Jets Report To OTA's

KRL

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do not know that. Most likely we still get him. It's not like teams were rushing to trade for him. The fact we got a 7th round pick back for him shows we were most likely the only option Bears had.

Now it was a veteran FA market with many choices in there. So for whatever reason we did not get him so be it. Go with the best available option. Don't lose the 5th round pick. Just my way of going about it.

If Marshall was cut he would have immediately been in the top 5 of available players who made it to Free Agency.

If Marshall was cut he would have immediately been in the top 5 of available players who made it to Free Agency.

In what universe.

WR's at age 31 coming from a subpar season hobbled by ankle injuries are not exactly looked upon a prime acquisitions. Not in today's NFL. They are not.

Add to that the hefty paycheck and past transgressions of the field and it's not exactly salivating material for NFL teams.

As i said, I had doubts about the trade. But giving credit where it's due, once he got on the team his approach so far has been worth commending.

Why wait until he's cut? Any new deal would probably INCLUDE more guaranteed new money. That's the genius of the trade. We got a top WR for below 2015 FA market prices and NO GUARANTEED money AFTER THIS YEAR.

That's why it's one of the more lauded moves this offseason.

Receivers half as good as Marshall were getting much more guaranteed money in this market.  He gets released, not only do we have to compete with other teams to get him (while we have no QB), we would have to shell out more guaranteed money.  It's a no-brainer in spite of the fact that a 5th this year is worth much more than a 5th last year since we don't have Stuttering John as our GM.

In what universe.

WR's at age 31 coming from a subpar season hobbled by ankle injuries are not exactly looked upon a prime acquisitions. Not in today's NFL. They are not.

Add to that the hefty paycheck and past transgressions of the field and it's not exactly salivating material for NFL teams.

As i said, I had doubts about the trade. But giving credit where it's due, once he got on the team his approach so far has been worth commending.

Tell me the UFAs that would have been ahead of Marshall had he been cut.

The top UFAs were some order of Revis, Suh, Cobb, D. Murray and....?

Maclin? No

Iupati? No

J. Thomas? No

So let me know who. I'll wait.

Maclin? No

Iupati? No

J. Thomas? No

So age is not a factor. Got ya. Injury in the last season. Not that either.  Once you take those pesky factor's t out its such a rosy picture.

So age is not a factor. Got ya. Injury in the last season. Not that either. Once you take those pesky factor's t out its such a rosy picture.

You're problem is that you cant argue in good faith.

I said he'd easily be a top 5 FA this offseason. I asked you to tell me who would be ahead of him and you can't/refuse to do it.

You're problem is that you cant argue in good faith.

I said he'd easily be a top 5 FA this offseason. I asked you to tell me who would be ahead of him and you can't/refuse to do it.

Your problem is you don't let facts get in the way of your arguments.  He is not Top 5 at age 31 with the ankle injury situation and declining production he had last season.

It's like someone just saying sun rises in the north. And asking others to prove it otherwise.

Your problem is you don't let facts get in the way of your arguments. He is not Top 5 at age 31 with the ankle injury situation and declining production he had last season.

It's like someone just saying sun rises in the north. And asking others to prove it otherwise.

You're being willfully ignorant. Again, I said he'd be a top 5 FA this year if he was cut. I even named the guys who might have been ahead of him. You say he wouldn't be top 5. OK, so tell me the FAs this year that would have been ahead of him.

Your move.

You're being willfully ignorant. Again, I said he'd be a top 5 FA this year if he was cut. I even named the guys who might have been ahead of him. You say he wouldn't be top 5. OK, so tell me the FAs this year that would have been ahead of him.

Your move.

:face:

I already said that i am not going to waste time indulging in  stuff that defies any sense of logic. Keep thinking Brandon Marshall at age 31 and host of injury issues he faced last season ad so on is a Top 5 FA. If that delusion helps you sleep at night than so be it.

:face:

I already said that i am not going to waste time indulging in stuff that defies any sense of logic. Keep thinking Brandon Marshall at age 31 and host of injury issues he faced last season ad so on is a Top 5 FA. If that delusion helps you sleep at night than so be it.

Host of injuries now? His numbers were down one year because he played through an ankle injury. It's his first real injury so no history. He is a year after year 1000 yard WR. Name the other 5th round pick that has put up those numbers?

People that think late round picks are better then star players are nuts. Trade every 5th 6th and 7th round picks for pro bowl players.

Maclin? No

Iupati? No

J. Thomas? No

Maxwell?  No

Cromartie?  No

Bulaga?  No

Franklin?  No

Regardless of the spinning going on here, it looks like you were right on in your assessment....and that's just based on general player value... to the Jets, who have not had a playmaker at the position for over 3 years, Marshall's value is even greater.

Maxwell?  No

Cromartie?  No

Bulaga?  No

Franklin?  No

Regardless of the spinning going on here, it looks like you were right on in your assessment....and that's just based on general player value... to the Jets, who have not had a playmaker at the position for over 3 years, Marshall's value is even greater.

Exactly, Marshall for a 5th rounder was a no brainer then and still is now.  Now it seems there may be a ripple effect as he seems to working hard to build a relationship with Geno and hopefully give him that go to receiver, he has lacked the last two years (no offense to Decker who was hurt most of last year and is not the playmaker Marshall is.)    I don't know how it will turn out but I give him high marks for making the effort. 

Calling this weak would be an insult to weak.

