Lions cut Reggie Bush

Morrissey

I think Bowles would like a few big play guys.  When you do not have a big play QB, find some guys who can take it to the house once in a while.  Good QBs can get big play guys out of regular players.  Bush is past his take it to the house self.

Because Albert Haynesworth, Chad Johnson, and Brandon Lloyd aren't available.

Fred Taylor

Chris Calloway

Raymont Harris

Bert Emanuel

Torrance Small

Bryan Cox

Shaun Ellis

Victor Green

Larry Centers

JJ Stokes

Fred Baxter

Amps Zereoue

Tim Dwight

Chad Brown

Duane Starks

Ray Mickens

Junior Seau

Donte Stallworth

LaMont Jordan

Deltha O'Neal

Joey Galloway

...dozens more

Christ, no wonder they had to cheat.

Maybe, maybe not. But if it's such an easy task to draft a RB in the late rounds who could carry the load for a season, surely it's even easier to find a 3rd down back, no? 

I'm not saying Bush has nothing to offer, or that he isn't capable of having a stellar game here or there, but rather he's not as complete a player as he was anymore. He's always been injury-prone (as much or more than Spiller, anyway), is coming off another injury-riddled season, and at age 29 has some 9000 carries+receptions.

He's pretty beat up is all. It's a rough sport.

I love the draft a late RB and they will be ready off the bat argument.  Even the guys that love Powell have to admit that he was an abomination as a rookie. He looked like sh*t in the preseason and scared to carry the ball when he got it.  The couple of times he touched it he looked like he didn't know where to go and IIRC he had fumbling problems.  He has seemed better each year, but these guys are not automatic plug-ins.

I love the draft a late RB and they will be ready off the bat argument.  Even the guys that love Powell have to admit that he was an abomination as a rookie. He looked like sh*t in the preseason and scared to carry the ball when he got it.  The couple of times he touched it he looked like he didn't know where to go and IIRC he had fumbling problems.  He has seemed better each year, but these guys are not automatic plug-ins.

I think a lot of people forget how unusable Powell was as a rookie. He didn't even block well (on the field, later in the season) despite all the accolades about his blocking prowess going back to the summer.

RB is commonly thought to be one of the faster learning curve positions. I generally agree, but it doesn't mean even half of them - particularly round 5-7 picks - have any business on the field as rookies, except for some reps after the score and time remaining already makes the game effectively over. Not to mention as soon as a rookie RB badly misses his blocking assignment and the QB gets clobbered, non-desperate coaches and OCs commonly see to it he's nowhere near the field on any potential pass plays for at least a month. And even all that assumes this nameless, faceless, late round rookie RB can stay on the field himself for a full NFL season right away...or even makes the team.

Fred Taylor

Chris Calloway

Raymont Harris

Bert Emanuel

Torrance Small

Bryan Cox

Shaun Ellis

Victor Green

Larry Centers

JJ Stokes

Fred Baxter

Amps Zereoue