Chip Kelly Staying or Going?

C Mart

You know what TS, the fish rots from the head down.

Only reason Rex and Rob are still in the NFL, is because of Buddy.

Between the 3 of them, they'd be lucky to have an IQ of 100.

Funny that Woody ignored Ozzie and still hired Rex as HC.

Same 'Ole Jets.

True. I think once a coach gets to the coordinator level and has an iota of success, they stick around for decades. Hell, Brian Schottenheimer still has a job.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the funny thing ... Kelly has yet to win a playoff game and ya'll are acting like he's some kind of God...

We've said for a while we want a known quantity this time, a guy HC experience, not an "up and comer".  If Chip ends up on the market, only he and Marrone fit the bill unless you're looking for a pipe dream like Cowher.  There's no HC out there that's won something who is coming available anytime soon.  Chip has shown he has the foundational skills that suggest he MIGHT win something down the road.

No one is saying Chip is the next Vince Lombardi.  Only that he's had some success early on in his career and that we have a decent idea of what we'd be getting out of him.  If he comes available we'd be absolute morons to not throw everything we can at trying to get him.    

To me that would be preferable to a candidate like Quinn or Bowles, two defense guys with no HC experience.  I.E. same old same old in Jet-land.  We need someone who can help turn the program around, not learn on the job.

I'm pretty sure Belichick and Chip Kelly are bros so I doubt Chip will come into Belichick's division.

Plus rumors were swirling a year ago that Chip Kelly's dream job is to eventually replace Belichick as the Patriots HC when the day comes the Hoodie hangs it up.

http://nesn.com/2013/01/chip-kelly-waiting-to-take-over-as-head-coach-of-patriots-according-to-oregonian-writer/

Just can't see the Jets ever getting Kelly

We've said for a while we want a known quantity this time, a guy HC experience, not an "up and comer". If Chip ends up on the market, only he and Marrone fit the bill unless you're looking for a pipe dream like Cowher.

Chip isn't on the market. Lurie caved and made him the GM and moved Roseman to VP Ops.

We've said for a while we want a known quantity this time, a guy HC experience, not an "up and comer". If Chip ends up on the market, only he and Marrone fit the bill unless you're looking for a pipe dream like Cowher.

like I said.. would love Kelly here... but his track record is worse the Rex's... had Rex let a talent like Desean go for zip T0mShane would've sh*t out his spleen

the funny thing ... Kelly has yet to win a playoff game and ya'll are acting like he's some kind of God...

I'd prefer him to Rex, I like offense, but Shane has achieved his goal of dumbing down the board

Sadly, I have to agree with you.  

like I said.. would love Kelly here... but his track record is worse the Rex's... 

How?  He took over a 3-13 team and has gone 20-12.  Too small a sample size to claim that either way.  Not that it matters if Shane is right about him getting more power in Philly.

Jeff McLane:

Roseman will be elevated to the role of Executive VP of Football Operations. Kelly will now oversee the player personnel department.

bizzare... he neutered kelly by firing gamble then does this ... know people in that org ... can't wait to find out what the deal is .. I guess Laurie caved when Kelly had a temper tantrum

bizzare... he neutered kelly by firing gamble then does this ... know people in that org ... can't wait to find out what the deal is .. I guess Laurie caved when Kelly had a temper tantrum

Had an interesting debate with a coworker today. Is it harder to find a coach or a GM?

Had an interesting debate with a coworker today. Is it harder to find a coach or a GM?

Probably equally difficult.  At any given time it seems that there is an equal number of quality coaches as there are GM's.  And that probably has something to do with quality GM's knowing which HC's to hire and/or keep around.  Also has something to do with an owner being solid as well.

How?  He took over a 3-13 team and has gone 20-12.  Too small a sample size to claim that either way.  Not that it matters if Shane is right about him getting more power in Philly.

But the guy he replaced took over a 2-14 team and also has gone 20-12, NO? 

Probably equally difficult. At any given time it seems that there is an equal number of quality coaches as there are GM's. And that probably has something to do with quality GM's knowing which HC's to hire and/or keep around.

Yeah, that's what I argued. The GM has to be great in the HR role first and foremost, but the head coach has more immediate impact. Both jobs suck.

harder to find a Qb :)

But I'd say GM... I honestly believe at this level the delta between a good coach and a bad one isn't as big as we might think .. there are exceptions of course, but generally...

talent wins and I'd put a premium on finding it particularly within the construct of a cap

also good GM will find a good coach eventually ..

True.  I don't think anyone can make the argument that Andy Reid is a bad HC.  His time in Philly simply ran its course.

Rex ran its course here too, thanks to Idzik, the evil, wicked, malicious, malignant, cunning, sob.  In his mind he thought he was getting rid of Rex after the 2013 season as everybody predicted a two win season, at best.  Rex won eight games in spite of the POS who gave him a few piece on defense and nothing on offense.   2014 season was Idzik's revenge when he forced Rex to play a six round safety and a career back up at CB while saving Woody 25 Million.  It was as if nobody knew his intentions of getting rid of Rex.  It backfired on his azz.  BTW, CHEERS for the guys behind the fireidzik.com   :penguin: 

Archived