The 1st down that wasn't (Pats 1st down)

Maxman

That's funny... considering that in 2001, prior to their first SB title the Pats attendance was only 62.5% capacity and that jumped to 92.5% in 2002, immediately following their first "championship* ."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2001

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2002

All your showing is the road attendance except for two teams the bills and SD. Check out

http://www.thesportmarket.biz/charts/sellout%20streaks/ranktop.html

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't just stern who buried. The 5 major media conglomerates have a ton of money invested in pro sports and the last thing they want is for people to think its fixed. Tim Donaghy should have been a way bigger story than it was instead most people are more familiar with a pimple on Kim kardashians ass then rampant collusion between refs in all sports and the mob and Vegas.

Pro sports is for the most part fixed. They can't prevent David Tyree from catching a first down in the super bowl with his helmet or the Jets pounding on an inferior team in foxboro 2010 playoffs but if you look at the lines in Vegas there's a very good reason the boys in Vegas are almost never wrong.

Well they were wrong by 9 points yesterday.

That's funny... considering that in 2001, prior to their first SB title the Pats attendance was only 62.5% capacity and that jumped to 92.5% in 2002, immediately following their first "championship* ."

Most pat fans were giant or cowboys fans in the 90's. Most fair weather fan base in the nfl.

It wasn't just stern who buried. The 5 major media conglomerates have a ton of money invested in pro sports and the last thing they want is for people to think its fixed. Tim Donaghy should have been a way bigger story than it was instead most people are more familiar with a pimple on Kim kardashians ass then rampant collusion between refs in all sports and the mob and Vegas.

Pro sports is for the most part fixed. They can't prevent David Tyree from catching a first down in the super bowl with his helmet or the Jets pounding on an inferior team in foxboro 2010 playoffs but if you look at the lines in Vegas there's a very good reason the boys in Vegas are almost never wrong.

This guy gets it.

Most pat fans were giant or cowboys fans in the 90's. Most fair weather fan base in the nfl.

There were very few Cowboy fans up here, I knew two. There were and still are a lot of giant fans, my father was a giants fan and so were a lot of friends parents. And it is kind of hard to say if they are fair weather fans, If your 40 years old all you remember is The pats going to the SB in 86 and then Kraft and Parells more than 20 years ago. that is a whole generation that grew up with the Pats as the dominate team in the division. 

So the Jets sell out streak is 15 years longer than the Pats?

We are ******* so much better fans than you guys its sick. 

Ten years at 10 games a year.  But you think that having 10x the population base within 50 miles of the stadium have anything to do with it.

This conspiracy theory would make sense (well,actually not, but let's pretend) if the call actually was in conjunction with what the majority of people bet-The line. 

The Pats never threatened the line at all yesterday, and you would need to indicate a whole other bunch of calls that tried to move the game.

The reason Vegas makes money is on the vig. They do not leave themselves open to wide variances on games in terms of who the public bets on. They just want people to bet, who they bet on is not as important.

This is fine, man. I agree. I live in Massachusetts and you're absolutely right: Patriots fandom skyrocketed by a good solid third after the Brady era began.

That said, that was now 14 years ago. People who were then 25 years old are now almost 40. Are you stil going to be calling Patriot fans `bandwagon fans` 20 years from now after they've been Patriot fans for their entire lives? You guys need to get new material.

Also, you guys act like Patriot fans are bad fans. You couldn't be more wrong. Did you not see the "Brady! Brady! Brady!" chants after the media hell storm early this season? It even got copied in San Diego.

How about the "Brady's Better" chant during the Broncos game? I've been watching and following football since the early 90's (when I was 13) and I don't know that I have EVER seen this kind of stuff from any other fan base. That isn't too say "we're the best fans," but we are pretty damn awesome.

The elements aren't the only reason Gillette stadium is one of the toughest places to play in the entire league.

This is fine, man. I agree. I live in Massachusetts and you're absolutely right: Patriots fandom skyrocketed by a good solid third after the Brady era began.

That said, that was now 14 years ago. People who were then 25 years old are now almost 40. Are you stil going to be calling Patriot fans `bandwagon fans` 20 years from now after they've been Patriot fans for their entire lives? You guys need to get new material.

Also, you guys act like Patriot fans are bad fans. You couldn't be more wrong. Did you not see the "Brady! Brady! Brady!" chants after the media hell storm early this season? It even got copied in San Diego.

How about the "Brady's Better" chant during the Broncos game? I've been watching and following football since the early 90's (when I was 13) and I don't know that I have EVER seen this kind of stuff from any other fan base. That isn't too say "we're the best fans," but we are pretty damn awesome.

The elements aren't the only reason Gillette stadium is one of the toughest places to play in the entire league.

:hand:

Bunch of bandwagon jumping punk-ass bitches. 

The Pats are easy to like if you're not a rival, man. Tom Brady is wicked awesome and our head coach may or may not be a Sith Lord. We play awesome and we win awesome.

I gave the local bandwagon jumpers crap in 2002 (more so in 2004), but I moved on quick simply because I can hardly blame young football fans for developing an attachment to something so uniquely great in its local football franchise.

