Should Jets Consider Bills Castoff Mike Williams?

JetNation

NY Jets Helmet

By Glenn Naughton

As Jets fans continue discussing the rumored release of wide receiver Percy Harvin, JetNation.com takes a look at one possible replacement likely to be viewed as a gamble, but who could be worth considering as the Jets begin adding pieces for new coordinator Chan Gailey and his offense.

When the Buffalo Bills released wide receiver Mike Williams in December, it brought an end to what had been a bizarre two-year stretch for the once-promising wideout.

Selected in the fourth round of the 2010 draft (101st overall) out of Syracuse, Williams appeared to be well on his way to a long, productive career following three stellar seasons with the Bucs.  From 2010-2012, the 6′ 2” 210 lb Williams registered 193 catches for 2,700 yards and 23 touchdowns.  He was rewarded for his production in July of 2013 when Tampa signed him to a six-year, $40.25 million contract.  Since that point, it’s been all downhill for the 27 year old.

Just six weeks into the 2013 season Williams was placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury that limited his production to a mere 216 yards on 22 catches.  That off-season, as a result of multiple off-field incidents, the most concerning of which involved Williams being stabbed by his brother, Tampa Bay sent the receiver packing to his native Buffalo.

The Bills acquired Williams in exchange for just a sixth round draft selection in April as they hoped a return to his home town while reuniting him with his college coach, Doug Marrone, would eliminate any off-field issues.

There was reason for optimism during the pre-season as Williams appeared to be building a rapport with second-year quarterback EJ Manuel.  In the team’s penultimate pre-season game, often treated as a “dress rehearsal” for a team’s starters, Manuel and Williams connected three times for 46 yards, including a 20 yard touchdown strike in limited action.

Once the games counted however, there was little production from Williams as Manuel struggled through the first four weeks of the season. Determined to make a playoff run, Marrone turned to veteran back-up Kyle Orton where there were rumored to be issues between him and Williams from the outset.   “There was some talk about Orton approaching his receivers about maybe coming in on a Tuesday to do some extra work and Williams wouldn’t want to get involved” according to Howard Simon of WGR 550 radio in Buffalo.  “They were using Williams a lot in pre-season and he looked okay early on but then his playing time decreased and he was suddenly a healthy scratch.  From what we were hearing, it was more of a work ethic issue with Williams”.

Rex Ryan’s replacement Todd Bowles is said to be a players’ coach with a willingness to be stern when a situation calls for it.  Sometimes a move like this is worth it as we saw last season when the Baltimore Ravens brought in the controversial Steve Smith who went on to become a key cog in their offensive attack, launching them from 25th in points per game in 2013, to 8th in 2014.

The super bowl champion Patriots are another example of overlooking questionable commitment if it means improving the 53-man roster. New England signed running back Lagarette Blount just days after being let go by the Pittsburgh Steelers last season for walking out on his team during a game in protest of his lack of playing time.  Blount would go on to earn a ring as the Patriots leading rusher in the post-season.

While the thought of bringing in a player with a questionable work ethic would be a legitimate concern to some, should the Jets give Bowles a shot to work with Williams in hopes of finding a bargain, and getting his career back on track?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
8P4qWkwcZ9k

View the full article

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMFG! An 8 page thread of many of you trying to argue that Percy Harvin is a good idea. Now Mike Williams? How many monumental jerk WRs can some of you want?

I hear Rae Carruth is getting out of jail soon. Maybe Aaron Hernandez will be acquitted?

lol, this.

lol@ mire productive.. C'mon now. I realize Harvin wasnt all Tha productive this year but if you think he can do what Harvin does on the field, you are blind.

Not this season....career when healthy and on the field.

I don't think Baltimore picking up Steve Smith is comparable. Smith may be a douche, but I've don't remember reading that the guy has been lacking in his work ethic at any time in his career.

and Blount?

He will be a steal at vet minimum I would give him a camp invite for sure, we have nothing to lose but he has everything to gain.

