Is Marriota trying to force a trade to the Eagles?

drdetroit

Yes and no.

The only way this comes up is if Tennessee cuts him. Being such a high pick, his entire contract is guaranteed. If that final year 4 of Mariota's contract is a fully guaranteed $2M, that's the deal. But it's whether one views the guarantee as a guarantee of money to Mariota, or a guarantee of money that must be paid only by the Titans. Most people would view a contract as the former.

What the offset language says is if they cut him he's going to get the same $ from the Titans, unless he signs anywhere else (presumably if/after he clears waivers, which is further unlikely, since the team picking him up would be inheriting the contract, and Tennessee's obligations with it). I could be wrong, but it looks like this is only a factor if they cut Mariota and he then clears waivers. Then he'd become a full, unfettered, unrestricted free agent. He still is due $2M guaranteed from Tennessee if no one picks him up. If someone else picks him up, then that's the area of contention.

Where it gets muddied is if a player uses this no-offset language to shoot his way out of town. Whether it's because he wants to play for someone else specifically (i.e. Kelly) or just wants out of Tennessee. Or that he just wants to be a free agent to get a better contract without the $ risk being on him during a holdout. But if he shoots his way out of town and gets his wish, he shouldn't be able to profit by it. He can sign elsewhere, but he can't stick Tennessee with the bill (and a hole at QB-of-the-future, and all that they could have had otherwise by trading the pick), and then double dip by collecting millions from Tennessee while someone else is paying him.

Thank you for this clarification!!!!!

He was drafted though. Wasn't Eli's plan to not sign with San Diego and then sign with the team of his choosing?

There was a lot of discussion about this issue surrounding La'el Collins this year. If he had been drafted and refused to sign, he would've re-entered the draft next year - with the team that drafted him being ineligible to draft him again. Because he wasn't drafted, he became a free agent.

I don't know what Eli's plan was, but the Chargers drafted him just to trade him, so it really doesn't matter. You'd have to go back to Elway, who refused to sign with the Colts, but had to use baseball as leverage to force a trade.

Mariota already on his way to that nfl meltdown. I'll be lol'ing hard when he busts

And I'll make sure to bump this thread when Mariota's doing well in the nfl. Reports from Titans camp is that he's doing much better then Mettenberger and basically he's starting. Saying their was an obvious difference in play from Mariota and Mett, with Mariota being the best qb on the field.

And I'll make sure to bump this thread when Mariota's doing well in the nfl. Reports from Titans camp is that he's doing much better then Mettenberger and basically he's starting. Saying their was an obvious difference in play from Mariota and Mett, with Mariota being the best qb on the field.

Yes, because that's evidence that he'll "do well" in the NFL....outperforming Zach Mettenberger.  I.E. the 40th-ranked QB by DVOA last year.

Yes, because that's evidence that he'll "do well" in the NFL....outperforming Zach Mettenberger.  I.E. the 40th-ranked QB by DVOA last year.

Actually yeah it is pretty impressive. Mettenberger is 23 years old with a year of nfl experience who was thought to have a decent rookie year, much better then any Jets rookie qb in a while. Mariota is 21 years old and is a rookie who looks a lot better then Mettenberger does. Mind telling me how that doesn't bode well for his future? Or are you just going to be like the other guy and throw out that Mariota's a bust just because you feel like it, offering no evidence that suggests it?

Actually yeah it is pretty impressive. Mettenberger is 23 years old with a year of nfl experience who was thought to have a decent rookie year, much better then any Jets rookie qb in a while. Mariota is 21 years old and is a rookie who looks a lot better then Mettenberger does. Mind telling me how that doesn't bode well for his future? Or are you just going to be like the other guy and throw out that Mariota's a bust just because you feel like it, offering no evidence that suggests it?

Not saying he's a guaranteed bust.  Just suggesting that maybe outperforming the equivalent of Geno Smith isn't impressive or evidence that he's going to be a solid pro.  He was the # 2 overall pick.  I would hope he looks better on natural talent alone.  It's a null tell and pretty meaningless.

It's better than the guessing games he's using to predict Mariota is well on his way to a NFL meltdown. Reports that he's doing well are more on point than just "because".

Better than Mettemberger? Wow look out Brady!

You actually think he hasn't been offered a rookie contract?

You actually think there's a plan not to sign a contract? Again how do you know anyone gave him a legit contract to sign? You're guessing unless you know what's been offered or not

You actually think there's a plan not to sign a contract? Again how do you know anyone gave him a legit contract to sign? You're guessing unless you know what's been offered or not

What's a "legit" contract?  Under the current CBA he can only get rookie scale.  It is conspicuous that he has no deal yet and it's almost July.

What's a "legit" contract?  Under the current CBA he can only get rookie scale.  It is conspicuous that he has no deal yet and it's almost July.

My thinking. But just as you can say it's easy to give him a scaled contract, it's just as easy to say he knows it's scaled and is what it is.

It's why I think it's telling that Tenn is trying to play games with the contract and if thats the case is why he hasn't signed.

Reminds me of when Tanny tried playing with the years of Revis's first contract.

My thinking. But just as you can say it's easy to give him a scaled contract, it's just as easy to say he knows it's scaled and is what it is.

It's why I think it's telling that Tenn is trying to play games with the contract and if thats the case is why he hasn't signed.

Reminds me of when Tanny tried playing with the years of Revis's first contract.

How do you know it's Tennesee playing games?  The thing that bothers me about this is if Jameis Winston didn't have a rookie contract done by June 26, 2015 the media would have a field day.

How do you know it's Tennesee playing games?  The thing that bothers me about this is if Jameis Winston didn't have a rookie contract done by June 26, 2015 the media would have a field day.

Because it was reported in the article that they were. To me that says its Tenn playing games.

I don't think he media would have gotten on Jameis. Other than the issues he had at FSU they've been fair with him.

Archived