5 Things to Know about New Jets QB FitzPatrick

JetBlue

When you are arguing with somebody and it gets physical, it's now a fight.  Just because one guy lost the fight before he countered doesn't mean it didn't take place.

So if you and I are arguing, you point a finger at me and I haul off and punch out your lights, you will say you were fighting?  

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TD passes lead to wins on a roster like ours.  We have had QB's forcing our teams to settle for FG's time and time again the last 6 years, not to mention turning it over in the Red Zone.

And Chad wasn't very good.  Not at all really.  He beat bad teams and was awful against top defenses.  That's not a good QB.  Better than Sanchez and Geno?  Yes.  But that's not saying much at all.  At least we won't be handing Geno $64M to be the franchise guy.

TD passes when your team is down 20 w/ 2 mins left do not help you win.  TD passes when your team is down 6 w/ 2 mins left help your team win.  Fitz puts up nice #s and disappears in big spots.

Stop it, Chad was a top QB in 2002 and really good his other healthy years. 

Chad wasn't ever healthy after 2002.  A healthy Chad was better than Ryan Fitzpatrick, but that was only for 1 year.  After that he mostly ranged from mediocre to horrifically bad depending on the quality of defense he was facing.

2004 he was better, 2006 he was better, 2008 he was better.  those are the relatively healthy years of his career(along w/ 2002).

well, some of the reports say otherwise. geno wasn't sucker punched. he was up in ik's face, pointing his finger in his face, and may have asked ik, what he was going to do about it? well, I guess geno found out the answer to his question. would any rational person, get up in another persons face and not have a clue to what could happen next? come on

1.  Bowles said, twice, he didn't put his finger in IKs face.  He also added that it wouldn't have made a difference 

2.  sucker punch

transitive verb

: to hit (a person) suddenly and usually without any obvious reason

Full Definition of SUCKER PUNCH
:  to punch (a person) suddenly without warning and often without apparent provocation

No one, Geno or whoever was in the locker expect a punch to fly.  Sucker punch

And those folks pay the price for the stupid actions.  People who value their jobs try to control themselves.   No one is saying anyone is above being assaulted we are saying you have an expectation of not being attacked by fellow employee at work; of course there are nut jobs everywhere.  That is not what we are talking about.   Not really sure what we are arguing about.... 

You said nobody should expect to be hit at work and I disagreed.  It's unprofessional and unfortunate, but it happens.  How many players said yesterday that they've seen fights during their careers?  Didn't Percy Harvin punch a teammate before the super bowl?  These dudes are amped up a lot of the time and as soon as things go somewhere that they shouldn't, like arguing in a room full of people about money, you should expect anything. 

I've seen a couple of situations up close and personal where you could clearly see that a line had been crossed from disagreement to physical altercation and neither party was surprised by the development when it reached that point.

TD passes when your team is down 20 w/ 2 mins left do not help you win.  TD passes when your team is down 6 w/ 2 mins left help your team win.  Fitz puts up nice #s and disappears in big spots.

TD passes will help this team, not bad teams with weak defenses.  Fitz has done a fine job putting up 20+ pt performances.  More often than not that will lead to wins for this team.  We won't need him to carry us in the 4th quarter like he's had to do in the past as long as he leads us on 4 or so scoring drives most of the time, which is exactly what he's done most of his career.  No one is saying he's a good QB.  Just an average one.  People continue to have a problem with this when every available metric agrees with me. 

No, he wasn't "really good" in his other years.  He looked ok against bad defenses and was dreadfully bad against good ones.  That played out his entire career from 2003 on.  Just saying otherwise doesn't make it true.  If a guy can't stay healthy he can't be a pro QB.  Chad just never could stay healthy.

2004 he was better, 2006 he was better, 2008 he was better.  those are the relatively healthy years of his career(along w/ 2002).

Funny how every other year he did ok.  Why?  Because when the team sucked, the year after the schedule got easier.  Comeback Player of the Year forever!!!

Last time Fitz played in Gailey's offense:

24 tds 16 ints 3400 yards on 61% completion percentage

And he has better Wide Receivers to throw to this year along with a better defense.

Sh1t would I sign up for that now.

TD passes will help this team, not bad teams with weak defenses.  Fitz has done a fine job putting up 20+ pt performances.  More often than not that will lead to wins for this team.  We won't need him to carry us in the 4th quarter like he's had to do in the past as long as he leads us on 4 or so scoring drives most of the time, which is exactly what he's done most of his career.

No, he wasn't "really good" in his other years.  He looked ok against bad defenses and was dreadfully bad against good ones.  That played out his entire career from 2003 on.  Just saying otherwise doesn't make it true.  If a guy can't stay healthy he can't be a pro QB.  Chad just never could stay healthy.

not all TD passes are created equal.  fitz has never carried anything.

all QBs look better against bad defenses, that's nonsense.  he won 2 div titles in the Brady era and made 2 other postseasons.

Funny how every other year he did ok.  Why?  Because when the team sucked, the year after the schedule got easier.  Comeback Player of the Year forever!!!

b/c he was hurt every other year.

