course that any player who does grow under his coaching is then determined to already have been that good before they got here.  It's insanity.

Right, because the possiblitly of me being a Jets fan that wants to have a conversation about the Jets on a topic we don't agree on could only be trolling.  Again, we disagree and I can respect and understand where you're coming from and I see the validity in many of the points you're making.  I don't come on here to insult people who disagree with me because I don't believe it's the purpose of the board, but it's what it has become of late.

Its a very good question but difficult to answer. Is Coples playing out of position? Possibly but there is no evidence yet.

Remember Farrior? He went to Pittsburgh and had a productive career even though he was still a young player with the Jets. Would he have improved if he stayed? That's an unknown..

I think Coples is definitely out of position.  He'll be much better if the next HC moves him, and I also think Kenrick Ellis can be a great player but he's blocked by a stout D-line so I can't fault the CS too much for that.

It was a legitimate question that I asked based on the fact that so many people have told me that Rex cannot develop young players. I took it upon myself to look back at the draft picks he inherited from Mangini, and that were made by his previous GMs. None of them jump out at me as guys who will amount to much, but since I don't profess to know it all, I asked the question. I'm wondering what I'm missing in terms of young players who he has failed to develop. Keeping in mind of course that any player who does grow under his coaching is then determined to already have been that good before they got here. It's insanity.

Right, because the possiblitly of me being a Jets fan that wants to have a conversation about the Jets on a topic we don't agree on could only be trolling. Again, we disagree and I can respect and understand where you're coming from and I see the validity in many of the points you're making. I don't come on here to insult people who disagree with me because I don't believe it's the purpose of the board, but it's what it has become of late.

I answered your question. So, since you can't back your argument you whine about the board being sour in a 2-8 season. I don't get it.

I think you were spot on. Pettine and Westhoff were the bad cops.

Think anyone gets on guys in film study/meetings anymore? Obviously its speculation...but I doubt it. Teams without QB's need their HC's to be dicks...is what it is unfortunately. We dont have a passer that can make up for sloppy play. 

I answered your question. So, since you can't back your argument you whine about the board being sour in a 2-8 season. I don't get it.

My apologies. I missed your response with the players Rex has held back the most. My mistake and I openly admit it. I'll scroll back through to see who you chose. Obviously no right or wrong answer but curious to see predictions.

Some people feed off of misery and negativity. I'm not one of them. If you enjoy seeing every thread become about the same subject and insulting each other then it's your perogative. It does bum me out though because this can be such an enjoyable place when the discussions are fun and/or respectful.

Except it is the most appropriate answer to the question "who did Rex ruin or waste?"

So it's the perfect answer for those without bias towards Sanchez.

That may be true.  As I said earlier, if we knew for a fact that Rex demanded all of his targets be sent packing, then it was a terrible failure on his part.  I really think Sanchez needed one more season (yr 4) with competent receivers to see how far he'd come.  He had a good year three and then they dumped everyone.  

I think Sanchez will be better than we've ever seen him tonight.  Even when he was bad, he played most of his good football in the no huddle.  Now he's in an offense that's no huddle and he has five or six targets to choose from who can make big plays.  If Sanchez can't play well in this offense, he's officially a bust. Living in the Philly area I heard A LOT of analysts talking about him on my drive home and the consensus was that he's just not very good.  We'll find out over the next six weeks.

My apologies. I missed your response with the players Rex has held back the most. My mistake and I openly admit it. I'll scroll back through to see who you chose. Obviously no right or wrong answer but curious to see predictions.

Some people feed off of misery and negativity. I'm not one of them. If you enjoy seeing every thread become about the same subject and insulting each other then it's your perogative. It does bum me out though because this can be such an enjoyable place when the discussions are fun and/or respectful.

Why do you keep going to this? I'm posting about the topic of this thread, and you're responding with Pollyanna bullsh*t about prerogatives and respectfulness. You know what isn't respectful? Asking a clearly divisive question that is going to attract the polarized argument notes you've seen for weeks here, getting responses you can't out-argue, and then chastising everyone in the thread for basically not responding appropriately, or worse for ruining the community. 

