Contrast in Style: Rex vs. Pettine

Integrity28

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh really? Lol. So you admit that this Mangini built the team that Rex won with thing is BS, then? Thank you!

Tannenbaum and Mangini came in at the same time, and essentially worked as partners. Tannenbaum hired Rex, and whether they had the same relationship remains unclear at best. 

I don't think that anyone ever suggested that Rex didn't influence the roster, just that the GM has the ultimate responsibility for every move made. That's the man's job. 

Yes, and no. I believe Mangini's philosophy on the types of players you want in the locker room is better than Rex's. I believe that Mangini and Tannenbaum did in fact build the team that Rex eventually took over, and most of that team's impact players were there before Rex arrived. 

I also believe that Rex's arrival improved the run game, vastly improved the defense and he earned his record because he was the coach, not Mangini. 

What I really believe is that we haven't had a capable head coach between the two of them. I think Mangini was a little better at being a task-master and having "ideals" about what his team should be, and Rex is a vastly superior coach. Ultimately, combined with Tanny and Idzik, not a damn one of them deserves much praise.

You started it. You had a grudge obviously.

You are the one who thinks you are being pathetic.

And now you keep deluding yourself.

I am just glad you are still awake almost two hours down the road after yawning and still typing in hyper-crap.

My job here is done.

See ya.

You are acting as if you believed me when I said I'd call. 

Gotcha...saw your comment about not getting to see what Mangini could do in the playoffs, didn't realize you were talking about a specific year.  

No sweat bud. I don't really care about what we're talking about... the thread was supposed to be about Rex and Pettine being polar opposite personality types. It turned into the same old gobbledy-goop when the same old bickering lines just had to be spewed. That's why I'm just trolling my own thread at this point... our posters, sometimes they just lack originality.

Yes, and no. I believe Mangini's philosophy on the types of players you want in the locker room is better than Rex's. I believe that Mangini and Tannenbaum did in fact build the team that Rex eventually took over, and most of that team's impact players were there before Rex arrived. 

I also believe that Rex's arrival improved the run game, vastly improved the defense and he earned his record because he was the coach, not Mangini. 

What I really believe is that we haven't had a capable head coach between the two of them. I think Mangini was a little better at being a task-master and having "ideals" about what his team should be, and Rex is a vastly superior coach. Ultimately, combined with Tanny and Idzik, not a damn one of them deserves much praise.

Mangini was a terrible in-game coach and extremely conservative defensive playcaller.  Which is why our defense with pretty much the same roster went to top 5 the year Rex came here.  Revis didn't actually become Revis until Rex got here instituted an aggressive blitz scheme that made Revis look amazing because he only had to cover his guy for 4 seconds or less.

There were some pretty big duds in the draft the years Mangina was here.  Gholston, Schlegel, Eric Smith - he even traded up for Kellen Clemens.

Not to discredit your other points, but this pretty much says it all.

Anthony Schlegel was a great locker room guy ... for me to poop on.

Mangini is horrible.  That's why he flat out bombed in Cleveland after he embarrassed himself here.  No NFL owner wants anything to do with him for a reason.  His claim to fame was he was Belichick's dc for 5 minutes and Woody wanted to copy the "Patriot Way" or whatever.  Meanwhile Rex will have a job as a DC somewhere next year or maybe even HC.

Deflection is all u got. Very very weak.

Deflection from what? Nobody, least if all you, knows what you're talking about. Deflection doesn't even make sense in the context of this back and forth... I kind if feel bad for you.

You are putting a lot of effort into proving you aren't butt hurt about something. How do you think it's going so far? I think the only person you've convinced is you.

Deflection from what? Nobody, least if all you, knows what you're talking about. Deflection doesn't even make sense in the context of this back and forth... I kind if feel bad for you.

If you did not understand you are downright stupid. Or acting stupid is the only move you have left which is very very pathetic.

You are putting a lot of effort into proving you aren't butt hurt about something. How do you think it's going so far? I think the only person you've convinced is you.

You can go back in this thread.

Yawn.

You started it by being a wise-ass. You were butt hurt about something unless you are d-bag who just likes being an ahole to people without any reason. Whatever the case may be now you are flailing to stay afloat. GFY!

If you did not understand you are downright stupid. Or acting stupid is the only move you have left which is very very pathetic.

You can go back in this thread.

You started it by being a wise-ass. You were butt hurt about something unless you are d-bag who just likes being an ahole to people without any reason. Whatever the case may be now you are flailing to stay afloat. GFY!

Your best course would be to tread lightly. :D

The "yawn" thing was a reference to what you kept doing the other night to me, I laughed at it when you did it, you are losing your composure when I do it back. Calm down and don't get yourself banned.

Your best course would be to tread lightly. :biggrin:

The "yawn" thing was a reference to what you kept doing the other night to me, I laughed at it when you did it, you are losing your composure when I do it back. Calm down and don't get yourself banned.