Don't insult yourself.  Anyway, I don't time for this back and forth trivial nonsense because you are just not that important.  You are officially on ignore.   Have a nice life. 

Don't insult yourself.  Anyway, I don't time for this back and forth trivial nonsense because you are just not that important.  You are officially on ignore.   Have a nice life. 

yup.  He's a grand waste of time who can't back up his claims.  Just another troll.  Good for a few chuckles.  Time for this to go away.

Host of injuries now? His numbers were down one year because he played through an ankle injury. It's his first real injury so no history. He is a year after year 1000 yard WR. Name the other 5th round pick that has put up those numbers?

People that think late round picks are better then star players are nuts. Trade every 5th 6th and 7th round picks for pro bowl players.

Ankle injuries after 30 are in themselves enough to derail a WR's career. IIRC on top of that he also had  punctured lung and rib injuries as well. When you are wrong side of 30 and the injuries keep piling up its not a healthy recipe for sustained success.

Whichever way you stretch it he is not a Top 5 FA. Not even close.

Now having him on the team with not a lot of proven talent at that position is not a bad idea as long as he can stay on the field and be productive.  But acquiring him after he was cut would have been a better way to go rather than giving up draft pick for him. Specially on a team like the JETS that has quite a few holes to fill for the long term. I really do not think many teams would have been vying for his services, so the JETS could have got him easily signed him.

Ankle injuries after 30 are in themselves enough to derail a WR's career. IIRC on top of that he also had  punctured lung and rib injuries as well. When you are wrong side of 30 and the injuries keep piling up its not a healthy recipe for sustained success.

Whichever way you stretch it he is not a Top 5 FA. Not even close.

Now having him on the team with not a lot of proven talent at that position is not a bad idea as long as he can stay on the field and be productive.  But acquiring him after he was cut would have been a better way to go rather than giving up draft pick for him. Specially on a team like the JETS that has quite a few holes to fill for the long term. I really do not think many teams would have been vying for his services, so the JETS could have got him easily signed him.

You end up paying more for him by waiting for him to get cut... Guaranteed.  His old contract was based on the older pay scale.  If he was cut, you risk the Raiders getting involved and throwing 20 mill a year at him.  And that's just assuming the Raiders.

You end up paying more for him by waiting for him to get cut... Guaranteed.  His old contract was based on the older pay scale.  If he was cut, you risk the Raiders getting involved and throwing 20 mill a year at him.  And that's just assuming the Raiders.

I highly doubt it, but If the Raiders pay him gazillion than so be it.  Not having him on the team would not be end of the world. Look for the best available WR in FA. This FA market was one of the best ones and the JETS had the salary cap.

So I dont get to hear your stupid personal attacks and boneheaded viewpoints. A BIG thank you. Now the rest of your Maccag gang can follow this example. 

I highly doubt it, but If the Raiders pay him gazillion than so be it.  Not having him on the team would not be end of the world. Look for the best available WR in FA. This FA market was one of the best ones and the JETS had the salary cap.

Seeing what the Jets did at the CB position, it's a great thing they didn't waste more at receiver.

And do you really believe that Free Agency was strong for the WR position?  No it wasn't...   

1. Dez was getting franchised

2. Cobb went back to Green Bay on a much smaller deal so it's clear he was never actually available.

3. Crabtree sucks and is heartless which is why nobody wants him.

4. Maclin is a good player.  Only guy comparable to Marshall.  Got paid more money than Marshall as well.

5. T. Smith sucks... Deep threat with a very poor completion percentage per attempt.

6. Andre Johnson is finished.  Either way seemed designed to go towards INdy.

Then you have a bunch of marginal guys who simply aren't as good as Marshall.

Name the UFAs that were better than him this year. This is the 3rd time I'm asking.

You really don't get it do you.  It's not even close. At his age and with his injury history and his past he is not even in the Top 20 wishlist of NFL GM's. Period.

You can list him in your 5 all you want but teams were not scrambling to get Marshall once he was made available by the Bears. Usually when teams start exploring trade options more often than not they end up cutting the player. Why would a team cut a Top 5 player, specially when if people on this board are to be believed his existing salary is very reasonable. Ask yourself that.

Seeing what the Jets did at the CB position, it's a great thing they didn't waste more at receiver.

And do you really believe that Free Agency was strong for the WR position?  No it wasn't...   

1. Dez was getting franchised

2. Cobb went back to Green Bay on a much smaller deal so it's clear he was never actually available.

3. Crabtree sucks and is heartless which is why nobody wants him.

4. Maclin is a good player.  Only guy comparable to Marshall.  Got paid more money than Marshall as well.

5. T. Smith sucks... Deep threat with a very poor completion percentage per attempt.

6. Andre Johnson is finished.  Either way seemed designed to go towards INdy.

Then you have a bunch of marginal guys who simply aren't as good as Marshall.

As i said i highly doubt it that Brandon Marshall would have been overpaid by any team BUT if someone did than so be it. It won't have been the end of the world. I said the best available WR in the FA market. And it was a good market. Each and every player has different situations, age and talent they can bring to the table. So you pick the best of what's available that matches your situation.  There were quite a few WR's that would have allowed JETS to upgrade their talent at that position and still fit the objectives of the organization.

Name the UFAs that were better than him this year. This is the 3rd time I'm asking.

It's easier to whine and moan and never back it up with facts.  Seems to be a recurring theme on every thread.  I am going to follow the advice of JetBlue and utilize the ignore button as well.  Life is too short to waste on those who get a high off of being a contrarian.

Archived