Jets Should Work to Retain Harvin

JetNation

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're mandated to spend money, yes.  

If not on Percy, then who? All the A list Free agents are already locked up. the Jets have 2 good players in Mo and Sheldon that deserve an extension. They have something ridiculous like 50 mil to spend to get to the floor. 

you want to extend mo and make a splash next season... why would you think there's players willing to come here next year? There werent any this year? Will another year of losing make this such a hot destination? 

that's why they traded for Brandon marshall. and Harvin. Traded players don't have a say in their fate. Those who have a choice don't choose NYJ. there's no reason to. 

the Jets drafted 3 WR last year 2 of them 4th rounders and they weren't worth a pile of beans -

Cause let's be real no one else is showing up anyway.

If don't end up locking up a true impact guy then Mac would have no choice but keeping him...It would look terrible if he missed on the all the big name corners again and didn't spend all the money.  It's gotta be spent somewhere.

It's not a 4th rounder to keep him. It's a 6th becoming a 4th. We get the 6th back if we hang onto him. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th. Ergo, the 6th round of draft is the magic round.

Yes, I've repeated that myself in many posts. While 100% true, the reality also remains that moving from our 6th to our 4th would require (and would therefore have) the value of a mid-4th round pick. If kept, we could trade down 15 slots from that pick and recoup that 6th rounder. And at that stage of the draft, it could be done with ease.

It is a 4th round pick we would be surrendering, not some intangible downgrade of virtually no value.

If you were talking about the downgrade from a late 4th to a high 5th then we can speak of the value in being semantics because that downgrade has the value of a late 7th rounder (essentially, no tangible value at all).

I don't think a 4th rounder is all that. I was even ok with hanging onto Harvin until we see what happens with our #6 overall pick since there was a high probability we take a WR there. And even after that, say if we did take Cooper or White, we could still hang onto Harvin through the summer for free after that. If he acts up, or if the rookie shows he's ready to start immediately, then cut him. But don't talk of the value of a 4th as being similar to a 6th because once upon a time 15 years ago something Tom Brady.

Bringing in Marshall makes it an unnecessary expense. If we're so hell-bent on spending another near-$11M on a player then go sign someone who will be a full time starter for us for years to come. But make it a position where we actually have a huge hole, not just spend it because cap room is temporarily there and money burns a hole in our pockets.

It's not even like he's shown to be a good teammate (or even reliable physically) in his prior stops. That attitude of his will not improve if he's going to be relegated to backup and "x-factor" for a QB-less Jets team, on what will be (for Harvin) an audition show-me contract. He's going to be pissy because he's going to blame his 2015 situation for costing him many more millions in the future than he's getting paid now. Even when Seattle gave him this moronic contract in the first place, they did it for him to be an every-down starter and their go-to receiver wherever it was he lined up. When he wasn't, they dumped him as soon as they could. 

I was ok with it when we had nothing else and didn't want to get painted into a corner with our #6 pick. Trading him for Brandon Marshall makes him unnecessary.

If not on Percy, then who? All the A list Free agents are already locked up. the Jets have 2 good players in Mo and Sheldon that deserve an extension. They have something ridiculous like 50 mil to spend to get to the floor. 

you want to extend mo and make a splash next season... why would you think there's players willing to come here next year? There werent any this year? Will another year of losing make this such a hot destination? 

that's why they traded for Brandon marshall. and Harvin. Traded players don't have a say in their fate. Those who have a choice don't choose NYJ. there's no reason to. 

You edited out the part of my post where I said who. 

Players will not stay away from here or anywhere because we're the Jets. They'll go wherever they get paid highest, and NYC is a draw for rich players even when we're terrible, no matter how much of a complex you have about the team. And I don't think that is a remotely wise reason to re-sign a historical malcontent, only to relegate him to non-starter status in what will be a tryout/show-me season for a new long-term contract with guarantees.