You got butt hurt over something uncomplimentary I said about the Pats the other night. Who knew we had closet Pats fans on a JETS board. You got treated the way you deserved to be in that thread.

Now  after "laughing" it off for some inexplicable reason in this thread  you took it upon yourself to be a d-bag again.

And now you are reduced to a state where the only move you are left with is trying to get me banned. That's really low.

Started reading that Collision Low Crossers book, and in the early going they've been talking a lot about the Rex-Pettine relationship.  Rex referred to him as his "other twin", and Pettine appreciated Rex's role in bolstering his career.  So it's easy to see how they got along.  But there's definitely a major difference in how they coach. 

I'm definitely rooting for Pettine to continue his success.  Cleveland fans may suck but they deserve a winning football team at least once in their lives.

This is Ape's favorite time ever.  He gets to tell people over and over again how he was the first to not like Rex.  I can't believe he finds the time to play Mafia.

Oh, the part where he mentions actual Jets players and coaches is much preferred.  I don't like the constant "you fell into my trap" or "stop stalking me bullsh*t."  Argue about football, make me laugh or shut the **** up. 

Oh, the part where he mentions actual Jets players and coaches is much preferred.  I don't like the constant "you fell into my trap" or "stop stalking me bullsh*t."  Argue about football, make me laugh or shut the **** up. 

My personal favorite is the "You're not smart enough to see what I was trying to do there."  Honorable mention to the "That's not the real me, I'm only an a$$hole on the internet."

You got butt hurt over something uncomplimentary I said about the Pats the other night. Who knew we had closet Pats fans on a JETS board. You got treated the way you deserved to be in that thread.

Now  after "laughing" it off for some inexplicable reason in this thread  you took it upon yourself to be a d-bag again.

And now you are reduced to a state where the only move you are left with is trying to get me banned. That's really low.

Huh? You lashed out at me, because I was being objective while discussing the Patriots. When I asked you to look at it objectively, you responded like a child with a bunch of remarks like "yawn" and "weak". None of what you were saying or doing then made any sense, it was laughable and I eventually just let it trickle to a halt before you got too worked up.

In this thread, where you lashed out at me again with your initial post joining the conversation, I responded "yawn" as a sort of call-back, like in comedy. People here do that all the time. It's how we acknowledge past disagreements in a light-hearted way. Instead of taking it that way, you've taken it upon yourself to start name-calling, while making believe you've out-argued me on a point that hasn't even been established. 

I'm telling you, as someone that has posted alongside you for however long it's been, I'm not upset you didn't agree with me about the Pats, I'm not upset now. I think it's unfortunate that you've decided to go this route and are acting like a victim - look at how you entered this thread, then assert that I'm the problem some more. 

My personal favorite is the "You're not smart enough to see what I was trying to do there."  Honorable mention to the "That's not the real me, I'm only an a$$hole on the internet."

Huh? You lashed out at me, because I was being objective while discussing the Patriots. When I asked you to look at it objectively, you responded like a child with a bunch of remarks like "yawn" and "weak". None of what you were saying or doing then made any sense, it was laughable and I eventually just let it trickle to a halt before you got too worked up.

In this thread, where you lashed out at me again with your initial post joining the conversation, I responded "yawn" as a sort of call-back, like in comedy. People here do that all the time. It's how we acknowledge past disagreements in a light-hearted way. Instead of taking it that way, you've taken it upon yourself to start name-calling, while making believe you've out-argued me on a point that hasn't even been established. 

I'm telling you, as someone that has posted alongside you for however long it's been, I'm not upset you didn't agree with me about the Pats, I'm not upset now. I think it's unfortunate that you've decided to go this route and are acting like a victim - look at how you entered this thread, then assert that I'm the problem some more. 

And right on cue, there's this post.  lol.

I started this thread because I thought it would be interesting to juxtapose the personality profiles of Pettine and Rex, and what personality strengths/flaws work best for a HC. Which, at a point where we're discussing who the next coach should be every day, I find to be extremely relevant.

There ya go playing innocent victim again.

I have seen worse been said about about the Pats and the Phags on this JETS board in the past and won't be surprised if it happens in the future as well. No one has got their panties in a bunch.

There ya go playing victim again. I did not respond to your post at all.  Now I see you started the thread but no one goes about responding to a thread based on who started it. But you have to be a child and take any disagreement by any post as a personal affront. Wow! Talk about being uber sensitive.

And then you project what you did yourself on the other person. This is the lowest of all low's.

There ya go playing innocent victim again.

I have seen worse been said about about the Pats and the Phags on this JETS board in the past and won't be surprised if it happens in the future as well. No one has got their panties in a bunch.

There ya go playing victim again. I did not respond to your post at all.  Now I see you started the thread but no one goes about responding to a thread based on who started it. But you have to be a child and take any disagreement by any post as a personal affront. Wow! Talk about being uber sensitive.

