How is it Possible that Cumby&Davis are our Starting TE's? WTF!

32EBoozer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear you but do we have a Pro Bowler anywhere?

we do have two corners who were pro bowlers a year ago.  Mangold? Sheldon? Mo should be.  Marshall is a pro bowl WR most years.  I can dream up some more but as long as we win I could care less how many pro bowlers we have.  The Chiefs had what 7 or 8 pro bowlers a couple of years ago without making the playoffs 

Amaros rookie numbers are very Gronk like year 1.  And he had Brady.  

Why on earth would we draft a TE in round 1 in 2010?  That Pats didn't even think he was worth a 1.  

This Amaro versus Gronk numbers comparison is  just as  Laughable as when Jet fans who used to use Eli Manning stats first couple years , versus Mark Sanchez .   To  some how make the case that was the path Sanchez was heading.

well that's why you have to have common sense to go along with stats.      Jace Amaro should never be compared to Gronk because there is a big disparity between both players.   Gronk is a real Te( can catch and block) while Jace Amaro can 't block , and isn't the most reliable player catching the football.( Amaro was going to line up At H-back- he isn't a TE)

Having Jace Amaro should never prevent a team from bringing in a true number 1 Te ( Te can block and is receiving threat).    You acquire that number 1 Te , and add that " number 2 Type of Te in Amaro than you have something special.

btw Mychal Rivera numbers were very Gronk like his rookie year- but you don't see me making silly statements  like that- because he isn't  Gronk - number 1 Te type( why Clive Walford was drafted)

38 catches to 42.  Amaro missed games.  I did say ballpark and QB and offense is a huge difference

If I was you, I would stop trying to make a Gronk / Amaro comparison now - ( it's like making revis / Kyle Wilson comparison).  Might have been funny the first time, but to keep harping on something so ridiculous like that, is just sad.    jace AMaro isn't in the same stratosphere when comparing him to Gronk.( are you watching the football games)

Having a jace Amaro again as your TE,  should never prevent a team from upgrading the position.

Name all the easily signable, FA TEs that are appreciably better and won't break the bank.

Fasano, Chandler,Clay, Cameron, Paul, Virgil Green, Daniels, Bear Pascoe, Tony Moeaki, Lance Kendricks, Dante Rosario, Jacob Tamme

and the whole "teams don't usually have two tight ends" argument is pretty lame when the Pats signed Scott Chandler after Gronk had a historic season.

Obviously, Mac, Bowles and Gailey aren't that worried about this or they would have addressed it. Or maybe they already have from within?

the real answer is Mac inherited the worst roster in the nfl thanks to Idzik and had umpteen holes to fill so he neglected tight end and figured Amaro would come around and keep Cumby off the field

Ah yes here we go:rolleyes: Rex had to guide Tanny and Idzik?? Ever hear of the scouting dept?? You know the head of which begged Tanny to take Wilson?? Now I suppose Rex begged Tanny to take Vlad and Hill..LOL

of course..but do the JETS scouting people and management really communicate?  I heard we scouted Wilson very hard but management over rode.

Regardless, our drafts have been so far below average last 5 years  (not counting Mac) and it shows in our record.

Everybody wants to cut Cumberland, but he is an NFL TE.  Not a good one, but a legit NFL TE.  Top 60 for sure. It's Kellen Davis I don't understand

he can't block and his career year as a "playmaking" receiver is 398 yards and 4 tds.  Cumberland wouldn't have a roster spot on most nfl teams let alone a starting gig

of course..but do the JETS scouting people and management really communicate?  I heard we scouted Wilson very hard but management over rode.

Regardless, our drafts have been so far below average last 5 years  (not counting Mac) and it shows in our record.

Tanenbaum vetoed drafting Wilson because we had just traded for Tebow.  Enter The Immortal Stephen Hill.

he can't block and his career year as a "playmaking" receiver is 398 yards and 4 tds.  Cumberland wouldn't have a roster spot on most nfl teams let alone a starting gig

He would get a roster spot on pretty much any team.  I'm not arguing he is a top TE, but he is top 60 and he was supposed to be backing up Amaro.  You scoff at 400 yards, but have the balls to bring up Bear Pascoe and Virgil Green?  My main point is that you are bitching about Cumberland who is head and shoulders the best TE on the roster.  Why not upgrade his backup?  

To your first point, thankfully they do now.   Second point, right on. We are way behind the 8 ball talent wise. 

He would get a roster spot on pretty much any team.  I'm not arguing he is a top TE, but he is top 60 and he was supposed to be backing up Amaro.  You scoff at 400 yards, but have the balls to bring up Bear Pascoe and Virgil Green?  My main point is that you are bitching about Cumberland who is head and shoulders the best TE on the roster.  Why not upgrade his backup?  