I think it's delusional to think he won't be a headache. He was too much for Seattle to handle, in the middle of a superbowl run, because he wouldn't shut the hell up about the manner in which the reigning superbowl coach was using him. Even overwhelming team success can't get this kid to behave himself. Didn't he punch one of his teammates in the face between the NFCCG and the superbowl?

Yes, I've repeated that myself in many posts. While 100% true, the reality also remains that moving from our 6th to our 4th would require (and would therefore have) the value of a mid-4th round pick. If kept, we could trade down 15 slots from that pick and recoup that 6th rounder. And at that stage of the draft, it could be done with ease.

It is a 4th round pick we would be surrendering, not some intangible downgrade of virtually no value.

If you were talking about the downgrade from a late 4th to a high 5th then we can speak of the value in being semantics because that downgrade has the value of a late 7th rounder (essentially, no tangible value at all).

I don't think a 4th rounder is all that. I was even ok with hanging onto Harvin until we see what happens with our #6 overall pick since there was a high probability we take a WR there. And even after that, say if we did take Cooper or White, we could still hang onto Harvin through the summer for free after that. If he acts up, or if the rookie shows he's ready to start immediately, then cut him. But don't talk of the value of a 4th as being similar to a 6th because once upon a time 15 years ago something Tom Brady.

Bringing in Marshall makes it an unnecessary expense. If we're so hell-bent on spending another near-$11M on a player then go sign someone who will be a full time starter for us for years to come. But make it a position where we actually have a huge hole, not just spend it because cap room is temporarily there and money burns a hole in our pockets.

It's not even like he's shown to be a good teammate (or even reliable physically) in his prior stops. That attitude of his will not improve if he's going to be relegated to backup and "x-factor" for a QB-less Jets team, on what will be (for Harvin) an audition show-me contract. He's going to be pissy because he's going to blame his 2015 situation for costing him many more millions in the future than he's getting paid now. Even when Seattle gave him this moronic contract in the first place, they did it for him to be an every-down starter and their go-to receiver wherever it was he lined up. When he wasn't, they dumped him as soon as they could. 

I was ok with it when we had nothing else and didn't want to get painted into a corner with our #6 pick. Trading him for Brandon Marshall makes him unnecessary.

I was kidding about the 6th round/Brady. Just a little sarcasm for those in the thread opining that the 4th round has some mystic quality to it. Your points about Harvin are exactly why I would rather have him on pay-as-you-go than long term deal (even if a good deal less money). Not disputing that he is a malcontent; the flexibility of cutting him without a cap hit is worth more than a couple mill imho, but that's easy to say since it isn't my money! Maybe I am higher on him that most but he is a gamebreaker. Marshall is a big target but at this point in his career I don't see him terrorizing the defense, but rather being more of a possession/red zone player like plax was when he got here. Harvin is someone that must be accounted for in multiple ways. I do not see Marshall as making Harvin superfluous, although an argument could be made that CJ Spiller would...

You edited out the part of my post where I said who. 

Players will not stay away from here or anywhere because we're the Jets. They'll go wherever they get paid highest, and NYC is a draw for rich players even when we're terrible, no matter how much of a complex you have about the team. And I don't think that is a remotely wise reason to re-sign a historical malcontent, only to relegate him to non-starter status in what will be a tryout/show-me season for a new long-term contract with guarantees.

I think it's delusional to think he won't be a headache. He was too much for Seattle to handle, in the middle of a superbowl run, because he wouldn't shut the hell up about the manner in which the reigning superbowl coach was using him. Even overwhelming team success can't get this kid to behave himself. Didn't he punch one of his teammates in the face between the NFCCG and the superbowl?

Yes he will almost assuredly be a headache with a longterm contract under his belt. I'd like to give him another year under play-as-you-go and see what happens. If we get a young QB, maybe they will click.