2002 healthy- division title

2003 hurt- 6-10

2004 played all but 3 games, 10 wins and missed kick from title game

2005- hurt 4-12

2006 healthy- 10-6

2007 hurt 4-12

2008 healthy 11-5 div title

it's not mysterious

I think locker room fights are more prevelent than we are led to believe.  I remember hearing about TO and Steve Smith on more than one occasion.  I think they were fighting CBs though(maybe not TO).  In this case there was no hiding that fact due to Geno getting injured to the point of not being able to play.  When I first heard about this my first thought was, why didnt his teammates protect him?  Where was his OLine? Your starting QB is about to get physical with a LB and you leave him out there to get mauled? I guess it is true that his team does not back him. 

I am confused about the sucker punch word being used though. if you put your finger in a grown mans face, look the f out.  Now I understand that IK laid out $600 for Geno to attend his camp in the offseason.  I think Geno owed him the $$$$.  I hope IK doesnt go the the Jills or the Pasts though...

Hell yes we would.  Seems to me like people are cool with QB's who have more turnovers than TD's.  I'm not.  Seems pretty simple to me.

6 wins blah blah blah.

21 other starters plus 31 reserves on the Buffalo Bills yet it's all Fitzpatrick's fault they went 6-10.

Yeah let's ignore the fact that its a team sport.  Rex Grossman went 13-3 and got to a Super Bowl according to your amazing logic he should be starting. he's a winnah

The NFC was a complete joke, a 10 win team got a bye that year.  how many other playoff apps did Grossman make?

not all TD passes are created equal.  fitz has never carried anything.

all QBs look better against bad defenses, that's nonsense.  he won 2 div titles in the Brady era and made 2 other postseasons.

Playing on stacked teams.  Chad really only had one "good" year as a pro in 2002 and then he started getting hurt and the entire league figured out how to shut him down.

So if you and I are arguing, you point a finger at me and I haul off and punch out your lights, you will say you were fighting?  

It all depends...are we arguing about who the Jets starting QB should be, or the fact that one of us owes the other $600 and is refusing to pay?  Also, do you physically assault people for a living?  If so, reluctantly admit that we got in to a fight that didn't last long due to poor situational awareness on my part.

If we were speaking calmly or I had my back to you and you did it, I'd say "dammit, that MFer JetBlue just sucker punched me".

The NFC was a complete joke, a 10 win team got a bye that year.  how many other playoff apps did Grossman make?

Doesn't matter.  According to the almighty "wins" stat Rex Grossman should be our starting qb?  Correct?

Grossman could be starting on 2/3 of the teams in the NFL.  He had 13 wins in a season!!!!!

Playing on stacked teams.  Chad really only had one "good" year as a pro in 2002 and then he started getting hurt and the entire league figured out how to shut him down.

stacked teams? what?

how did he keep leading us to postseason if they figured out how to shut him down?

What did Chad do in the Playoffs against Pitt?? No points from his offense and the fans hate Brien..LOL As a matter of fact Chad never had a TD pass against the Steelers in his career something that Sanchez and even Clemens have..Chad was a good guy and it was a shame he got hurt but he gets much more credit then he deserves..

Doesn't matter.  According to the almighty "wins" stat Rex Grossman should be our starting qb?  Correct?

1 season is an aberration, when it happens over and over it's not a fluke.  they had a weak conference, weak division and made the SB.

What did Chad do in the Playoffs against Pitt?? No points from his offense and the fans hate Brien..LOL As a matter of fact Chad never had a TD pass against the Steelers in his career something that Sanchez and even Clemens have..Chad was a good guy and it was a shame he got hurt but he gets much more credit then he deserves..

he was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder on the road against a  top D.  he didn't play great but we were in position twice to kick makeable FGs to win it.

You said nobody should expect to be hit at work and I disagreed.  It's unprofessional and unfortunate, but it happens.  How many players said yesterday that they've seen fights during their careers?  Didn't Percy Harvin punch a teammate before the super bowl?  These dudes are amped up a lot of the time and as soon as things go somewhere that they shouldn't, like arguing in a room full of people about money, you should expect anything. 

I've seen a couple of situations up close and personal where you could clearly see that a line had been crossed from disagreement to physical altercation and neither party was surprised by the development when it reached that point.

And I understand all of that and it is all totally irrelevant.  As Bowles as already stated. It was totally unacceptable under any circumstances.  That truly is all that matters, all the rationalizations in the world won't change that. 

stacked teams? what?

how did he keep leading us to postseason if they figured out how to shut him down?

Because we had the league's best offensive line, a HOF Running Back and a good defense.  And then in '06 we had the easiest schedule in the entire NFL by far.

Hell yes we would.  Seems to me like people are cool with QB's who have more turnovers than TD's.  I'm not.  Seems pretty simple to me.

6 wins blah blah blah.

Problem is I don't think he can duplicate those numbers.  Anymore than Geno was going to throw more picks than TDs given he only did it as a rookie.

That Fitz did it before doesn't say he will today.  Guess we'll see

Archived