faba

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Comment

• Darren Rovell, ESPN.com Sports Business reporter
    Close

NBA fans who want to watch out-of-market games that are not on national television can now do so by the game.

The league will announce Wednesday that, for the first time, fans can pay $6.99 to buy any NBA game next season. Fans will be able to watch the game on television if they have a carrier that gets NBA League Pass -- DirecTV, Dish, AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner and Cox, among them -- or on broadband for computers, tablets and mobile devices.

In the past, fans could only buy all out-of-market games for the season, but this year, the league is also offering a team package, where a fan who lives out of the primary market can get all the team's games for $119.99.

The price for the full League Pass -- which has been available since 1994 -- will remain $199.99, but even NBA commissioner Adam Silver admitted in March at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference that "most people don't want to consume that many games."

There are no immediate plans to sell pieces of games, like allow a fan to buy the last couple minutes of a game by clicking on a link within their Twitter or Facebook timeline, but that could be something the league will look at in the future.

The pricing announced is for U.S. fans only. League Pass is available in more than 200 countries, according to the NBA

Look. I'm all for intellectual property and I don't condone piracy, but if these sh*tsippers have the nerve to charge seven goddamned dollars for a regular season basketball game I'm going to start stealing them as a matter of principle. If they left the price point out of the article I would have guessed something like the U2 iTunes auto-download you can't get rid of.

7 bucks to watch a game. There's like 2 decent games on per week in what is a ridiculously watered down league today, and those games usually get nationally televised anyways. I think I'm good on paying extra money to watch the Kings play Minnesota.

If a tree clangs a contested eighteen-footer off the iron in the forest and there's nobody there to pay seven dollars to hear it, does it make a sound?

A $7 price point for a run of the mill weeknight NBA game is way too high. 

This.

The prime consumer price points for quick buys are $0.99, $4.99 and $9.99.  That's how King makes hundreds of millions of dollars off of Candy Crush by selling bonuses using that price structure. 

NBA needed to come it at $4.99 per game tops, because it allows consumers to say, "Oh, it's only five bucks." 

This.

The prime consumer price points for quick buys are $0.99, $4.99 and $9.99.  That's how King makes hundreds of millions of dollars off of Candy Crush by selling bonuses using that price structure. 

NBA needed to come it at $4.99 per game tops, because it allows consumers to say, "Oh, it's only five bucks."

Just closing my eyes and throwing a dart here, but I would put it to market at $2.99.

This.

5.00 is the new 4.99 ... btw leaving the $ sign off seems to have a bigger effect, which is interesting

Archived