Time to solidify Offensive Line

SouthernJet

Lol.

Just took a quick look at drafthistory.com, and the last time a guard was drafted at #6 or higher was 1975. The fanboys running NFL front offices would seem to play by those fake rules, too.

And there was a hall of famer picked directly after him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=1975

1975 - Round 1 SEL # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 Atlanta Falcons Steve Bartkowski QB California 2 Dallas Cowboys Randy White DT Maryland 3 Baltimore Colts Ken Huff G North Carolina 4 Chicago Bears Walter Payton RB Jackson State

The O-Line is fine. Get a QB with some sort of pocket awareness, a guy who doesn't hold onto the ball for 20 seconds and runs into defenders.

I believe the jets will send an order to the qb store. included in the available options, I am sure they will check the "pocket awareness" box. don't fret

We're signing Iupati and possibly drafting Scherf.

LT: Brick

LG: Iupati

C: Mangold

RG: Scherf

RT: Giacomini

Scherf played OT in college but Mayock thinks he'd fit better in at Guard - similar to Zack Martin who changed from Tackle to Guard.

I'm sure Scherf is way talented, but if a new GM comes in and drafts a freaking guard with the #6 pick in the draft he should be fired before round 2.

The O-Line is fine. Get a QB with some sort of pocket awareness, a guy who doesn't hold onto the ball for 20 seconds and runs into defenders.

Not near fine enough and declining in certain key areas. Fix it now. You can't have a Super Bowl winning team with the line we have now. Regarding QB, grab the best we can get or two in the draft. Sign a vet and have a really open competition with no favorites.

It's like this franchise never learns.   The offense struggled when they didn't have a replacement for Kareem McKenzie.    Then it was Kendall, then it was Woody.   This team has always done well with a good OL...not sure why they continue repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.

Precisely! So many people focus on the QB like there aren't 10 other players on the team.

Worst QB in NFL.

Worst DB's in NFL.

Amongst the worst LB in NFL (without UFA Harris).

One above average WR on the roster (Decker).

Solution:  Focus on our Mid-ranked Offensive Line.

Not how I'd do it.

Fix what's broken first, throw money/effort at the biggest weaknesses, especially QB, and bring this team to competitiveness first.

The O-line is already competitive.  We are not a 4 win tyeam because of our O-line.

We are a 4 win team because we have the worst QB in the NFL, and the worst DB's in the NFL.

When we can say we're average, at least, at QB and DB and WR, then I will happily suggest we focus on the O-line.

Till then, no, no first round Guards.  All a better O-line will do, right now with Geno Smith, is give him an extra second before he throws a bad inaccurate pass, interception or fumble.

Be smart and thrifty if O-line FA are available.  Draft O-line in the Mid-Rounds, sure.

But not the first round.

If we miss on Marriotta, Winston, and no viable CBs in round 1, I see no harm in going OL.

It's NEVER a bad idea solidifying the OL. I have no idea why they walked away from it after Faneca, Woody, Moore. Especially since that was when Mangold and Brick were in their prime. ******* stupid. 

winner winner chicken dinner

Not near fine enough and declining in certain key areas. Fix it now. You can't have a Super Bowl winning team with the line we have now. Regarding QB, grab the best we can get or two in the draft. Sign a vet and have a really open competition with no favorites.

