Guessing already: No on Larry Fitzgerald?

SenorGato

The team that signs Fitz will be one that thinks they're a WR away from a championship. Probably lets the Jets out.

There is also exactly zero chance that Fitz signs with the Jets if he has any other alternative in remotely the same financial ballpark, given how much money he's made over the course of his career, his desire to win, and how beat down he is from years of losing/bad QB play.

In other words, we'd have to severely overpay for a 32 year old WR on the decline at a time when we have no QB.  Anyone really want to sign up for that?

LOfrickenL, Gato. It would be football stupid for the Jets to do that. Woody has enough money to do fine even if the team does blow limited resources (cap room) on a declining WR without having a QB. But the Jets as a team would be worse off

I mean, not really. Slightly less room to work with than Revis because Wilkerson is due for an extension, but the Jets have a ton of money to spend and no one to spend it on over the next couple years. As this is the NFL you're not really committed to anything more than a year or two on these guys anyway, after which he can be unceremoniously released.

I mean, not really. Slightly less room to work with than Revis because Wilkerson is due for an extension, but the Jets have a ton of money to spend and no one to spend it on over the next couple years. As this is the NFL you're not really committed to anything more than a year or two on these guys anyway, after which he can be unceremoniously released.

Wilkerson. Richardson (due for an extension after this year). Coples (due for an extension after playing in the 4-3 under a new coach). Davis (ditto). Harrison (RFA, will need to be signed to a significant deal either this offseason or next). Stopgap veteran QB. Mike Iupati (if we're spending money this offseason, and we should be, that's the guy to target, not Fitzgerald) or someone in that range of salary/skill at OG. A passrushing OLB (if we're playing 3-4) like Houston (he'll get franchised, but if not ...), Worrilds, Orakpo, Graham, Reed, or DE (if we're playing the 4-3) like Hardy, Hughes, Pierre-Paul, etc.  David Harris or an ILB if we're staying in the 3-4, a 4-3 OLB if we aren't.  Potentially (hopefully) 2 starting quality CBs (can't count on either Miliner or McDougal to stay healthy, and if they do then our defensive backfield would be stacked).  A competent cover safety to pair with Pryor - poaching McCourty would be nice. 

We've got a huge shopping list and plenty of players out there to choose from (except at QB and potentially guard).  Even if we cut Percy, it's not to spend equivalent money on a better than average but no longer great possession WR when we have no QB.

Wilkerson. Richardson (due for an extension after this year). Coples (due for an extension after playing in the 4-3 under a new coach). Davis (ditto). Harrison (RFA, will need to be signed to a significant deal either this offseason or next). Stopgap veteran QB. Mike Iupati (if we're spending money this offseason, and we should be, that's the guy to target, not Fitzgerald) or someone in that range of salary/skill at OG. A passrushing OLB (if we're playing 3-4) like Houston (he'll get franchised, but if not ...), Worrilds, Orakpo, Graham, Reed, or DE (if we're playing the 4-3) like Hardy, Hughes, Pierre-Paul, etc.  David Harris or an ILB if we're staying in the 3-4, a 4-3 OLB if we aren't.  Potentially (hopefully) 2 starting quality CBs (can't count on either Miliner or McDougal to stay healthy, and if they do then our defensive backfield would be stacked).  A competent cover safety to pair with Pryor - poaching McCourty would be nice. 

We've got a huge shopping list and plenty of players out there to choose from (except at QB and potentially guard).  Even if we cut Percy, it's not to spend equivalent money on a better than average but no longer great possession WR when we have no QB.

Solid post, with an understanding that the jets won't always be 40 mill under the cap and have to look at the future also. It is a great opportunity to front load contracts of the FA or Wilk that yu do sign.

Tell him he's full of sh*t. Besides, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson etc. are always in the top 10 when it comes to dropped passes. Fitzgerald rarely, if ever, has been up there. His hands are about as good as it gets in football.

Fitz game speed has slowed down last several yrs and he doesnt have Andre or Calvin's size.

Fitz game speed has slowed down last several yrs and he doesnt have Andre or Calvin's size.