400 yards for a starting full time tight end on a team with no good WR's to get targets is not good.  It's actually terrible and he wouldn't make most nfl teams just a fact.

Not to defend Cumby because I dont think he's great by any means but it's not like the guy has had any consistency or talent at QB position to get him the ball.  He's a WR by trade and he's got some speed, so maybe he can do more than we've seen in a real offense with a decent QB.  He did finish the season strong with back to back games with a TD.  

Virgil Green was probably the Bronco's best all round Te( can catch and block) that Bronco's used primarily for his blocking. ( was underutilized big time as pass catcher- eventually everyone going to know what every Afc West fan knows about Virgil Green- He's a stud. .

Virgil Green is a way better TE ,( upside way higher than Amaro) than Jace Amaro.    There isn't  anything    Amaro can do better than him. Jmo Virgil Green is better than Julius Thomas.

Virgil Green was probably the Bronco's best all round Te( can catch and block) that Bronco's used primarily for his blocking. ( was underutilized big time as pass catcher- eventually everyone going to know what every Afc West fan knows about Virgil Green- He's a stud. .

Virgil Green is a way better TE ,( upside way higher than Amaro) than Jace Amaro.    There isn't  anything    Amaro can do better than him.

Virgil Green averages like 6 catches and 50 yards and .25 TDs per season.  #underutilized

Virgil Green averages like 6 catches and 50 yards and .25 TDs per season.  #underutilized

You do know the Te's the Bronco's had in front of him.     Without a doubt he was the Bronco's best blocker.  ( very good receiver)      with Julius Thomas gone , expect his numbers to improve tremendously.        

unfortunately  for me, the Broncos offense won't miss a beat with Virgil Green .       

You do know the Te's the Bronco's had in front of him.     Without a doubt he was the Bronco's best blocker.  ( very good receiver)      with Julius Thomas gone , expect his numbers to improve tremendously.        

unfortunately  for me, the Broncos offense won't miss a beat with Virgil Green .       

Jacob Tamme. Keeping the man down since 2012!

I don't have anything against Virgil Green.  I'm sure he will be fine, but the idea that a blocking TE that has never broken 10 catches, or 75 yards for a season is going to make these numbnuts happy is ridiculous.  He was also fairly pricey at a position the Jets will barely use. 

I don't have anything against Virgil Green.  I'm sure he will be fine, but the idea that a blocking TE that has never broken 10 catches, or 75 yards for a season is going to make these numbnuts happy is ridiculous.  He was also fairly pricey at a position the Jets will barely use. 

you never heard of a Te called Julius Thomas- what was his numbers with the Bronco's.    ( how much did he make in Free agency) Virgil Green is the way better Te than  even Julius Thomas- they just used Green more for his blocking( that blocking was instrumental in Thomas numbers being as good as they were, and the Bronco's ability to run the football so well)  .     Again Afc West fans know how good a receiver he can be, and  with Thomas gone watch his receiving numbers explode in Denver.

btw - you're short changing te's that are excellent blockers.    one of the Raiders biggest additions on offense( Te Lee Smith) is lucky if he catches 5 balls next season.   He's going to have as big effect on the Raiders offense as anyone.     You just want to have an all round Te to team ,with that blockingTe.( don't want him to be your number 1 option)

you never heard of a Te called Julius Thomas- what was his numbers with the Bronco's.    ( how much did he make in Free agency) Virgil Green is the way better Te than  even Julius Thomas- they just used Green more for his blocking .     Again Afc West fans know how good a receiver he can be, and  with Thomas gone watch his receiving numbers explode in Denver.

So the TE who is the better receiver in your mind AND a better blocker was not getting receptions because DEN insisted on trotting out an inferior TE ahead of him? Do you read anything you write before hitting the post reply button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you never heard of a Te called Julius Thomas- what was his numbers with the Bronco's.    ( how much did he make in Free agency) Virgil Green is the way better Te than  even Julius Thomas- they just used Green more for his blocking .     Again Afc West fans know how good a receiver he can be, and  with Thomas gone watch his receiving numbers explode in Denver.

Julius Thomas?  That was the only reason that Green hasn't put up numbers?  If that is the case, please explain how Jacob Tamme managed 80+ and 800+ yards over the past three seasons while Green ended up with 23/206/1 over the past 4.  Julius Thomas and Virgil Green were in the same draft class.  Thomas was hurt a ton, came from a smaller school, yet some how leapfrogged right past Green who was healthy and already getting plenty of run his first couple of years.  Meanwhile, Green was held back by the likes of Joel Dreesen, Daniel Fells and Dante Rosario. 

If Green were better than Julius Thomas he would have gotten more money.  Simple as that.

Archived