Every team with a huge fan base at one point had its big bandwagon jump moment. The Steel Curtain did it for the Steelers, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice did it for the Niners.

The difference is, with teams like the Steelers, Niners, Cowboys and Patriots, the success is so decisive and so well sustained, it creates a large and LASTING fan base even after the good times end, where as flash in the pan success just creates a little bubble of hype people get involved in before moving on.

Patriot Nation is here to stay, even after Brady (which wont be for a long time)

I know this was discussed in the game thread. But I think it deserves its own thread. I was at the game, so did they show something different or explain it on TV? But late in the game at midfield they showed the first down markers and it looked clearly like the Pats were short.

Except they said 1st down.

Optical illusion? What was the deal?

What about the TD that never was. The RB dives to the goalie completely surrounded by other players and the ref on the opposite side of the field immediately throws up the TD sign. And after review there wasn't enough evidence to over turn it. There is NO WAY that ref could have seen a TD, but he calls it anyway. Same old story.

I will never respect this Patriots "dynasty" .... Such bullsh*t. Obviously Kraft runs this league.

What about the TD that never was. The RB dives to the goalie completely surrounded by other players and the ref on the opposite side of the field immediately throws up the TD sign. And after review there wasn't enough evidence to over turn it. There is NO WAY that ref could have seen a TD, but he calls it anyway. Same old story.

I will never respect this Patriots "dynasty" .... Such bullsh*t. Obviously Kraft runs this league.

Stop your crying over the officials.

First off on that play, the ball completely broke the plane of the goal line, so it was a correct TD call.

The problem was his knee was clearly down on the 1-yard line before the ball broke the plane.

The reason why the play was not over turned was because there was no replay evidence that he was touched by a Jets defender when his knee was down.

Stop your crying over the officials.

First off on that play, the ball completely broke the plane of the goal line, so it was a correct TD call.

The problem was his knee was clearly down on the 1-yard line before the ball broke the plane.

The reason why the play was not over turned was because there was no replay evidence that he was touched by a Jets defender when his knee was down.

From your posts I think you are reasonable guy. You know your owner has an abnormal amount of influence in this league and your team gets some ridiculous calls... weekly. If it was my team I wouldn't care either. But for fans of the other 31... It's crystal clear.

wIll never respect this Patriots "dynasty" .... Such bullsh*t. Obviously Kraft runs this league.

That's all well n good, but i hope you realize it doesn't matter one bit..

NFL does not benefit from favoring just one team

From your posts I think you are reasonable guy. You know your owner has an abnormal amount of influence in this league and your team gets some ridiculous calls... weekly. If it was my team I wouldn't care either. But for fans of the other 31... It's crystal clear.

Fair enough, but you do realize that the Pats are the most penalized team in the NFL?

:hand:

Bunch of bandwagon jumping punk-ass bitches. 

Remember that time we were in the bar with a dozen Pats fan and they were all screaming and yelling like the most passionate group of fans in the world.  So I challenged them on some simple Pats history and not a single one of them could name the Pats Head Coach before BB???  Not one!!!

The one guy was like...PARCELLS!!!  We were like, not quite.  And then his buddy was like, Parcells coached the Pats?

Good times.

No offense, man, but this is total horse crap, and you guys just see what you want to see.

The TRUTH is when the Patriots get hosed by bad calls, plenty of people celebrate and say "Yah! **** those Pats!" and when a call goes the Pats way, the same people start going into tin foil hat conspiracies about Kraft paying the officials off.

The Pats lost to the Ravens in 2012 to a field goal the Ravens kicker didn't even make, after the officials kept THREE Raven scoring drives alive on phantom PI calls so atrocious, Chris Colinsworth and whats-his-name started APOLOGIZING on air for the referee debacle.

Where was the call on Welker's illegal pick play in last years AFCCG? Where was the PI against Gronk against Carolina that probably cost us a #1 seed?

You guys throw parties when the Pats get blatantly screwed, then climb up on your moral mountain to complain about conspiracies when the Patriots get a call.

This conspiracy theory would make sense (well,actually not, but let's pretend) if the call actually was in conjunction with what the majority of people bet-The line. 

The Pats never threatened the line at all yesterday, and you would need to indicate a whole other bunch of calls that tried to move the game.

The reason Vegas makes money is on the vig. They do not leave themselves open to wide variances on games in terms of who the public bets on. They just want people to bet, who they bet on is not as important.

Ideally 50/50 on each side.. Although Vegas does "Gamble" occasionally with weak lines intended to drive heavy action on the favorite side.

The whole idea that there is systematic collusiion between NFL, refs, vegas and mob is insane

Remember that time we were in the bar with a dozen Pats fan and they were all screaming and yelling like the most passionate group of fans in the world.  So I challenged them on some simple Pats history and not a single one of them could name the Pats Head Coach before BB???  Not one!!!

The one guy was like...PARCELLS!!!  We were like, not quite.  And then his buddy was like, Parcells coached the Pats?

Good times.

My favorite was the a$$hole with the brand new Red Sox hat and throw back White Sox t-shirt from the 80s when they wore red, white and blue. Idiot didn't even realize he was wearing a White Sox shirt because the shirt just said "Sox."

Archived