Schefter: Harbaugh Situation

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Polian is done...he's a dinosaur. I'd rather give Harbagh the keys. Woody must step back.

Teams where the owner is involved mainly under achieve. can't stand seeing Woody on the sidelines.

Skins, Cowboys, Falcons etc.. Active owners whispering in the GMs ear.

that's Woody... No biz experience but like a child has ideas.

like a king with a plan

The Michigan job is a no win situation. It's a program that will never come to grips that it isn't a big time program anymore. Not to mention snobby alumni with unrealistic expectations. ND is probably a more attractive job at this point.

hey i resemble that comment

UMich is not what it used to be. It's not a great party school and it's tough academically and they don't have talent pool to draw from like they used to. And like you said they expectations will be sky high because of history.

young kids don't want to go live in the freezing cold if they can enjoy themselves in the warm SEC. girls hotter down there also imho

Very good news, if true.

I like Harbaugh, but I really don't see him as a long term solution. While a lot of people are pining for a disciplinarian, that particular shtick does get old fast with the players. It's a different league, and there really aren't that many of that type of coach around anymore. I do see him as a quality short term fix, however. Similar to the Parcells situation where he comes in, kicks ass, and rights the ship. That would be great, but I don't think it's worth a high draft pick (or more). The picks the Pats gave up for Belichick were well worth it for them, but I don't see Harbaugh lasting over a decade in any NFL job. Certainly not in New York under Woody Johnson.

I'd be more than happy to have Woody win a bidding war for him that only involves cash, though. It ain't my money.

They really are, and frankly the answer for us isn't a bi-polar one. The same flawed logic informs too much of American politics - you don't fix going too far in one direction by clamoring for the other direction.

Just because a defensive coach failed as head coach, doesn't mean we absolutely need an offensive one. 

Just because a "players coach" failed as head coach, doesn't mean we absolutely need a disciplinarian. 

We need a well-rounded leader who sets the tone of the franchise. Out-work, out-prepare, out-think and out-play the competition. If the means to that end is discipline or if it is crying in every press conference it doesn't matter, what matters is that the coach be excellent at being a head coach. Rex just isn't. Mangini wasn't. Herm wasn't. It's not about the style of coach, it's about the quality of coach and hiring someone with the right skillset. Rex is a coordinator, not a head coach. Mangini is a student of the game, not a head coach. Herm is a terrible TV personality, not a head coach.

Our next head coach needs to know what the **** they are doing. No more learning on the job nonsense.I want there to be qualifications to architect the roster alongside our GM (whoever that may be) and know how to get the best out of players at every level of the roster (develop players and game plan to their strengths). Most of all I want the next coach to have it all under control. Instill confidence amongst the team and the fans. Give us something to be proud of for once.

They really are, and frankly the answer for us isn't a bi-polar one. The same flawed logic informs too much of American politics - you don't fix going too far in one direction by clamoring for the other direction.

Just because a defensive coach failed as head coach, doesn't mean we absolutely need an offensive one. 

Just because a "players coach" failed as head coach, doesn't mean we absolutely need a disciplinarian. 

We need a well-rounded leader who sets the tone of the franchise. Out-work, out-prepare, out-think and out-play the competition. If the means to that end is discipline or if it is crying in every press conference it doesn't matter, what matters is that the coach be excellent at being a head coach. Rex just isn't. Mangini wasn't. Herm wasn't. It's not about the style of coach, it's about the quality of coach and hiring someone with the right skillset. Rex is a coordinator, not a head coach. Mangini is a student of the game, not a head coach. Herm is a terrible TV personality, not a head coach.

Our next head coach needs to know what the **** they are doing. No more learning on the job nonsense.I want there to be qualifications to architect the roster alongside our GM (whoever that may be) and know how to get the best out of players at every level of the roster (develop players and game plan to their strengths). Most of all I want the next coach to have it all under control. Instill confidence amongst the team and the fans. Give us something to be proud of for once.

POTWN Now the only reason I have been advocating the idea that they should hire an offensive minded HC was b/c to expect Woody Johnson to see things as clearly as you so eloquently put them in my Post Of The Week Nomination here Monkey Boy is because I think that it may be asking just a little too much for his very limited approach to football management. I mean this is the guy who keeps guys around because the players like the guy...inmates running the asylum over there in Florham Park 

Can't say it any better

harbaugh is a rich's man's mangini. hard ass that works at first but wears thin. i still want him; we need someone to clear out the bouncy castle and ping pong tables from the locker room

That's true, you only have a 3-4 year window with Harbaugh.

Then again, Coughlin is kinda similar and the Giants put up with his sh*t for a long time. 

Either way, this team needs short term success and i'm happy to break the bank for a guy that can bring it

No new information here but speculation that Harbaugh = no Rex OR Idzik in 2015.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/30/jets-expected-to-talk-harbaugh-trade-with-49ers/

Jets expected to talk Harbaugh trade with 49ers

Gang Green could be getting a shade of khaki in their future.

ESPN reported the Jets are expected to inquire about the availability of 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh at the end of the season. Harbaugh is in the fourth year of a five-year, $25 million contract, but there have been reports all year he would leave San Francisco after the season.

The Jets are expected to fire coach Rex Ryan at the end of the year, but this is the first signal they have begun looking for his replacement. A source told ESPN the Raiders are the favorite to land Harbaugh, but the Jets are keeping a “close eye” on the situation. The Jets are 2-9 and will miss the playoffs for the fourth straight year.

The 49ers would receive compensation for Harbaugh, so the Jets would have to decide if they are willing to give up a draft pick for the coach. He also will command a hefty salary. Jets owner Woody Johnson has hired four coaches, none of them had previous head-coaching experience, so they came cheaply.

If the Jets hire Harbaugh, it also likely means the end of John Idzik as general manager. Harbaugh clashed with the front office in San Francisco and is expected to want total control in his next job. Idzik could be fired or reassigned if Harbaugh came on board.

The Jets used a heavy rotation in the secondary last week against the Bills, and are expected to do the same Monday. The Jets are in evaluation mode with the playoffs out of reach.

“We’re looking at everybody,” defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman said. “We want guys to play. I mean, we’re 2-9. We’re looking at giving guys opportunities to play and the reality of it is that they’re earning playing time. We want to take a look at different combinations to see how they work and they look. So, you’ll see it again on [Monday].”

The Dolphins have not won on Monday night since 2009, when they defeated the Jets. They have lost five straight. … Brandon Dixon, a sixth-round pick of the Jets, had an interception for the Buccaneers on Sunday against the Bengals. The Jets cut Dixon at the end of training camp. He now has one more interception than Jets’ first-round pick Calvin Pryor.

And the snooty alumni would like nothing better than a fellow alum getting into the Final 4 every year. And off the debacles of the last decade Harbaugh will have a long honeymoon. 

Cannot say it enough-the Final 4(8 very soon) is going to be huge, 2nd only to the Super Bowl. 

I agree but it's also going to make the college game much more pressurized because now you can't just go 6-5 and play in the poopchute.com bowl and tell the boosters you had a good season.  Odds are Harbaugh goes to the Raiders or UMich but I don't think it's impossible the Jets get him if Woody suddenly develops the brains and balls to get the deal done.

Archived