What is the actual Job of an NFL GM

Tinstar

In my humble opinion it is to run the Football portion of an NFL Franchise. To that end, it's to:

Hire hire the HC.

Organize the scouting department

Assist the HC in the formation of a coaching staff

Add talent to the team via the Draft and Free agency that fits the program agreed upon by both the GM and the HC at his hire.

Managed the salary cap

Are we agreed or do ye see it different ?

I agree, but must he hire, hire the HC twice? I think the HC hires his own staff with little or no input from the GM - that is not his province. Also the GM manages the salary cap in present tense and yes, he runs the draft and free agency with input from the HC. After all he has to coach these guys and you can't have a GM drafting or signing players the HC can't get anything out of.

In my humble opinion it is to run the Football portion of an NFL Franchise. To that end, it's to:

Hire hire the HC.

Organize the scouting department

Assist the HC in the formation of a coaching staff

Add talent to the team via the Draft and Free agency that fits the program agreed upon by both the GM and the HC at his hire.

Managed the salary cap

Are we agreed or do ye see it different ?

I agree with the items listed, and I think "manage the cap" is rightfully the lowest priority. You can hire experts for that, and put them on staff. I don't need a cap guru in the top seat, I need an organizational and talent guru there. He just needs to know what to look for in a cap guy and have a cap philosophy that supports the other items on your list.

Finding new ways to screw over Rex Ryan every day. Obviously.

So Rex had no say in who was handed to him as players when He was Handed to the GM as the HC.

I like the way this new front office is coming in.

Owner hires the GM

GM Hires the HC

HC and GM hires a staff

HC runs the Team

Staff develops the players in the plan of the HC

GM provides the HC with players that fit the Plan both men agreed upon.

Idzik was sabotaged.

I agree with the items listed, and I think "manage the cap" is rightfully the lowest priority. You can hire experts for that, and put them on staff. I don't need a cap guru in the top seat, I need an organizational and talent guru there. He just needs to know what to look for in a cap guy and have a cap philosophy that supports the other items on your list.

No doubt the Tuna felt that way as well..

Lots of other things not mentioned such as direct player personnel, deal with off field issues, medical plans, emergencies, logistics, mentor programs, counseling, also in Jets case working with Glat on business issues, literature, player profiles, etc,,,GMs are known for FA and Draft and cap but they really are GENERAL managers, basically everything that affects the team

Archived