I was kidding about the 6th round/Brady. Just a little sarcasm for those in the thread opining that the 4th round has some mystic quality to it. Your points about Harvin are exactly why I would rather have him on pay-as-you-go than long term deal (even if a good deal less money). Not disputing that he is a malcontent; the flexibility of cutting him without a cap hit is worth more than a couple mill imho, but that's easy to say since it isn't my money! Maybe I am higher on him that most but he is a gamebreaker. Marshall is a big target but at this point in his career I don't see him terrorizing the defense, but rather being more of a possession/red zone player like plax was when he got here. Harvin is someone that must be accounted for in multiple ways. I do not see Marshall as making Harvin superfluous, although an argument could be made that CJ Spiller would...

Yes he will almost assuredly be a headache with a longterm contract under his belt. I'd like to give him another year under play-as-you-go and see what happens. If we get a young QB, maybe they will click.

No one has said or alluded to a 4th round pick has being anything of the sort, except by those who are asserting it has no value because of who we took while Bradway was our head scout or GM.

I think the addition of Marshall isn't merely a comparison of Marshall's skillset to Harvin's. It's that his addition means we aren't forced to take a WR at #6 (let alone force us into starting him if he's not ready yet, or a bust outright). Harvin is not needed to start no matter what happens (or no matter what doesn't happen) for us in the draft. If you want an x-factor type of player like that, then sign Spiller for $4-5M or even Vereen for $3M and keep the pick on top of that. And either of them would have a 3-year future here (if healthy) because they're in no jeopardy of becoming a cap casualty every year (as would the 4th rounder, most likely). Plus the lack of waste of resources for a player who wouldn't approach touching the football 75x for us, and possibly not even 50x, given how crowded our receiving corps is.

I think the comparison of Marshall to a post-incarceration Plaxico is a poor one. A WR isn't analogous to a 34 year-old Plaxico Burress simply because he isn't a burner and happens to also be tall. 

To your last line, I thought that might be a worthwhile risk (on a paygo deal) so we don't have no one opposite Decker again, and have that dictate what we do in the draft even if a better option is there for us. But that flexibility would swing both ways, in that we could dump him even before this season if we so desired.

Since the acquisition of Marshall, though, the insurance-policy aspect of Harvin's presence is eliminated.

If you want an mostly not-used "x-factor" type do-all receiver/back you don't burn a 4th round pick for 1 year of Percy Harvin, let alone for more $ than Nelson and Cobb each got from GB as their annual amount. 

Spiller, Vereen, Bush, Helu all fit that role. They're fast, quick, can all catch, and are more appropriate for the role of occasional big play even if none are as close as Harvin to being a true WR. But we don't need another dedicated WR anyway.

He, even McFadden might end up being well-suited for that type of more-limited role if he's willing to take it on. Putting him in space without the constant pounding he's ill-suited for, and he could actually have some big play potential that isn't there for him in tight quarters. It could extend his career as well and he wouldn't be in constant danger of being cut in favor of a younger and more effective kid to take handoffs. He turns 28 at the end of August and he can't command any serious guaranteed $ anyway if we see over the summer that he's a flop.

If you want an mostly not-used "x-factor" type do-all receiver/back you don't burn a 4th round pick for 1 year of Percy Harvin, let alone for more $ than Nelson and Cobb each got from GB as their annual amount. 

Spiller, Vereen, Bush, Helu all fit that role. They're fast, quick, can all catch, and are more appropriate for the role of occasional big play even if none are as close as Harvin to being a true WR. But we don't need another dedicated WR anyway.

He, even McFadden might end up being well-suited for that type of more-limited role if he's willing to take it on. Putting him in space without the constant pounding he's ill-suited for, and he could actually have some big play potential that isn't there for him in tight quarters. It could extend his career as well and he wouldn't be in constant danger of being cut in favor of a younger and more effective kid to take handoffs. He turns 28 at the end of August and he can't command any serious guaranteed $ anyway if we see over the summer that he's a flop.

why are you so concerned with saving money ? 

the Jets have to spend money 

time for saving is over 

So where exactly do you suggest the Jets spend the 50 mil they still HAVE to spend?   BTW thats not would like to spend, thats HAVE to spend?