I didn't make predictions, I gave you examples of guys that were either burned out, hindered or disregarded with Rex at the helm. Just a few examples, I'm sure I could dig up more if I had the energy, but at this point, I don't think you really want a discussion, because you're ignoring the parts of responses that are on-topic in favor of complaining about people not being on-topic.

That may be true.  As I said earlier, if we knew for a fact that Rex demanded all of his targets be sent packing, then it was a terrible failure on his part.  I really think Sanchez needed one more season (yr 4) with competent receivers to see how far he'd come.  He had a good year three and then they dumped everyone.  

I think Sanchez will be better than we've ever seen him tonight.  Even when he was bad, he played most of his good football in the no huddle.  Now he's in an offense that's no huddle and he has five or six targets to choose from who can make big plays.  If Sanchez can't play well in this offense, he's officially a bust. Living in the Philly area I heard A LOT of analysts talking about him on my drive home and the consensus was that he's just not very good.  We'll find out over the next six weeks.

There you go again, the gripe isn't that "Rex sent all his targets packing", we can't confirm that and that's not the issue that people are attaching to Rex. The issue is that Rex dictated the guys that became the new targets and they were horrible people to put around Sanchez and his fragile psyche. That's the part Rex is on the hook for, he was on record saying he told Mike to get those guys. Not sure what more you want for proof that Rex had influence over it. Sheesh...

Which one will be the first to make go to Canton once they escape his grasp and get to show the world just how talented they are?

Vernon Gholston?  Mark Sanchez?  Geno Smith?  Stephen Hill?  Vlad Ducasse? Quinton Coples? Kyle Wilson?  Greg McElroy?  Scotty McKnight? Greg McElroy?  Joe McKnight?  Brian Winters?  Shonn Greene?  Josh Bush?  

So many great players to choose from that I just can't decide, but if I had to pick one, it would actually be Kenrick Ellis.

yeah. beacause Gholston, Hill, Ducasse, McElroy, both McKnight's and Greene are really doing amazing things with their new or lack of new teams.  

5 of those guys are either on PS or out of the league.  

as for Winters, he's hurt.  can't blame that.  he wasn't terrible.  

I hate Wilson as much as the next guy, but everyone tells me he's one of the better "slot" corners in the league

Coples is coming around after a slow start this year.

There you go again, the gripe isn't that "Rex sent all his targets packing", we can't confirm that and that's not the issue that people are attaching to Rex. The issue is that Rex dictated the guys that became the new targets and they were horrible people to put around Sanchez and his fragile psyche. That's the part Rex is on the hook for, he was on record saying he told Mike to get those guys. Not sure what more you want for proof that Rex had influence over it. Sheesh...

so true. Rex wore it like a badge of honor and bragged that he stormed into tannys office and said "'he cost me 2 bowls..go get me that son of a b##tch" when they thought they stole Holmes for a 5th.( btw didn't that turn into brown? Or saunders?)...then when Holmes destroys the team Rex is just " doing his best with with what incompetent GM gave him"

so true. Rex wore it like a badge of honor and bragged that he stormed into tannys office and said "'he cost me 2 bowls..go get me that son of a b##tch" when they thought they stole Holmes for a 5th.( btw didn't that turn into brown? Or saunders?)...then when Holmes destroys the team Rex is just " doing his best with with what incompetent GM gave him"

Precisely. 

Why do you keep going to this? I'm posting about the topic of this thread, and you're responding with Pollyanna bullsh*t about prerogatives and respectfulness. You know what isn't respectful? Asking a clearly divisive question that is going to attract the polarized argument notes you've seen for weeks here, getting responses you can't out-argue, and then chastising everyone in the thread for basically not responding appropriately, or worse for ruining the community. 

I didn't make predictions, I gave you examples of guys that were either burned out, hindered or disregarded with Rex at the helm. Just a few examples, I'm sure I could dig up more if I had the energy, but at this point, I don't think you really want a discussion, because you're ignoring the parts of responses that are on-topic in favor of complaining about people not being on-topic.

You're right...my bad.

Archived