Fix WHAT exactly? This isn't a video game, you can't have 23 year old studs with big contracts at every position. WHAT do you want to fix? We had the best rushing attack in the NFL last time I checked. Not sure where we finished, probably still in the top 3. The pass protection has been decent. What's there to fix? Be specific! Don't just say "oh let's sign people!!!". What position do you want to upgrade? LT? Not gonna happen. C? Not gonna happen. RT? Not gonna happen. So that leaves both guard spots. LG? We could bring in a big name free agent, sure. But Aboushi has played reasonably well for somebody who had to step in in the middle of the season. I actually liked what I've seen from him. He's making no money, he played decent, he should be our starting LG going into next season. RG? Again, Colon is a solid guard, he's fairly young, he doesn't make much money. He's a great leader and very well liked in the locker room. The only thing that might get him benched are the ridiculous amount of penalties, but outside of that? It makes no sense to hand somebody else a 70 mil. contract just to upgrade the RG position when you don't even know if that guy is gonna play better. Look at how the Breno thing worked out, it was a mistake in hindsight. He wasn't bad, but we lost something at RT from the previous years. There's nothing to fix. You don't fix your O-Line issues (we DON'T have that, again) by signing a 80 mil. LT or RG. Those moves don't work out usually. O-Lines get better the longer they stay together, with good coaching. If we didn't have any other holes, sure, go pick up an elite Guard in the draft. Or Brick's future replacement at LT. But we have HUGE holes in other areas. We need a bigtime corner first and foremost. We have to re-sign Wilk. Harris is about to become a FA. We need a bigtime cover safety. A stud receiver. And oh by the way, a QB. A stud OLB who can go after the QB to take over for Pace/Babin. Like I said, leave the O-Line alone. We already have an elite rushing attack, they are blocking reasonably well in pass protection. It would be absolutely stupid to try to improve that instead of closing some of those huge holes we have elsewhere. O-Line is not a weakness. Cornerback is, QB is, OLB is, ILB is, WR might be but we could probably get by there with a big 2nd or 3rd round receiver a la Moncrief to compete with Kerley, Harvin and the rest for playing time.

It's NEVER a bad idea solidifying the OL. I have no idea why they walked away from it after Faneca, Woody, Moore. Especially since that was when Mangold and Brick were in their prime. ******* stupid.

Because they signed Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez to big contracts and because they were getting old. Problem was they never replaced them with anyone competent, and Sachez was getting killed back there. It took them till Austin Howard to replace Damien Woody, and they still don't have anyone nearly as good as Moore. At the same time we said goodbye to Slausen, Braylon and Cotchery., LT, Richardson, and Keller to that list and it's clear why we never saw the playoffs again. Within a few years only Brick and Mangold were left from that team. This is how Tannenbaum/destroyed the offense. Idzik destroyed the CBs. So here we are a 4 and 12 team.

Fix WHAT exactly? This isn't a video game, you can't have 23 year old studs with big contracts at every position. WHAT do you want to fix? We had the best rushing attack in the NFL last time I checked. Not sure where we finished, probably still in the top 3. The pass protection has been decent. What's there to fix? Be specific! Don't just say "oh let's sign people!!!". What position do you want to upgrade? LT? Not gonna happen. C? Not gonna happen. RT? Not gonna happen. So that leaves both guard spots. LG? We could bring in a big name free agent, sure. But Aboushi has played reasonably well for somebody who had to step in in the middle of the season. I actually liked what I've seen from him. He's making no money, he played decent, he should be our starting LG going into next season. RG? Again, Colon is a solid guard, he's fairly young, he doesn't make much money. He's a great leader and very well liked in the locker room. The only thing that might get him benched are the ridiculous amount of penalties, but outside of that? It makes no sense to hand somebody else a 70 mil. contract just to upgrade the RG position when you don't even know if that guy is gonna play better. Look at how the Breno thing worked out, it was a mistake in hindsight. He wasn't bad, but we lost something at RT from the previous years. There's nothing to fix. You don't fix your O-Line issues (we DON'T have that, again) by signing a 80 mil. LT or RG. Those moves don't work out usually. O-Lines get better the longer they stay together, with good coaching. If we didn't have any other holes, sure, go pick up an elite Guard in the draft. Or Brick's future replacement at LT. But we have HUGE holes in other areas. We need a bigtime corner first and foremost. We have to re-sign Wilk. Harris is about to become a FA. We need a bigtime cover safety. A stud receiver. And oh by the way, a QB. A stud OLB who can go after the QB to take over for Pace/Babin. Like I said, leave the O-Line alone. We already have an elite rushing attack, they are blocking reasonably well in pass protection. It would be absolutely stupid to try to improve that instead of closing some of those huge holes we have elsewhere. O-Line is not a weakness. Cornerback is, QB is, OLB is, ILB is, WR might be but we could probably get by there with a big 2nd or 3rd round receiver a la Moncrief to compete with Kerley, Harvin and the rest for playing time.

