Leaving the Jets??????????

ucrenegade

I've never been within 3000 miles of New York and even I'd quit on that bullsh*t.

It would be a different team, a different franchise regardless. As JiF said, I'd quit the NFL, which I've effectively done anyways outside of the Jets.

Saturday >>> Sunday

And the Gators suck!!!

Bball team is legit again though, thankfully.

The Giants dont have a 99 year lease with the Giants. They co-own Metlife Stadium.

The examples UC gave are inopposite because those were tenant situation, which the Jets arent. Jets would not only have to sell its interest in Metlife, but then that money would have to be used to payoff the banks that financed the stadium. Essentially, Jets cant leave.

As to geography, if a team leads alot depends on whether the team assumes a new identity. It would hard for Jets fans to root for the team if they become known as the Los Angeles Stars.

I began following the Jets during the 1968 season and I fell in love with AFL football, and especially Joe Namath and the Jets. You don't know how many times I have said, "I'm done with this bunch of losers" but never could follow through. I can't root for Miami, New England or Buffalo, nor can I find Giants games remotely entertaining. I am in my late 50's now and I have seen so much BS over the years that my loyalty is waning. I haven't bought a ticket to a game in almost 10 years, and don't intend to until things look better. I hate Rex Ryan and if he or John Idzik return it would signal to me that we have the most inept owner in the teams history and "casual fan" or even Eagles fan might be more appealing to me. For decades I held on hope against hope that a Super Bowl would come. The Walt Michaels Jets almost got it done, but another inept owner  - one in the Ring of Honor (undeservedly) - fired him after the Mud Bowl. Then came Parcells but he ultimately proved to be a snake in the grass. Several failed administrations later here we are, no closer to a SB than we were in 1970. For me time is running out, as is my faith that ANYONE in charge of this ship really cares.

Our stories are nearly identical-same year becoming a fan of the Jets, same age, same feeling towards this horrible and more concerned with politics than football owner

The Giants dont have a 99 year lease with the Giants. They co-own Metlife Stadium.

The examples UC gave are inopposite because those were tenant situation, which the Jets arent. Jets would not only have to sell its interest in Metlife, but then that money would have to be used to payoff the banks that financed the stadium. Essentially, Jets cant leave.

As to geography, if a team leads alot depends on whether the team assumes a new identity. It would hard for Jets fans to root for the team if they become known as the Los Angeles Stars.

A pro sports franchise moving out of their half-owned heavily mortgaged stadium is not gonna happen.

Good points. I agree that the Jets have a mortgage on Metlife that is underwater. Maybe Obama can arrange a HARP loan or negotiate a short sale for them.

There was a time in the late 70's that I loved the 49ers (but not nearly as much as the Jets). This was before they were really good, but they got to the playoffs once in a while - John Brody, Gene Washington, Vick Washington....  but what I loved about them was their secondary - Bruce Taylor and Jimmy Johnson at the corners, Mel Philips and Rosy Taylor at safety... Such great names..  I loved good secondary guys in those days... then I found out that Bruce Taylor was the brother of the net guard Brian Taylor, and I was intrigued even more. But the point is, you root for teams, usually because you become attached to the players. Players today are not very likeable (with their stupid arrogant behavior), or they just don't stay on the same team for a long enough time because of free agency. Therefore, since we are rooting for laundry, it is hard to have a favorite team (other than the Jets of course, because that's just something in your blood that is hard to get rid of)...

I don't think I could stop being a Jets fan.  I had a buddy who was a Browns fan when they left Cleveland.  He said he'd never root for them again and that he was going to be a "casual" fan.  Fast forward to opening day, and he was watching the Ravens and screaming at them like they were still the Browns...I think that's how I'd be. 

Archived