I respect what others are thinking, but this is pretty much where I'm at.  Sign him to a cheap deal that allows you to cut him if he's an issue, and if he gets his act together, the Jets get a bargain for once.

Not this season....career when healthy and on the field.

Mike W. had less catches and barely more yards than Harvin comparing their first 3 years.. not much difference besides Harvin is WAY more electric with the ball in his hands. If you factor in Harvin's injuries/missing games for the Vikings his first three, while Mike was on the field more.. it isn't hard to tell Harvin is the better player.

Mike W. had less catches and barely more yards than Harvin comparing their first 3 years.. not much difference besides Harvin is WAY more electric with the ball in his hands. If you factor in Harvin's injuries/missing games for the Vikings his first three, while Mike was on the field more.. it isn't hard to tell Harvin is the better player.

Likely to be an $8 mil dollar difference in salary...that much difference in talent/production?

Guys.. again. New, first time head coach. Shaky QB situation with a potential rookie in play. Not the environment for WRs with very poor character. IE: Harvin and Williams.

This is not Madden. These are real people that have to work together 6 days a week for countless hours for several months. Bowles has to earn the respect of 53 guys and get them to buy into his vision during what will likely be a losing season. One or two bad seeds can, and will, wreck that.

Guys.. again. New, first time head coach. Shaky QB situation with a potential rookie in play. Not the environment for WRs with very poor character. IE: Harvin and Williams.

This is not Madden. These are real people that have to work together 6 days a week for countless hours for several months. Bowles has to earn the respect of 53 guys and get them to buy into his vision. One or two bad seeds can wreck that.

So of the 53 guys on the roster, they'll all be choir boys?

So of the 53 guys on the roster, they'll all be choir boys?

Are you even old enough to have a job? Have you ever worked with someone that destroyed the moral of the entire office? Seriously, that is Harvin and Williams. The Jets have enough problems without clowns that dont buy into anyone else's program but their own. This is a simple concept.

Are you even old enough to have a job? Have you ever worked with someone that destroyed the moral of the entire office? Seriously, that is Harvin and Williams. The Jets have enough problems without clowns that dont buy into anyone else's program but their own. This is a simple concept.

You could have simply said "yes, all choir boys"

and Blount?

It's a good comparison in some obvious ways. On the other hand, NE had prior experience with him (positive at that). He was offered the chance, after being cut by Pittsburgh, to get right back into the limelight with a SB contender in NE mid-season. I think it's different than the Jets signing Mike Williams, even if both Williams and Blount are both dickheads.

A closer comparison would be the Jets (or now the Bills) re-signing Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards (if either could still play). But neither was a troublemaker elsewhere who became a good soldier for the Jets who left because someone else offered more money, only to again become a lazy, poorly-performing troublemaker with that new team, and then became available again while he could still play but who no one else wanted (and while the Jets had a sudden hole at that position). I can't think of a former Jet offhand who truly fits this mold.

But the biggest difference between the Jets signing Williams and NE re-signing Blount is that NE was already familiar with what the player is and what he isn't. Plus it was 2/3 of the way through the season and FA and the draft were over long ago. They already were already familiar with him, he already knew the team and the coaches and the playbook, and if he was a dickhead with NE they'd have cut him loose and I'm sure he knew it. His behavior in Pittsburgh suggests a feeling of invincibility. Like, "They just signed me and paid me millions; they ain't cutting me now no matter what I do," aka "I am unbannable."

And you could admit that you dont need to work while not paying rent in your parents' basement.

Lots of time for Madden.

One day I'm gonna' realize my lifelong dream of joining the Air Force and you'll be sorry.

It's a good comparison in some obvious ways. On the other hand, NE had prior experience with him (positive at that). He was offered the chance, after being cut by Pittsburgh, to get right back into the limelight with a SB contender in NE mid-season. I think it's different than the Jets signing Mike Williams, even if both Williams and Blount are both dickheads.

A closer comparison would be the Jets (or now the Bills) re-signing Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards (if either could still play). But neither was a troublemaker elsewhere who became a good soldier for the Jets who left because someone else offered more money, only to again become a lazy, poorly-performing troublemaker with that new team, and then became available again while he could still play but who no one else wanted (and while the Jets had a sudden hole at that position). I can't think of a former Jet offhand who truly fits this mold.

