5 Things to Know about New Jets QB FitzPatrick

JetBlue

Fitzpatrick and Chan Gailey have worked together before: Fitzpatrick’s best seasons came when he started for the Buffalo Bills with current Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey as his head coach. Fitzpatrick’s loose playing style and Gailey’s passing-based, spread offense resulted in Fitzpatrick throwing for 3,832 yards and 24 touchdowns in 2011,

I love how the author completely glossed over the fact that Fitz would wind up leading the league in interceptions in 2011 with 23 and after that 4-2 start, the Bills went 2-8, all with Fitz at QB.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody evaluates individual football players based on wins and losses.  Dan Marino is statistically a top 5 all-time QB in every category but I guess Trent Dilfer is better because he won a Super Bowl and Kordell Stewart has a better win-loss percentage so Kordell > Marino correct?

awesome argument.  please let me know when I evaluate based strictly on wins and losses.

I love how the author completely glossed over the fact that Fitz would wind up leading the league in interceptions in 2011 with 23 and after that 4-2 start, the Bills went 2-8, all with Fitz at QB.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/28/2907978/ryan-fitzpatrick-rib-injury-buffalo-bills

Chan Gailey Admits To Ryan Fitzpatrick Rib Injury

For much of the off-season, with news reports circulating that Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick played the last nine games of the 2011 season with two cracked ribs, head coach Chan Gailey and GM Buddy Nix have downplayed the story, claiming that Fitzpatrick was healthy enough to play. Fitzpatrick did not show up on the injury report in that stretch.

During a Tuesday interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, however, Gailey admitted that he did not know in-season the true extent of Fitzpatrick's injury, and attributed a particularly brutal three-game stretch to that problem.

Gailey is referring to the three games after a win over the Washington Redskins - the game in which Fitzpatrick got hurt - in which Fitzpatrick completed 54 percent of his passes, averaged 5.4 passing yards per attempt, had a 2-to-7 TD-to-INT ratio, and didn't have a single-game quarterback rating above 51.9. Buffalo lost those three games by a combined score of 106-26, falling from 5-2 to 5-5 in the process.

Could it be that people will "spew the same nonsense" because they have a valid point?  I too would argue that Fitz will get the ball in the end zone more often and turn it over less frequently than Geno because he has done that in five different seasons.

This team needs a QB who can get them 17-21 PPG which he was able to do 12 times in 2011, 11 times in 2012, 8 times in 13 starts in 2013, and in all eleven games he started and finished last season.

Do you believe that the Jets will average fewer than 17 PPG in 2015?

PPG can be overrated w/o context.  we don't need a QB who will make a 35-14 game 35-28.  we need a QB who will put meaningful points on the board.  Something Fitz has never been good at.

Eli has had more then that in 2013 he had 27, hell in 2007 he had 20 and thirteen fumbles and they won the Bowl.. 

Ok, you've just been doing it this entire thread.

show me?  b/c I bring up the FACT that Fitz has played on teams capable of at least contending for the playoffs and has never won more than 6 games that doesn't mean I am solely discussing wins and losses.  wins and losses are the most important stats but many things factor in.  Fitz has had chances and failed. 

Fitzpatrick does not have a weak arm. There's a reason why a QB from Harvard makes it in the NFL. He has to have a big arm.

It is amazing that people wanted to sign him in the offseason and are now dreading that he starts. 

Didn't want to sign him in the offseason and I am dreading him starting. 

Let me be clear. I don't think Geno is a good quarterback. I think there was a better chance that Geno would turn the corner and play well than Fitz suddenly becoming late-career Rich Gannon. 

Fitzpatrick does not have a weak arm. There's a reason why a QB from Harvard makes it in the NFL. He has to have a big arm.

It is amazing that people wanted to sign him in the offseason and are now dreading that he starts. 

He has a live arm.  I saw him play alot when he was in Buffalo.  Not saying he's got 90's Brett Favre arm strength but he can throw he's not like friggin Pennington who couldn't break a window throwing the football.

I don't care.  With our defense, if he can put up reasonable numbers than we should be fine.

We go to the Super Bowl with Ryan Fitzpatrick in 09 and 10

it's not about just #s, it's about making plays.  Lesser #s and more big plays will win games for us.

PPG can be overrated w/o context.  we don't need a QB who will make a 35-14 game 35-28.  we need a QB who will put meaningful points on the board.  Something Fitz has never been good at.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Fitz is able to put up two TD's and a FG per game.

Didn't want to sign him in the offseason and I am dreading him starting. 

Let me be clear. I don't think Geno is a good quarterback. I think there was a better chance that Geno would turn the corner and play well than Fitz suddenly becoming late-career Rich Gannon. 

No one's asking him to be Rich Gannon. If he throws more TDs than INT's, he's done great. And he's done that throughout his career.

No. I put him on ignore for suggesting that Pennington was ever better than Favre at anything for any stretch of time.

In 2008 Chad was BY FAR better than favre.  w/ a team w/ half the talent he led them to a div title while we couldn't even make the playoffs.  does that mean he was a better QB overall or had a better career? of course not but some folks don't/can't read.

The 10 losses in 2011 were all Fitz's fault it had nothing to do with the defense being complete pile of sh_t.

Nor did it have anything to do w/ a 7 game losing streak(after starting 5-2) where the O averaged 13 PPG.  the '85 Bears wouldn't have won much w/ an O averaging 13 PPG.

show me?  b/c I bring up the FACT that Fitz has played on teams capable of at least contending for the playoffs and has never won more than 6 games that doesn't mean I am solely discussing wins and losses.  wins and losses are the most important stats but many things factor in.  Fitz has had chances and failed. 

The 2011 Bills were capable of a playoff run?  Are you kidding me they're LUCKY they won 6 games that year.  Not only were the Patriots clearly a superior team so were the Dolphins and Jets.

The 2011 Bills were capable of a playoff run?  Are you kidding me they're LUCKY they won 6 games that year.  Not only were the Patriots clearly a superior team so were the Dolphins and Jets.

The dolphins were horrible and had a Fitz like QB in Matt Moore.  No excuse getting swept by them.  we were better but dysfunctional.  they didn't compete w/ NYJ or Mia- no excuse for that

It's realistic to expect Fitzpatrick to be in plenty of situations in which the Jets have the lead or are in a tie game if their defense is as good as advertised.

In those situations throughout his career, he has thrown 51 TD's to 22 INT's with a 61% comp pct.

Geno Smith when playing with the lead or a tie has 9 TD's to 10 INT's with a 57% comp pct.

Archived