Maccagnan's Conference Call

KRL

Thanks for posting.  Is there a more illogical question/position than "you spent all this money but still don't have a franchise QB"?  Obviously you need one to compete but the notion that if you do not have one, you should not upgrade other areas, is scary. 

Thanks for posting.  Is there a more illogical question/position than "you spent all this money but still don't have a franchise QB"?  Obviously you need one to compete but the notion that if you do not have one, you should not upgrade other areas, is scary. 

Typical media nonsense.  It's not like Rodgers, Luck or Manning were just sitting around in free agency and the

Jets passed on them.  When you don't have an established QB you do the best you can in improving your whole

roster and hope you find one

Thanks for posting. Is there a more illogical question/position than "you spent all this money but still don't have a franchise QB"? Obviously you need one to compete but the notion that if you do not have one, you should not upgrade other areas, is scary.

I think the reasoning is that spending without a QB guarantees that you'll be just good enough never to have a shot at a prospect like Luck but not good enough to win anything of consequence, which makes perfect sense to me.

Bowles, Maccagnan will attend private workout for Marcus Mariota
March, 19, 2015
MAR 19
1:30
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com

Mike Maccagnan already has made one trip to Eugene, Oregon, to check out Marcus Mariota. That was Mariota's pro day, March 12. Maccagnan is planning another trip at the end of the month. This time, the New York Jets' general manager will be accompanied by coach Todd Bowles.

The Jets have scheduled a private workout for March 28.

When a team dispatches its GM and head coach for a private workout, it usually means they're very interested in a player -- or it could be an orchestrated smokescreen. You never know this time of year.

Nevertheless, the Jets are performing due diligence. So are the other quarterback-needy teams. Mariota already has worked out for the Tennessee Titans, and he reportedly has private workouts scheduled with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Diego Chargers.

Speaking to reporters Thursday, Maccagnan declined to comment on Mariota or Jameis Winston, saying he doesn't want to let other teams know what he's thinking. He acknowledged he will attend Winston's pro day March 31, but that was it.

Chances are, Winston will be picked No. 1 overall by the Bucs, but there's a chance Mariota could slip to the Jets.

Always astonished at this thought process.  Don't build the best team you possibly can because you don't have a QB?  Look at what Seattle built while they thought their QB was gonna' be Matt Flynn.

I think the reasoning is that spending without a QB guarantees that you'll be just good enough never to have a shot at a prospect like Luck but not good enough to win anything of consequence, which makes perfect sense to me.

To continue the logic, then a QBless team like the Jets should tank the last few games of the season.  Oh wait... we were saying that last year and the year before.  But no GM/HC would ever endorse that.

A guy like Luck (a surefire #1 franchise guy) comes along once every 10-15 years.  I am not comfortable trying to suck for that long to have a shot at him.  If you make the case that there are 12 franchise QB's in the NFL, you'd be surprised how many did not go #1 overall.  And several of those who did.. guys like Stafford, Newton and E. Manning are not at the top of that 12 QB list.  Any way you slice it, it is not sound logic.

Trade for Rivers, extend him, have owner bribe his way into drafting the next Rodgers/Luck as Rivers is on the way out.

Excuse me sir, I believe you mean we'll be constantly learning how to win.

Archived