I am all about cutting Harvin if we needed the money.

why are you so concerned with saving money ? 

the Jets have to spend money 

time for saving is over 

There is a difference between spending and wasting. You have never been able to discern the difference IMO.

The "time for saving is over" is not a mature way of managing a team. It is borne of emotion and impatience rather than prudence. There is nothing wrong with spending everything we have available if we're spending it on players that we need for the future. 

Teams with no QB do not intelligently go all-out on mega-expensive 1 year players. Also your position that no FA would willfully sign with the Jets if he wasn't already trapped into staying here is patently absurd, not to mention baseless (as usual).

There isn't a team in the NFL that would sign an $11M player to fill a part-time role (complete with an attitude and ego that has already shown malcontent for being used in such a role), and would surrender a 4th round pick for the privilege.

What one uses to get (or keep) one player ,one is not able to get or keep another (or on others, plural, given Harvin's current pricetag).

No one has said or alluded to a 4th round pick has being anything of the sort, except by those who are asserting it has no value because of who we took while Bradway was our head scout or GM.

I think the addition of Marshall isn't merely a comparison of Marshall's skillset to Harvin's. It's that his addition means we aren't forced to take a WR at #6 (let alone force us into starting him if he's not ready yet, or a bust outright). Harvin is not needed to start no matter what happens (or no matter what doesn't happen) for us in the draft. If you want an x-factor type of player like that, then sign Spiller for $4-5M or even Vereen for $3M and keep the pick on top of that. And either of them would have a 3-year future here (if healthy) because they're in no jeopardy of becoming a cap casualty every year (as would the 4th rounder, most likely). Plus the lack of waste of resources for a player who wouldn't approach touching the football 75x for us, and possibly not even 50x, given how crowded our receiving corps is.

I think the comparison of Marshall to a post-incarceration Plaxico is a poor one. A WR isn't analogous to a 34 year-old Plaxico Burress simply because he isn't a burner and happens to also be tall. 

To your last line, I thought that might be a worthwhile risk (on a paygo deal) so we don't have no one opposite Decker again, and have that dictate what we do in the draft even if a better option is there for us. But that flexibility would swing both ways, in that we could dump him even before this season if we so desired.

Since the acquisition of Marshall, though, the insurance-policy aspect of Harvin's presence is eliminated.

Not suggesting Marshall and Plax are/were same player "because they are both tall," that's a bit of a low blow strawman since it's not what I said. Marshall and Harvin will do different things, so again, I don't see as one determining the fate of the other.

There is a difference between spending and wasting. You have never been able to discern the difference IMO.

The "time for saving is over" is not a mature way of managing a team. It is borne of emotion and impatience rather than prudence. There is nothing wrong with spending everything we have available if we're spending it on players that we need for the future. 

Teams with no QB do not intelligently go all-out on mega-expensive 1 year players. Also your position that no FA would willfully sign with the Jets if he wasn't already trapped into staying here is patently absurd, not to mention baseless (as usual).

There isn't a team in the NFL that would sign an $11M player to fill a part-time role (complete with an attitude and ego that has already shown malcontent for being used in such a role), and would surrender a 4th round pick for the privilege.

What one uses to get (or keep) one player ,one is not able to get or keep another (or on others, plural, given Harvin's current pricetag).

What don't you understand about there is no want to spend it, they HAVE to.   they have to spend it all.

So where exactly do you suggest the Jets spend the 50 mil they still HAVE to spend?   BTW thats not would like to spend, thats HAVE to spend?

I am all about cutting Harvin if we needed the money.

I have said how no less than 10x.

They have to spend a certain amount of cash this year; they don't have to use up a certain amount of spending ability (cap space). It isn't the same thing.

