Jets Acquire Wide Receiver DeVier Posey in Swap With Texans

JetNation

HOUSTON, TX- AUGUST 28: DeVier Posey #11 of the Houston Texans stiff arms Asante Cleveland #45 of the San Francisco 49ers in the first quarter in a pre-season NFL game on August 28, 2014 at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Thomas B. Shea/Getty Images)

By Glenn Naughton

New York Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan called some old friends to pull of a draft day swap that netted them a second Ohio State product at the wide receiver position in DeVier Posey in a swap of second rounders with the Texans.

In all, the Jets sent pick no. 70 to the Texans in exchange for picks no. 82, 152 and 229 along with Posey.

A 6′ 1”, 211 lb target, Posey was selected by the Texans in the third round of the 2011 draft by the Texans when Maccagnan was a member of their personnel department so he’s clearly familiar with the receiver.

Following two productive seasons during his sophmore and junior years at Ohio State in which he put up a combined 113 receptions for 1,676 yards and 15 touchdowns, Posey would appear in just four contests as a senior.

In three pro seasons, Posey has hauled in 22 catches for 272 yards in part-time action.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rJyrMmxu5BA

View the full article

With the 68th pick, the Texans drafted Posey (6-2, 209), who started 29 games at Ohio State. Posey was suspended for 10 games in 2011 but had 113 catches for 1,676 yards in his sophomore and junior seasons combined. He ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. 

“I think that he’s a quality young man,” Smith said. “He made a mistake. One of the things that was impressive to me is I thought he took a difficult set of circumstances and handled it about as well as he could. In his suspension, he continued to go to practice and continued to be a good teammate. He continued to be a leader on that football team in the capacity that he was capable of doing not playing... And he’s a talented football player. He’s got a skill set. He’s good-sized. He has good speed. He’s a very good route runner, good hands. He’s got range around his body and a catching radius that we like.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-fill-needs-with-eight-man-2012-draft-class/676723b8-f60f-4955-a4c5-ed0d6fe28a78

Posey was the No. 68 overall pick (third) in 2012. He had a strong rookie season but never recovered on the field from an Achilles injury as a rookie during a playoff loss to New England. Posey struggled to even be active last season — he was limited to just one catch in one game.

“It’s a good opportunity for DeVier,” Smith said. “For whatever reason, his career just hasn’t materialized the way he had hoped why he was here. But we had talked with him prior to the draft. We had communicated to him that we would try to find a situation that was a good one for him.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/05/texans-select-wr-jaelen-strong-with-no-70-pick-in-third-round/#32659101=0

Posey was the No. 68 overall pick (third) in 2012. He had a strong rookie season but never recovered on the field from an Achilles injury as a rookie during a playoff loss to New England. Posey struggled to even be active last season — he was limited to just one catch in one game.

“It’s a good opportunity for DeVier,” Smith said. “For whatever reason, his career just hasn’t materialized the way he had hoped why he was here. But we had talked with him prior to the draft. We had communicated to him that we would try to find a situation that was a good one for him.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/05/texans-select-wr-jaelen-strong-with-no-70-pick-in-third-round/#32659101=0

Well this post finally puts the move into proper perspective.  I wonder if 4.37 40 is still intact after the Achilles.  My guess is he'll/we'll be lucky if he makes the 53 man roster.  Good luck to him though.

Jets WR, '13               vs              '15

Jeremy Kerley              --             same

Stephen Hil                  --             B Marshall

Santonio Holmes         --             E Decker

Clyde Gates                --             Devin Smith

Greg Salas                  --             DeVier Posey

I'd also add Shaq Evans & TJ Graham in the '15 mix...

Posey is no lock to make the roster. Him, Owusu, Enunwa, Graham, and Evans (and whoever else) are all battling for just one or two spots. 

We probably keep 6 receivers in the Gailey world and quite possibly no FB. Guaranteed  spots Decker, Marshall, Kerley and Devin.

So competition for 2 spots:

DeVier Posey

Shaq Evans

Quincy Enunwa

Chris Owusu

TJ Graham will compete for one of those spots.

Posey is no lock to make the roster. Him, Owusu, Enunwa, Graham, and Evans (and whoever else) are all battling for just one or two spots. 

and if he doesn't play specials, he has to beat out devin smith

ouch

We probably keep 6 receivers in the Gailey world and quite possibly no FB. Guaranteed  spots Decker, Marshall, Kerley and Devin.

So competition for 2 spots:

DeVier Posey

Shaq Evans

Quincy Enunwa

Chris Owusu

If the JETS do not keep a FB we could very well potentially have 7 WR's. I know early days to call it BUT i thats a very likely possibility. So likely competition for 3 spots.

I would add T.J.Graham to the list.

I think one of the roster spots goes to someone who stands out in the return game,

I would not write DeVier Posey off. The guy has the potential. But his career has not taken off. In situation like these a change of scenery can sometimes help a lot. Look at Brandon LaFell. So I do not understand why he is being written off already. It would be fun to watch the competition for WR spots.

Posey definitely makes the team over those guys. He was handpicked by Macc who drafted him in Houston and now traded for him again. Obviously he really likes him. The other guys are Idzik players, I doubt they make this team. Shaq Evans maybe. Enunwa is practice squad material. Owusu & Graham are goners IMO.

Posey definitely makes the team over those guys. He was handpicked by Macc who drafted him in Houston and now traded for him again. Obviously he really likes him. The other guys are Idzik players, I doubt they make this team. Shaq Evans maybe. Enunwa is practice squad material. Owusu & Graham are goners IMO.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet. Maccagnan didn't make the trade to get Posey, he made it to get extra picks. Posey was a throw-in who hasn't been the same since an achilles injury. He's a body. nothing more until he proves otherwise. Owusu, in particular, looked pretty good last year. The fifth WR -and if they go so far as to even carry a sixth- will have to be able to contribute on specials. 

If I were a betting man, I'd bet. Maccagnan didn't make the trade to get Posey, he made it to get extra picks. Posey was a throw-in who hasn't been the same since an achilles injury. He's a body. nothing more until he proves otherwise. Owusu, in particular, looked pretty good last year. The fifth WR -and if they go so far as to even carry a sixth- will have to be able to contribute on specials.

Handpicked tho

Shaq Evans will get cut.

Archived