New deal for Darius, does it impact Mo?

AFJF

Tell it like it is! My god, when Coples slipped into his role when he was injured I didn't notice he was gone. Mo is an above average player, no more. Another Jet player overrated by the media & some fans. Mo disappears too much to get a crazy contract. As others have said he's Cam Jordan (who has slightly better #s than Mo on a worse defense).

He needs to really up his game this season & spending most of camp with a bad hammy was not a great start.

+1 Mo had his breakout year when Sheldon was drafted and won ROTY..

Due to injury risk and performance drop off I'd be really surprised if Maccags offers anyone a 6 year deal with gtees except a franchise QB.  His philosophy seems to be its ok to pay up as long as the years are limited (ala Revis, Harris, Cro, etc).  None of these mega long term deals in any sport (mostly baseball) seem to make sense over the length of the contract.  Better to overpay upfront and have less dead weight on the back end to manage.

Due to injury risk and performance drop off I'd be really surprised if Maccags offers anyone a 6 year deal with gtees except a franchise QB.  His philosophy seems to be its ok to pay up as long as the years are limited (ala Revis, Harris, Cro, etc).  None of these mega long term deals in any sport (mostly baseball) seem to make sense over the length of the contract.  Better to overpay upfront and have less dead weight on the back end to manage.

I don't think it is fair to claim to understand his strategy based upon this offseason. The Jets had a ton of cap space and were facing a future of needing to spend to reach the cap floor.  Thanks Idzik!  Under those circumstances it makes sense to spend now and keep the future open.  Besides, Revis has $40M in guarantees.  That isn't exactly a one year deal.  I don't think we know what he will spend like going forward.

Tell it like it is! My god, when Coples slipped into his role when he was injured I didn't notice he was gone. Mo is an above average player, no more. Another Jet player overrated by the media & some fans. Mo disappears too much to get a crazy contract. As others have said he's Cam Jordan (who has slightly better #s than Mo on a worse defense).

He needs to really up his game this season & spending most of camp with a bad hammy was not a great start.

I always love fans downgrading their own players.  As if this will save them from paying Mo with their own money.  Above average no more?  Mo is below average?  Overrated by the media.  LOL

For that type of $$$ the player has to be great on and off the field.  Dareus has already

had multiple issues off the field to the point he's suspended this weekend

This is how I feel as well. Not to diminish what he does on the field, but for someone to get that kind of guaranteed money they would need to be a little more stable character wise for my liking. Does no one remember Albert Haynesworth? The second he got his guaranteed money he purposely sh*t the bed. No one can deny his talent, but his character was in question when the skins signed him to that contract. 

Oh well. I guess I'm too wholesome for the world these days. WTF happened??? 

I don't think it is fair to claim to understand his strategy based upon this offseason. The Jets had a ton of cap space and were facing a future of needing to spend to reach the cap floor.  Thanks Idzik!  Under those circumstances it makes sense to spend now and keep the future open.  Besides, Revis has $40M in guarantees.  That isn't exactly a one year deal.  I don't think we know what he will spend like going forward.

All good points...

All good points...

Your points were good too.  There is a decent chance you are correct, but the situation is an unusual one that Maccagnan is not likely to be in again,

I said Idziks first year repeatedly that he should just do Mo's deal then when it became obvious he was hording money anyway. We would have gotten a better long term cap hit and we would have been ahead of the curb on JJ or Suhs deal. We're ****ed either way now

I don't think we had the money in 2013.  It would have been premature to sign Mo long term at that point with two years left at something like $1.5M and $7M.  I think this offseason was when it should have gotten done.  I wish they would have extended him last year or this offseason, but if they don't, they don't.  I'd love to have him back, but they will still have that $10M+ per kicking around.  Not signing your stud is not quite the same waste of resources as blowing draft picks.

Archived