I would sooner give Wilkerson a $30M roster bonus instead of $20M, as part of a new contract, rather than piss it away on $10-11M for 1 year of Harvin. Not when we already have 4 good receivers and a handful of other options to fill the same role at half to a third of the cost and without his douchebag me-first personality.

What don't you understand about there is no want to spend it, they HAVE to.   they have to spend it all.

I clearly understand it better than you do. We do not have to spend all of the cap space. They have to spend cash. They are 2 different things.

Oh, and no to Harvin. Could be argued before Marshall arrived. Now it's a waste.

Like Geno Smith is going to need 5 receiving options. Let's see his complaint being he keeps going through his progressions for all 4 pass-catchers and none could get open, and we need another badly enough to pay him more than the Packers are paying Cobb after a crazy-awesome season. Actually let's see him complete 3 passes to his not-first read in the same football game. Let's see him even look.

We already have a better receiving group than any NFL QB could need.

We need to meet that spending limit. I will highly consider retaining Harvin if we don't any key acquisitions within the next couple of days. We do have until the 19th, I believe to officially release Harvin.

Since we're pretty damn weak at the QB spot, I believe the best thing to do is give that QB as many weapons as possible. Marshall - Decker - Harvin - Kerley - Amaro.

Would there be any better receiving core than that?

I have said how no less than 10x.

They have to spend a certain amount of cash this year; they don't have to use up a certain amount of spending ability (cap space). It isn't the same thing.

I would sooner give Wilkerson a $30M roster bonus instead of $20M, as part of a new contract, rather than piss it away on $10-11M for 1 year of Harvin. Not when we already have 4 good receivers and a handful of other options to fill the same role at half to a third of the cost and without his douchebag me-first personality.

I clearly understand it better than you do. We do not have to spend all of the cap space. They have to spend cash. They are 2 different things.

Part of problem with over-inflated signing bonus is that a couple years from now it is "forgotten" by the player's agent who complains bitterly that his client's yearly salary is "below market" (See: Revis, Darrelle)

Not suggesting Marshall and Plax are/were same player "because they are both tall," that's a bit of a low blow strawman since it's not what I said. Marshall and Harvin will do different things, so again, I don't see as one determining the fate of the other.

Don't think it's a strawman because it's not a direct quote. It is an inference. They would be used the same way, or they are the same type of player, or whatever the wording was, is a distinction without a difference.

They are different players who will fill different roles along the same reasoning to bring in Harvin in the first place (he has something that others don't, regardless of what their height/speed/etc is on paper).

Marshall is a playmaker. Plaxico was not. The similarities end at tall height and lack of top-end speed.

I would sooner give Wilkerson a $30M roster bonus instead of $20M, as part of a new contract, rather than piss it away on $10-11M for 1 year of Harvin.

Ok so what if the Jets don't give that money to MO. they still have this year and the franchise tag. You are in favor of giving Mo money he's not really due yet, rather than have Percy?  The team still has tons of leverage with Mo. 

Percy + Mo > just Mo. 

Don't think it's a strawman because it's not a direct quote. It is an inference. They would be used the same way, or they are the same type of player, or whatever the wording was, is a distinction without a difference.

They are different players who will fill different roles along the same reasoning to bring in Harvin in the first place (he has something that others don't, regardless of what their height/speed/etc is on paper).

Marshall is a playmaker. Plaxico was not. The similarities end at tall height and lack of top-end speed.

This isn't 2009. Marshall was a playmaker, when he had competent QB play. He is both (1) older; and (2) not going to get competent QB play here; and (bonus) he won't have Alshon Jeffrey lined up next to him here. In fact, keeping Harvin would probably enhance Marshall's value, contrary to your assertions that having one negates the purpose of having the other.

