Which RB stands to gain the most in Chan Gailey's offense?

Jetsfan80

Under Chan Gailey in Buffalo, CJ Spiller's yards per carry went from 3.8 in 2010 to 5.2 the following year, and 6.0 in 2012.  However, Spiller also caught 24, 39 and 43 passes those seasons, respectively.  And though Spiller himself was available this offseason, we didn't acquire him.  Nor did we seem to acquire a Spiller clone.

While Gailey likes pass-catching RB's, this is how many passes our RB's have caught:

Ivory:  5 from 2010-13, 18 catches (6.8 yards per catch) last season

Powell:  17 in 2012, 36 in '13, 11 in '14 (7.9 yards per catch in career)

Ridley:  23 in career (6.3 yards per catch)

Stacy:  26 in 2013, 18 last season (6.7 yards per catch in career)

In terms of efficiency (catches per target), Ivory is at 59 % for his career, Powell 60 %, Ridley 64 %, and Stacy is highest at 76 %. 

None of these guys are ideal choices when it comes to pass-catching options.  But Gailey's job is to turn lemons into lemonade.  With that in mind, which RB stands to gain the most?

I have to believe Ivory will be used less than in years past.  Part of the reasoning for that will be to keep him healthy.  Stacy's acquisition made a lot of sense as more of a "thumper" to spell Ivory when needed.  But in addition to that, Stacy can and has caught a few passes in the Ram offense.  Even last season when he lost his starting job to Tre Mason he ended up catching as many passes as Ivory did all season.

Ridley doesn't seem like a good fit for the offense at all, and it is rare that we see a New England RB leave and have MORE success elsewhere.  Powell is basically a JAG but he is also a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, which keeps him getting snaps.  He didn't catch a lot of passes last season but he does the most with his catches of any current Jet RB.

It's sounding like a true RBBC next year, where we are constantly shuffling guys in and no one getting preferential treatment.  But I do see Stacy getting a solid % of the workload despite being acquired for just a 7th round pick.

I feel it's time to stop calling this Chan Gailey's offense. The way I read it, and hear it, this will be Todd Bowles offense, yes Gailey will implement it, but Bowles will actually be paying attention to what the offense is doing, and of he doesn't like say the fact Ivory isn't getting the power carries Bowles believes should be given he will step in, and let Gailey know this is the direction I'd like to go this week, in games, ect. Bowles will rule like Parcells, and Belichick do/did, having a hand in everything.

Wow, they're better at RB than I thought. There's no prime AD or McCoy there, but four competent players is more than I thought they had.

I'd go Stacy and Powell just because they've been worked less in the league. No problem with keeping Ivory fresh either, so it might be him. Jackson was as much a pain in the ass as Spiller was against the Jets under Gailey, unless he wasn't.

I feel it's time to stop calling this Chan Gailey's offense. The way I read it, and hear it, this will be Todd Bowles offense, yes Gailey will implement it, but Bowles will actually be paying attention to what the offense is doing, and of he doesn't like say the fact Ivory isn't getting the power carries Bowles believes should be given he will step in, and let Gailey know this is the direction I'd like to go this week, in games, ect. Bowles will rule like Parcells, and Belichick do/did, having a hand in everything.

Meh, it's kind of semantics.  Bowles brought in a long-time veteran that he can trust to run his offensive system.  Good HC's know when to step in when needed, but I find it hard to believe Bowles will have a tight leash on EITHER the offense or defense.  He seems like a very solid CEO type based on early signs and his personality.  In any case this is kind of irrelevant to the topic.  

Yeah I can see Powell playing a lot on 3rd downs and making plays via blocking and pass catching.

I'm all for RBBC, but IMO Ivory is a stud when used consistently. If we have a shot at the playoffs, a fresh Ivory to have late in the season is a huge plus.....he can wear down defenses and break some big ones.

This offense should have enough weapons to compliment the defense in making a playoff run too IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Think it will be Powell.  He has been underutilized.   he is the best receiver of the lot, and the best pass blocker.   

I tend to agree with this, or at least this is what I'm hopeful of.

I'd like to research which of the lot is best suited for the type of zone blocking scheme that Gailey uses, but have no idea where to begin exploring that.

I'd like to research which of the lot is best suited for the type of zone blocking scheme that Gailey uses, but have no idea where to begin exploring that.

Unfortunately, none of our RB's have substantial experience in a zone blocking system.  The Saints turned to zone blocking only after Chris Ivory left.  Vanderbilt turned to zone blocking a year after Zac Stacy graduated. 

The Patriots run a "partial" zone blocking scheme, as seen below with Ridley carrying the ball.  On this play the Pats used power blocking on one side and zone on the other:

NE-Grg4_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=383&q=85

However, the Pats are dirty cheaters, so there's likely little to be gained from this.

Ultimately I think any RB with good vision, patience and decision-making skills can learn a zone blocking scheme.  Powell does seem like a decent candidate in this department.  I think he gets the most out of his limited abilities.  Ivory gets the most out of being a bruiser, which doesn't always lend itself to a system requiring, perhaps, a little more patience.

And it goes without saying the offensive line will need to be on point this season.  Mangold and Ferguson remember the Thomas Jones/Bill Callahan days of zone blocking well enough, I imagine.  Plus James Carpenter and Breno Giacomini both come from a zone blocking scheme in Seattle.  So those are pluses. 

Archived