Tallk about not being specific....and where does 80M come from. So let me be specific, Colon needs to go, so let's draft an OG who also happens to be the best LT in the draft. Perhaps even trade back. I agree don't spend money on other FA on OL. Sign a vet QB, sign a CB, perhaps Harvin. With Winston, Mariotta gone, draft a 2nd, or 3rd Round QB. Draft another CB, Inside and outside LB. We have young serviceable safeties, not to mention 2nd year players that can fill the gaps as well.

Tallk about not being specific....and where does 80M come from. So let me be specific, Colon needs to go, so let's draft an OG who also happens to be the best LT in the draft. Perhaps even trade back. I agree don't spend money on other FA on OL. Sign a vet QB, sign a CB, perhaps Harvin. With Winston, Mariotta gone, draft a 2nd, or 3rd Round QB. Draft another CB, Inside and outside LB. We have young serviceable safeties, not to mention 2nd year players that can fill the gaps as well.

He lost me at Colon, lol.

Washed up 2 years ago when he was dumped by a Steeler team that's Oline is playing really well so Big Ben is now tearing teams new Aholes. Disagree with you about not signing a FA Olineman, Iupati should be a #1 target for the Jets (a much younger 26 year old Faneca). We got Faneca at the end of his career, Iupati is in his prime which makes me think the 49ers will do whatever they can to keep him.

Colon is a solid guard in his prime, well respected in the locker room, barely makes any money. Go create your All Madden team on the PS4 if that's what you want. We can't have studs at every position, when do guys like you get it? Whether you like it or not, you NEED guys like Colon. He's not a liability, he gets the job done. Period. The Patriots don't have studs in their O-Line, they have guys in there that get the job done! The O-Line situation is fine. MOVE ON. Cornerback is a big issue. Quarterback is. Safety is. Linebacker is. The O-Line IS NOT. Especially not when you have decent pass protection and an elite rushing attack. Good God. Hey, we have an elite rushing attack, let's upgrade the O-Line some more! Brilliant! It's not enough that we're already among the best teams running the ball, we have to be by far the best team. Seriously. Focus on closing the holes you have first before you try to get better at the things you already do well.

Colon is a solid guard in his prime, well respected in the locker room, barely makes any money. Go create your All Madden team on the PS4 if that's what you want. We can't have studs at every position, when do guys like you get it? Whether you like it or not, you NEED guys like Colon. He's not a liability, he gets the job done. Period. The Patriots don't have studs in their O-Line, they have guys in there that get the job done! The O-Line situation is fine. MOVE ON. Cornerback is a big issue. Quarterback is. Safety is. Linebacker is. The O-Line IS NOT. Especially not when you have decent pass protection and an elite rushing attack. Good God. Hey, we have an elite rushing attack, let's upgrade the O-Line some more! Brilliant! It's not enough that we're already among the best teams running the ball, we have to be by far the best team. Seriously. Focus on closing the holes you have first before you try to get better at the things you already do well.

So still waiting for you to be specific.  It's easy to talk when you don't have to put names down.  Which QB, which CB, which S which LB? 

Give me either of the two top rookie QB's or Jake Locker, at CB I'll take Kareem Jackson or Byron Maxwell, at OLB I'll take Brian Orakpo or Jason Worilds and at safety I'll go with Devin McCourty who can also play corner. So there you go. Obviously those are all my top choices, it'll be impossible to bring them all in at once but there's at least a couple other great alternatives available if we can't land the big names.