And then you project what you did yourself on the other person. This is the lowest of all low's.

Denver, 

Asking you to look at something objectively isn't "playing victim" it is an appeal to reason. Pretty standard stuff in a situation where people have opposing points of view. It's not an expression of being insulted, or meant to be an insult. It's just an attempt to find a middle ground, or a way to look at the subject from different points of view.

Anyway, you're right. I'm super-senstive, this is all about me. You've done it, you've beaten me to a proverbial e-pulp with your cunning and innate ability to re-invent a sequence of events. Your reverse psychology about me wanting you to be banned so that I'd argue for you not to be banned totally leveled me. There was nowhere I could go after that.

At this point, all I can ask is that you accept my humble apology for wronging you in the many ways I obviously have.

With regards,

Ape

First year HC magic

So... getting back on track, with Gato here.

I don't disagree that there's some of this at play for Pettine, but I also don't think you can discredit the value of having a head coach that brings structure, discipline and an overall vision to the job. There's a lot of good things about Rex as a coach, but he falls down in those areas, unfortunately. I'm not saying this to imply Pettine is better, rather the type of figurehead Pettine seems to be is better for an organization. In general.

Denver, 

Asking you to look at something objectively isn't "playing victim" it is an appeal to reason. Pretty standard stuff in a situation where people have opposing points of view. It's not an expression of being insulted, or meant to be an insult. It's just an attempt to find a middle ground, or a way to look at the subject from different points of view.

Anyway, you're right. I'm super-senstive, this is all about me. You've done it, you've beaten me to a proverbial e-pulp with your cunning and innate ability to re-invent a sequence of events. Your reverse psychology about me wanting you to be banned so that I'd argue for you not to be banned totally leveled me. There was nowhere I could go after that.

At this point, all I can ask is that you accept my humble apology for wronging you in the many ways I obviously have.

With regards,

Ape

tl;dr

So... getting back on track, with Gato here.

I don't disagree that there's some of this at play for Pettine, but I also don't think you can discredit the value of having a head coach that brings structure, discipline and an overall vision to the job. There's a lot of good things about Rex as a coach, but he falls down in those areas, unfortunately. I'm not saying this to imply Pettine is better, rather the type of figurehead Pettine seems to be is better for an organization. In general.

The whole point of first year coach magic is that nobody knows their flaws or they seem to overcome them.  Plenty of people said the same about Mangini - that structure sucked.  It was a loser team that lost.  Ryan's flaws are more apparent even when things are going well, but Pettine is 6-4 and is probably not making the playoffs.  Jet fans would be complaining about the wasted draft position.  Next year they will pay Hoyer or he will walk and they will start with Manziel.  Things look good now, but they can turn ugly very quickly. 

There may be some truth to the whole overseer vs. coach/play caller, but you need to command respect.  There is a little grace period, then you see what happens. 

The whole point of first year coach magic is that nobody knows their flaws or they seem to overcome them.  Plenty of people said the same about Mangini - that structure sucked.  It was a loser team that lost.  Ryan's flaws are more apparent even when things are going well, but Pettine is 6-4 and is probably not making the playoffs.  Jet fans would be complaining about the wasted draft position.  Next year they will pay Hoyer or he will walk and they will start with Manziel.  Things look good now, but they can turn ugly very quickly. 

There may be some truth to the whole overseer vs. coach/play caller, but you need to command respect.  There is a little grace period, then you see what happens. 

100% agree with the bold.

Speaking Thursday, coach Mike Pettine said Josh Gordon is "maybe little ahead of where we expected."

Gordon practiced Wednesday for the first time since August and it went well, with Brian Hoyer targeting him tons. Gordon's "pitch count" will be raised on Thursday, meaning the Browns will give him more reps ahead of Sunday's game against the Falcons. Pettine's pleasure with where Gordon is at physically and mentally right now bodes well for his chances of seeing something close around 75-85 percent of the snaps in his 2014 debut. Although we wouldn't expect a massive game given the circumstances, he's a must-start in season-long formats.

This is interesting. I felt at the time, and all season, that both Milliner and Decker were rushed back onto the field after their injuries this  year. I wonder if this is just coach speak, and Gordon will be the center of the offense, or if he'll follow through on this...

This is interesting. I felt at the time, and all season, that both Milliner and Decker were rushed back onto the field after their injuries this  year. I wonder if this is just coach speak, and Gordon will be the center of the offense, or if he'll follow through on this...

I don't care if they came out and said he'd play 10 % of the snaps, be a decoy and would only jog around the field.  He's in my lineup.

Remember that time Pettine cut Josh Gordon for being a 3-peat distraction to his team, so he could demonstrate to all that there's a new sheriff in town? That was so cool.

Santonio Holmes has never had a 1,000 yard season.  Josh Gordon had 1,646 receiving yards in 14 games.  There's your difference.

Archived