But the biggest difference between the Jets signing Williams and NE re-signing Blount is that NE was already familiar with what the player is and what he isn't. Plus it was 2/3 of the way through the season and FA and the draft were over long ago. They already were already familiar with him, he already knew the team and the coaches and the playbook, and if he was a dickhead with NE they'd have cut him loose and I'm sure he knew it. His behavior in Pittsburgh suggests a feeling of invincibility. Like, "They just signed me and paid me millions; they ain't cutting me now no matter what I do," aka "I am unbannable."

Most appropriate comparisons depend on personal opinions.  If you like the idea of a low risk/high reward signing then you use Blount.  If you don't like the idea, you use Holmes/Edwards.  #humannature

One day I'm gonna' realize my lifelong dream of joining the Air Force and you'll be sorry.

I think that is a great dream. I hope you achieve it. But when you witness how one lousy jerk with a bad attitude can bring down your entire unit, I hope you realize how wrong you were about wanting Mike Williams.

I think that is a great dream. I hope you achieve it. But when you witness how one lousy jerk can bring down your entire unit, I hope you realize how wrong you were about wanting Mike Williams.

One day it will come true...but I have an uncle who is in the Air Force active duty and he tells me they have bad people in his squadron batallion but they're stilll really good.  If you try your best you can always be the goodest.

Most appropriate comparisons depend on personal opinions.  If you like the idea of a low risk/high reward signing then you use Blount.  If you don't like the idea, you use Holmes/Edwards.  #humannature

Blount was a desperation signing in November, when this former teammate's sudden availability was a perfect fit their in-season need at RB due to injury.

It's just different than the Jets signing a player they don't know firsthand.

Also if we're only looking to sign him to a vet minimum type deal we won't be the only intrigued team. But IMO we don't have the QB requisite to entice young, physically gifted (and previously successful) WRs to come here for a cheap, show-me type deal. Not unless literally no one else shows any interest.

Blount was a desperation signing in November, when this former teammate's sudden availability was a perfect fit their in-season need at RB due to injury.

It's just different than the Jets signing a player they don't know firsthand.

Also if we're only looking to sign him to a vet minimum type deal we won't be the only intrigued team. But IMO we don't have the QB requisite to entice young, physically gifted (and previously successful) WRs to come here for a cheap, show-me type deal. Not unless literally no one else shows any interest.

He's been a FA for months...literally no on else has shown interest.  What would they have to lose by bringing him in?

He's been a FA for months...literally no on else has shown interest.  What would they have to lose by bringing him in?

As camp fodder? Not much.

My point was more that I didn't think Steve Smith going to Baltimore was a similar situation or a good comparison. Smith is a hard-working smurf veteran WR past his prime, who's a dick. Williams is a lazy, young, physical specimen WR with some past success, who SHOULD be enjoying the prime of his career but who no one wants, and who is also a dick.

But I don't have a problem with us bringing him in with no guaranteed money up front. If he acts up it'll be good for Bowles to make an example out of him in front of his new team.

There could be some other problems he has that I don't know about that would have me pass on him no matter how cheap, but let him compete like he's a UDFA. If he's learned nothing the past 2 seasons then we dump him early.

OMFG! An 8 page thread of many of you trying to argue that Percy Harvin is a good idea. Now Mike Williams? How many monumental jerk WRs can some of you want?

I hear Rae Carruth is getting out of jail soon. Maybe Aaron Hernandez will be acquitted?

I've noticed you in a lot of posts have a hate for Percy, after he got traded all of his teammates gave him support and those reports of him being a bad teammate were never justified. Aside from the fight with him and Golden Tate (who was the antagonizer apparently and they let him go to FA), there was nothing else reported. He never caused a stirrup here, why are you so against him? 

To be clear, I'm not advocating that we keep Percy. Money is the reason he'll be cut, not because he's a "monumental jerk". 

Archived