Jets cap situation in 2016 and beyond

k-met57

been seeing a lot of concern on the spending, and looking at OTC...want to understand the root cause for concern. based on what i can tell:

2015: we all know the story

2016:

Committed salaries at about 114mil (cap number could be higher then this years 143mil or whatever it was)

I think Marshall Mangold and Brick are re-structure/re-sign candidates

key free agents:

Wilkerson - must sign obv

Coples - i wouldn't consider him a must keep guy, esp if we draft a pass rusher

Demario Davis - must sign

Ivory - probably let him walk

Fitzpatrick - probably let him walk

Harrison - one dimensional player, won't get big $$

Pace - probably walk

2017:

Committed salaries at about 99mil (cap number could be higher then 2016)

free agents:

cumberland - hope he is gone

geno - prob gone

sheldon - will get a big deal/must sign/franchise

winters -who cares

so in conclusion, based on what i can tell we are in pretty damn ok cap situation except for 3 issues:

1. we seem to be very top heavy with talent, need better young cheap guys (Mac should help with that)

2. we have no long term QB, which is probably the reason we have nothing to worry about cap wise until we get one

3. we really need replacements for Mangold and Brick (probably 2 years from now). we don't want to have to pay them top dollar at a declining skill level just because we don't have anyone better

Am i missing anything here?

if you don't pay a QB $15 million a year, you spend everywhere else until you find a QB, then cut 3 old guys to pay him.

look at seattle, they gave out a bunch of huge contracts because they pay wilson nothing

in a year or two they will have to cut 3 old guys if wilson works out, but that's no biggie because you have a franchise QB

I used to worry about the cap, but it never goes down, it always goes up, so just get difference makers and playmakers when you can

We need to draft a RB that takes over for Ivory if or when we let him walk after this season. I would take one in the 2-4 round.

I agree totally.  Also, I'd like to see them go for some more O Line, considering our 2 best O Linemen are getting up there in age, and you don't want to get in the position of needing 4-5 O lInemen 2 years from now.

Archived