Again, not just because "he is tall and not a burner," they also both have an "A" in their names, surprised you didn't "infer" that's what I am basing my comparison on. But hey it's easy to win a debate when you apply whatever inference that suits to your opponents' comments.

We need to meet that spending limit. I will highly consider retaining Harvin if we don't any key acquisitions within the next couple of days. We do have until the 19th, I believe to officially release Harvin.

Since we're pretty damn weak at the QB spot, I believe the best thing to do is give that QB as many weapons as possible. Marshall - Decker - Harvin - Kerley - Amaro.

Would there be any better receiving core than that?

People are focusing too much like this is a chess piece or a baseball card or a fantasy football pick. Harvin has a personality. A strong one, that comes complete with a bad attitude if he feels he's not being used the way he wants. He will not quietly play a small role while he is on a non-guaranteed contract. Not even one that is inflated by a few million dollars for this one season. And even that presumes Harvin thinks $10.5M should be the going rate for him.

He wants to ensure he's making as much as he can for as long as he can (which I can sympathize with). But if he doesn't get it in free agency this year, after being released by the Jets, he will want to get it next year. Unless he gets a new long-term deal right away this month, this year is a show-me season for him. How much of a show-me year is he going to be able to have if we reduce his role to that of a backup player and kick returner? What will his future earning potential be if we use him in a limited role and he finishes with 38 receptions for 495 yards and 2 TDs?

Harvin's goals are not going to be the same as a Jets fan's goals.

Ok so what if the Jets don't give that money to MO. they still have this year and the franchise tag. You are in favor of giving Mo money he's not really due yet, rather than have Percy?  The team still has tons of leverage with Mo. 

Percy + Mo > just Mo. 

I am in favor of paying Mo big money now as it pays him without robbing our future ability. Paying Harvin is not apples and apples.

And Mo doesn't cost a draft pick on top of that.

If it was such a no-brainer, why haven't we traded Harvin for a 4th rounder (or higher) yet? Surely teams would be fighting with each other to lock him up for themselves before he hits free agency.

This isn't 2009. Marshall was a playmaker, when he had competent QB play. He is both (1) older; and (2) not going to get competent QB play here; and (bonus) he won't have Alshon Jeffrey lined up next to him here. In fact, keeping Harvin would probably enhance Marshall's value, contrary to your assertions that having one negates the purpose of having the other.

Again, not just because "he is tall and not a burner," they also both have an "A" in their names, surprised you didn't "infer" that's what I am basing my comparison on. But hey it's easy to win a debate when you apply whatever inference that suits to your opponents' comments.

Cutler is not a competent QB. 

I am in favor of paying Mo big money now as it pays him without robbing our future ability. 

future ability to do what? not sign free agents who don't want to come here next year? 

btw you keep talking about Harvin's a headache... he wasnt last year. Keep him on that same deal with nothing guaranteed he will be fine. 

future ability to do what? not sign free agents who don't want to come here next year? 

btw you keep talking about Harvin's a headache... he wasnt last year. Keep him on that same deal with nothing guaranteed he will be fine. 

Future ability to do what? Nothing I guess. The league ends after this season. Can't believe I forgot.

2014 on the Jets is not a valid comparison: Harvin was a starting WR last year for us, being used in the role he desired (lining up outside, full time, opposite Decker). That will not happen in 2015 with the Jets. He was also going overtime to convince the world "it wasn't me" as to why Seattle dumped him.

Part of the problem he had in Seattle is he was being a bitch in complaining about how he was being used.

Part of problem with over-inflated signing bonus is that a couple years from now it is "forgotten" by the player's agent who complains bitterly that his client's yearly salary is "below market" (See: Revis, Darrelle)

I wouldn't make such a deal with Revis. Wilkerson has acted impeccably.

And I said roster bonus, not signing bonus. Big difference. 