By the way I have to correct myself on Colon. I didn't realize he's turning 32 now, I thought he was 27 or 28. Considering his age we should probably move on from him. Winters is a backup and Dozier...who knows, but he hasn't shown anything. So I guess we could bring in a new veteran guard who can play at a high level.

Give me either of the two top rookie QB's or Jake Locker, at CB I'll take Kareem Jackson or Byron Maxwell, at OLB I'll take Brian Orakpo or Jason Worilds and at safety I'll go with Devin McCourty who can also play corner. So there you go. Obviously those are all my top choices, it'll be impossible to bring them all in at once but there's at least a couple other great alternatives available if we can't land the big names.

By the way I have to correct myself on Colon. I didn't realize he's turning 32 now, I thought he was 27 or 28. Considering his age we should probably move on from him. Winters is a backup and Dozier...who knows, but he hasn't shown anything. So I guess we could bring in a new veteran guard who can play at a high level.

"WOW"

He lost me at Colon, lol.

Washed up 2 years ago when he was dumped by a Steeler team that's Oline is playing really well so Big Ben is now tearing teams new Aholes. Disagree with you about not signing a FA Olineman, Iupati should be a #1 target for the Jets (a much younger 26 year old Faneca). We got Faneca at the end of his career, Iupati is in his prime which makes me think the 49ers will do whatever they can to keep him.

All I was saying with Iupati is that if we're going to draft Scherff, then Iupati isn't as important, but I would love to have both.   Colon isn't getting any better and he wasn't great to start with.  Brick is expensive and declining as well.  Also run blocking is only part of the equation.   He can throw out all the statistics he wants, but realistically you need a really good OL to make it deep into the playoffs.  This is one of the Patriots downfalls, and the Broncos last year.  When we had 4 former pro bowlers on our line (Mangold, Brick, Woody, Moore) we went to the AFCCG 2 years in a row.  He also loses me on the following as well:

• You can't have stars at every position.  My comment: I was only discussing one position.
  • We need a QB.  Great! who did he have in mind?  If Mariotta/Winston is there, then we go for it, if not what's the plan?  I suggest 2/3 round and a serviceable free agent.
  • We need a CB.  Agreed, but again who?  This is a draft that is weak on first round CBs and aside from Revis the free agent list is weak as well.
  • We need a S.  Between Pryor, Allen, Jarrett we have a start, and they're young and improving.  Max we have one spot to fill and you can pick up safeties throughout the draft. 
  • We need a WR.  If the Jets sign Iupati that frees them up to draft a Cooper in Rd. 1, but we may choose to stay with Harvin, or draft someone like Beckham. 
  • We need a LB.  Pace is older so we need to have a plan for him.  If we lose Harris then ILB could be a position of need, but we do have some young guys who can fill in.  ILB are also available in later rounds.

Bottom line is based on the talent available the best available athlete may be on the OL in the draft.  After Mariotta/Winston no other QB is worth a 1st round pick.  No CB is worth an early first round pick.  No S is worth an early first round pick.  There are WR, OLB/DE and OL that are worth the pick and an argument can be made that OL is the most important out of those 3, but depending on what we do in free agency things could change.

Great you can have all those guys and we can draft Scherff, to backfill Colon and move to LT when Brick moves on in a year, or two.

Great you can have all those guys and we can draft Scherff, to backfill Colon and move to LT when Brick moves on in a year, or two.

In that list I think if we get 1 QB (not sure if Locker should be the guy), 1 CB, 1 OLB we'd fix alot of our issues.  That would probably eliminate Iupati, but as I said we can draft Scherff, or Cooper in Round 1 and QB/Safety in later rounds.  We'll need to make an early decision on Harvin.  If we sign him to an extension, we can wait on WR.

One more comment, Brick will count $11.7M against the CAP which is the highest on the Jets.  That will free up some $ to do something on the OL.

Archived