Fitz is plenty fast, watch the 80 yard TD he had this year when the DB's couldn't catch him in a foot race. "His game slowed down" is one of those excuses that people bring up when they can't point to anything specific that made a players numbers go down. I guess Boldin the burner who lives off his crazy speed also slowed down in Baltimore before they got rid of him only to dominate years later with the 49ers. Fitz is still a good #1 receiver in my book, there's nothing that I've seen in his game that would change my mind at this point. His route running is still elite, he still has elite hands, he stil plays very fast, his cuts when running a route to get seperation from DB's are so explosive he's hard to cover in the slot and it showed with a few bigplays he made there and why they moved him inside. But you can get a lot more out of him at this point, he's no Boldin, yet. He still has a couple of years as a quality outside receiver left a la Andre Johnson. Who by the way is just a possession receiver at this point as well, and has been for a couple of years now.

Either way, like I said, I wouldn't mind us going after Fitz this offseason. He's a young QB's best friend, dependable as it gets, doesn't talk, off the charts intangibles, he leads by example, he makes everyone around him better, the young receivers see him as a legend and will pick his brain. He brings just so much more to the table than just catching footballs. Guys like that are worth their weight in gold when times get rough, especially here in NY when the media tries to stir the pot after every game to create some headlines. But of course financially he has to lower his demands. Something along the lines: 3 years for around 15-18 mil. and around 8 mil. guaranteed a la Roddy White this past offseason. We'll see I guess. Percy has to be dealt with first...

Fitz is plenty fast, watch the 80 yard TD he had this year when the DB's couldn't catch him in a foot race. "His game slowed down" is one of those excuses that people bring up when they can't point to anything specific that made a players numbers go down. I guess Boldin the burner who lives off his crazy speed also slowed down in Baltimore before they got rid of him only to dominate years later with the 49ers. Fitz is still a good #1 receiver in my book, there's nothing that I've seen in his game that would change my mind at this point. His route running is still elite, he still has elite hands, he stil plays very fast, his cuts when running a route to get seperation from DB's are so explosive he's hard to cover in the slot and it showed with a few bigplays he made there and why they moved him inside. But you can get a lot more out of him at this point, he's no Boldin, yet. He still has a couple of years as a quality outside receiver left a la Andre Johnson. Who by the way is just a possession receiver at this point as well, and has been for a couple of years now.

Either way, like I said, I wouldn't mind us going after Fitz this offseason. He's a young QB's best friend, dependable as it gets, doesn't talk, off the charts intangibles, he leads by example, he makes everyone around him better, the young receivers see him as a legend and will pick his brain. He brings just so much more to the table than just catching footballs. Guys like that are worth their weight in gold when times get rough, especially here in NY when the media tries to stir the pot after every game to create some headlines. But of course financially he has to lower his demands. Something along the lines: 3 years for around 15-18 mil. and around 8 mil. guaranteed a la Roddy White this past offseason. We'll see I guess. Percy has to be dealt with first...

I think Fitz gets at least that. Where he lands may be Denver, If Thomas is pried away. or GB if Cobb leaves. He may want to go to a team that can pad his numbers for the HOF

I like your take on him being a young qbs best friend. I made a similar statement regarding the possibility of Vincent Jackson being traded from Tampa when they are bringing in a rookie qb. Also as you noted he is a consummate pro who a new coach can rely on to set a tone in the locker room.

You are literally the only person who doesnt think Fitz has lost a step

You are literally the only person who doesnt think Fitz has lost a step

You are literally the only person who thinks I said that. I said that he's still plenty fast and that he plays fast. Not that it actually matters whether he lost a step or not. That doesn't keep guys like Boldin, Wayne, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith & co. from producing.

Extensions shouldn't be an issue. Richardson is cheap until hitting FA in 2017, not a priority to extend him this coming season. Same goes for everyone there but Wilkerson.. If Harrison can be extended next offseason then next offseson it is. Not sure extensions should be too much of an issue.

Depends on how they go about FA from there - I agree on Iupati, they should def sign a CB (as in bring back Revis), but after that there's some flexibility.

Do agree that it's a longshot because there's better options for him, but do think the Jets could squeeze a move like this.

Archived