People are focusing too much like this is a chess piece or a baseball card or a fantasy football pick. Harvin has a personality. A strong one, that comes complete with a bad attitude if he feels he's not being used the way he wants. He will not quietly play a small role while he is on a non-guaranteed contract. Not even one that is inflated by a few million dollars for this one season. And even that presumes Harvin thinks $10.5M should be the going rate for him.

He wants to ensure he's making as much as he can for as long as he can (which I can sympathize with). But if he doesn't get it in free agency this year, after being released by the Jets, he will want to get it next year. Unless he gets a new long-term deal right away this month, this year is a show-me season for him. How much of a show-me year is he going to be able to have if we reduce his role to that of a backup player and kick returner? What will his future earning potential be if we use him in a limited role and he finishes with 38 receptions for 495 yards and 2 TDs?

Harvin's goals are not going to be the same as a Jets fan's goals.

What has Harvin done that shows you he's unhappy or has a negative attitude since being a Jet?

What has Harvin done that shows you he's unhappy or has a negative attitude since being a Jet?

As I told Bitonti, that is not an apples and apples comparison to his prior stops.

He was marketing himself in his one half-season with the Jets. His 2nd NFL team just dumped him for next to nothing just to be rid of him. No way did he think they'd actually go through with that after paying him all that bonus money the prior season (during which he missed the whole regular season). As soon as he got back into action? Guy gets into a fistfight with his teammate between the AFCCG (which he played no part in reaching) and the superbowl.

We were also using him as a full time starting outside WR. This is the role he covets and the role he believes he belongs in. He will not be used in this role on the 2015 Jets.

Future ability to do what? Nothing I guess. The league ends after this season. Can't believe I forgot.

2014 on the Jets is not a valid comparison: Harvin was a starting WR last year for us, being used in the role he desired (lining up outside, full time, opposite Decker). That will not happen in 2015 with the Jets.

Part of the problem he had in Seattle is he was being a bitch in complaining about how he was being used.

JMO but I think he'd be fine if they do a decent job of getting him the ball in space to make plays with the occasional deep ball to keep defenses off balance.  If he's getting 2-3 quick slants for 18 yards every week he'll be pissed (and I wouldn't blame him).

JMO but I think he'd be fine if they do a decent job of getting him the ball in space to make plays with the occasional deep ball to keep defenses off balance.  If he's getting 2-3 quick slants for 18 yards every week he'll be pissed (and I wouldn't blame him).

I don't. 

I think the role you outlined is really how we would use him. Two-three quick slants and an occasional low-percentage deep attempt. Since he won't be open or thrown to on most of those plays, the correct name for that role is "decoy" -- one that attempts to stretch the defense to open up space for others to make plays closer to the LOS.

He'll hate that role.

I don't. 

I think the role you outlined is really how we would use him. Two-three quick slants and an occasional low-percentage deep attempt. Since he won't be open or thrown to on most of those plays, the correct name for that role is "decoy" -- one that attempts to stretch the defense to open up space for others to make plays closer to the LOS.

He'll hate that role.

Right...because from our offices on March 9th we can determine whether or not he's going to be open on any deep routes.

What do you think he gets on the open market once he's let go?  Disgruntled diminutive KR/WR who can't get open against nickel backs and safeties....that should put him at around one year, $1.4 million?

As I told Bitonti, that is not an apples and apples comparison to his prior stops.

He was marketing himself in his one half-season with the Jets. His 2nd NFL team just dumped him for next to nothing just to be rid of him. No way did he think they'd actually go through with that after paying him all that bonus money the prior season (during which he missed the whole regular season). As soon as he got back into action? Guy gets into a fistfight with his teammate between the AFCCG (which he played no part in reaching) and the superbowl.

We were also using him as a full time starting outside WR. This is the role he covets and the role he believes he belongs in. He will not be used in this role on the 2015 Jets.

If he does remain with the team, exactly what role do you envision him having? If we run the spread offense, I expect Harvin to excel as the plan is to get players in space. This is exactly where Harvin will excel.

Archived